How damaging do you think permanent dyes are?

MSCHICHI

I would prefer not to dye, but after bleaching my hair blonde my first year natural, I am having a hard time getting it to stay dark. I have tried to dye it dark 2 times. Once it looked too dark. Then it eventually lightened to the color it is now, a medium-reddish-sandy-dark brownish color, (dark brown toward the roots). Its actually kind of pretty, but as my hair starts to grow out it might not look as well. I also think it may continue to fade and look really light.

The other problem is, I don't want to lose any more elasticity in my hair. Even though I will be going darker, it will certainly affect the already color treated hair, and the newer hair growing in. I don't like rinses or semi-permanent dyes much, because I find they get all over everything even after they are already in. But I don't want any color damage. Actually, the darker hair from this year that is next to the lighter hair blends pretty well. I just want some uniformity.

Do you think I should just leave it alone until the lighter hair is gradually trimmed away, or try to use a gentle permanent dye? I am also looking for suggestion on a gentle dye if I decide to go that route. I might also be okay with a long lasting semi permanent color if anyone has suggestions on that as well.

G

I actually had this same exact problem. I was using a dark shade of hennalucent but I had to reapply that every month and it was starting to get on my nerves. So I tried a long lasting semi-permanent that has been for over 2 mo now! I tried Clairol's loving care.... it's working! I think Lumia and Open are also gentle permanent colors but I don't know how long they last.

Tracy

Another option for a long lasting semi-permenant is Bigen haircolor. It's similar to Hennalucent in that it's mixed with water and applied probably similarly. It lasts quite a while.

As far as permanent colors go - I do think they are quite damaging but if you slect one without Ammonia - like Textures and Tones - it can be less damaging. Ammonia raises the cuticle and leaves it open so that the color can penetrate and is often so strong that the cuticle takes a long time to close again - if ever. It's that open cuticle and the damage that ensues from the cortex being unprotected that leaves colored hair ultimately dry, dull looking and unmanageable. Using Textures and Tones (a recommendation from Valleygirl) was the best coloring experience I've had thus far. I didn't worry so much about fading tho since it was a light color. I'm not sure about how much and how quickly the color you apply will fade. But if you want to use another permanent color this would be my recommendation.

I highy suggest you try the Bigen tho. My natural color is a light sandy brown and I used to wear my hair jet black. I only used to have to use Bigen every 4-6 months. I basically used to get it done with every OTHER retouch.

Good luck.

MSCHICHI

Tracy,

I actually used to use Textures and Tones, but it was their lightest color (I toned it down with their bronze), I think the lightest blonde is the same color you use. I haven't gone that light or used that color in about a year though, and I couldn't remember if it had ammonia, thanks for the info. I also didn't know how a darker color would take, because like you, I had only used the lightest colors. It was the best experience that I had as far as lightening and conditioning color, but I wonder about their darker tones.

What do you think about bleaching hair and growing hair long? Part of the reason I have let my hair fade to this point, is to leave it lighter just in case I get an urge to dye it light again. The reason that stopped me from doing it is the weaking of the hair, and the constant touch-ups.

One last question, do you apply your Jazzing color right after you have dyed your hair, or do you wait until the next washing, and also, when do you apply the clear Sebastian's cellaphane? I wanted to know if I could put a clear cellaphane on immediately after a temporary or permanent darker color. Do you think I could just go for Sebastian colorshines w/ color instead of just clear, and get a good semi perm color with the same benefits of the clear colorshines? Much of your color info you used to have in your sig, but I haven't seen it in a while.

I know I asked several questions, but I was wondering what your thoughts were.

hairfanatic

When my hair used to be relaxed the permanent color was extremely damaging. Now that I am all natural, my hair seems to bounce back very quickly. I will say it also depends on the brand of dye. I used that Begin that's suppose to be better and that did the worst damage to my hair. When I use the Nice and Easy permanent hair color which is a lot stronger it doesn't do that kind of damage. This makes me wonder if hair dyes are similiar to lye versus no lye relaxers (certain ingredients that are true to form and those that are not).

J

just_me

I've used the Jazzing Blue Black. It might have lasted two shampoos.

I tried Bigen's Oriental Black. I wanted something more permanent. That stuff made my hair dry. The color was okay though. I think it started wearing off around the third or fourth wash.

Clairol's Textures and Tones Silken Black 1B was much better. No dry hair afterward and the color was dark like I wanted. The color started wearing off around the third shampoo. Next time I'll try using heat. Until my next application, I'm keeping the color fresh with Jazzing Blue Black.

My hair color experience is not the same as yours but you might find something helpful in my post. I vote for the Textures and Tones if you decide to go the route of a gentle dye.

just_me

Tracy

You are natural right Mschichi? If this is the case it is possible I think that you could retain more length than if you had a relaxer....If you DO have a realxer it is almost (not completely but almost) impossible to retain much length. Relaxing takes a lot out of the hair and bleaching will take the rest. If you only have the bleaching to consider, then I would say proceed with caution. Bleaching is an extremely strong process to allow the hair to undergo. You could do it if you really wanted to, but it would difficult. And I don't think the hair would ever really be gorgeous if you know what I mean.

Whether I'm using Jazzing or Colorshines (aka Sebastian or Cellophanes - all the same thing) I always wait one wash to apply it after dye. WHen I relax I do it the same day. If you are just wanting to color and then rinse, you could do it all at once (because the rinses have no ammonia or peroxide or any of the ingredients in relaxers) but I'm usually so drained from all the emotional anxiety that goes along with coloring /images/graemlins/smirk.gif that I wait. I also usually want to see what the final permanent color results are once m </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ] y hait is dry (since that's the real test) before I decide what color rinse to proceed with.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Do you think I could just go for Sebastian colorshines w/ color instead of just clear, and get a good semi perm color with the same benefits of the clear colorshines?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean here - could you clarify for me? No problem about the questions. Color is such a fun topic for me! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Happy to help.

LondonDiva

Clairol's Textures and Tones Silken Black 1B was much better. No dry hair afterward and the color was dark like I wanted. The color started wearing off around the third shampoo. Next time I'll try using heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just_me, I'm assuming this was the permanent colour right? If so did the colour never remain or did it wear off over time?

Why don't these permanent colours ever stay /images/graemlins/mad.gif

J

just_me

Hey LondonDiva,

The permanent color began fading around the third shampoo. The directions didn't say to use heat, but I'm gonna use heat next time.
I plan on coloring again within the next couple of weeks. I want to prime my hair first.

LondonDiva

That's kinda disheartening to hear. You'd think they'd be able to make a colour stay on your head permanently. It's probably better me sticking to semi-permanent colour then.

J

just_me

You'd think they'd be able to make a colour stay on your head permanently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl yes! Or at least 8 shampoos. I wash once per week, so that would give me about 2 months. I'd feel like I got my money's worth then.

MzRhonda

I was having the same problem as Caramela - I used hennalucent a few times but found that it rinsed out very quickly. I am now using level 2 (semi permanent) of loving care and it lasts much longer. Give it a try. I am afraid of permanent hair color.
Rhonda

MSCHICHI

Tracy,

I am natural. I think I will probably stay away from the bleaching again, but it was a thought at the back of my mind. I was asking specifically of your experiences because you are relaxed and you use the T&amp;T lightest blonde that I used to use, which is basically bleach, and wanted to know how your hair was doing with it and retaining length.

Oh and the Sebastian clear, I was wondering if the color version gave as much shine as the clear. That way I could skip a separate color application with the clear.

I am in a hurry, so I was skimming through the thread and hope I read the info correctly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Elyse

<font color="green">
I had colored hair for years and years and my color lasted better when I used shampoos and conditioners for color treated hair. Also staying out of the sun and out of the pool helped. </font color>

Tracy

The clear gives just as much shine Mschichi. The color that a Sebastian would add tho is not damaging like permanent colors. If you just want your colors to blend better choose a shade that will deepen the color on your ends just a bit and is color to the color of your roots. Based on your description of your color it sounds like cinnamon or liquid amber colorshines might be a good choice.

I say don't go with another permanent. Those ends will be off soon anyway if you'll be trimming at all and it makes no sense to compromise the intergirty of all of your hair just for those ends. The Textures and Tones is nice - but it's still a permanent color and it still takes it's toll. And given the girls' discussion about fading, I think it just makes more sense to use a semi-permanent in your case.

I have definitely been able to retain a lot of length (much to my suprise) since I colored. I did it in July sometime and my hair is definitely longer than it was then. I am wondering myself if I will redo my roots. I'd love to have my hair long and the color it is right now (my aunt in DR had hair this color - relaxed, waistlength - and it was so pretty....

But I wonder. We aren't in DR and between winter and everyone (including me! /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) trying to be a fashion model in NYC all the time, I think the average head of hair in this country takres more of a beating than one in DR (depending on the individual , of course).

MSCHICHI

I say don't go with another permanent. Those ends will be off soon anyway if you'll be trimming at all and it makes no sense to compromise the intergirty of all of your hair just for those ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right Tracy.

I would would be potentially damaging the hair growing in, and the already colored hair further just for a uniform color. Its not really worth it to me.

2 big things I have learned coloring (among many)

a) Permanent colors aren't really all that permanent (speaking more about darkening the hair). They usually fade drastically, and can often be damaging, even when darkening. The upside is they will leave some kind a permanent stain, and won't typically rub off.

b) Some Semi-permanent colors can be potentially damaging as well, but not usually with the depth and frequency of a permanent one. Often though, semi-perm colors will rub off on skin and clothes, and this is the biggest downside I think.

I think my best bet is to take this as an opportunity to play with the color a bit with cellophanes and maybe a gentle semi-permanent color. If I am lucky, I will find one that is less likely to rub off, and will be longer lasting.

Thank you Tracy, Caramela(I am going to look for the brand you mentioned), and everyone else for your input and advice.

I really like this thread though, so anyone feel free to continue with advice or experiences.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif