How did you break through a plateau?

Carrie A

So ladies. I straightened dry my hair a few days ago and IDK... I don't think I've retained any length this year. I guess my hair grew but I saw some areas that looked like breakage. My ends needed trimming badly too. I haven't done much with my hair this year and it stays "bunned" up. The last few years have been pretty consistent with growth retention and I could clearly see my progress at reveal time. This year not so much :ohwell:.

If you hit a plateau, what changes did you make to break through?

When I first started out at the tender age of 14, I remember being stuck at neck length FOREVER, and I remember I was only deep conditioning once a month. Once I started deep conditioning once a week, my growth took off. That's the only plateau I can distinctly remember overcoming. I feel like I'm at a plateau now that I'm grazing APL and since I haven't been protective styling for a minute, I've just put myself on a 6 month protective style rotation.

Deep conditioning every shampoo. Limit manipulation. Put hair up and away for very long stretches; 1-2 months of twists or braids (cowash and redo any loose ones as needed).

Try to forget about it, replace hair obsession time with life or a hobby you enjoy:grin:, it's hard but it helps alot.

I'm not trying to be a smart butt, it's just that's what helped me when I got impatient.

Avoiding textured styles. I'm relaxed but I feel like I got a tiny taste of what naturals complain about when battling SSKs. Doing continual braidouts - even if I kept it bunned - wreaked havoc on my ends. If you don't already, maybe try stretching your hair before bunning to minimize them, although you didn't mention SSKs being a problem.

i feel exaclty the same way...no retention .
there is one big mistake i do : i never deep condition. what was i thinking ????? ( ok im lazy like hell but this month im gonna start that à lot ( like min 2 à month minimum)

Back