Profectiv Break Free review.

RosesBlack

I picked up some Profectiv break free (the purple one) not too long ago and have been using it and it is my new leave in after I wash.

I co washed last night and blotted my hair with a towel until it wasn't dripping, ran some Profectiv through my hair, detangled and let it get to about 60% dry. Then I used a little more profectiv, put some coconut oil on my ends and bunned so I could go to sleep.

My hair was very soft this morning, and I noticed that using Profectiv my hair seems to air dry a little quicker.

Also I'm coming to the end of my stretch and it's helped tremendously with breakage along the demarcation line. I highly recommend it.

Does anyone know where I can get a big jar? I can never find the big jars of Profectiv locally so I'll order some.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
That's great! It's so hard to find products that help detangle newgrowth!

I really like Profectiv moisturizers, I used to baggy with them back in the day :giggle:

It's wonderful and has been my staple for years, yes it has been discontinued and there lies my dilemma as well. I prefer the Break Free over the Mega Growth because it's creamier and has less oil in it, but they both work on keeping breakage at bay. I wanted my Break Free but needed a leave in immediately so I opted to make a store run.

At the beauty supply store I went in to find Profectiv and seen that the lesser known Strong & Healthy (http://www.strong-n-healthy.com/) and Profectiv were sitting right next to each other on the shelf. I did a bit of research when I got home since the products looked so similar, and found that they are both made by the same company (Strength of Nature). Strong and healthy is pretty much the same as Break Free; the packaging and color is the same, the only diff is the lady on the label. Unfortunately, I ran out of Break Free on Saturday and purchased and used Strong and Healthy for the first time Sunday. I haven't had the chance to wash and use it on 'naked' hair. It feels pretty much the same, but if you really want to purchase Break free big and reg sized jars you can go here. I may do so and stock up:

http://www.texasbeautysupply.com/pro804.html
http://www.texasbeautysupply.com/pro804.html

Last edited:

RosesBlack

Thank you ladies.

Texas Beauty supply has the big jars too. I've never seen (or noticed) the Strong n healthy I'll keep my eye out for that one too.

Breakfree has not been discontinued, i bought a jar last week. mega-growth is something else in itself, it didnt replace anything.

That would be good news, but either they are discontinuing it, no longer selling it in certain regions, or your beauty supply store bought a large supply of it and is still getting rid of it. I've been looking for it for about two months now, and where I live Walmart, Sallys, and the 2 large beauty supply stores I go to, all say it has been discontinued. I used to be able to purchase it from any of these stores. The good part is online you can find almost anything even when it's been discontinued, but at the same time, I don't want old product that has been sitting on the shelves for long periods of time either.

Coffee

I just checked the Sally's in my area and they still have it. I'm going to pick up a jar tomorrow as I'm trying to stretch until the 1st of July.

That would be good news, but either they are discontinuing it, no longer selling it in certain regions, or your beauty supply store bought a large supply of it and is still getting rid of it. I've been looking for it for about two months now, and where I live Walmart, Sallys, and the 2 large beauty supply stores I go to, all say it has been discontinued. I used to be able to purchase it from any of these stores. The good part is online you can find almost anything even when it's been discontinued, but at the same time, I don't want old product that has been sitting on the shelves for long periods of time either.

oh wow. . . i guess im going to buy me an extra jar or two before they all run out. thanks.

BrooklynSouth

Discontinued???????? Oh shucks...the Korean BSSs have a lot-sometimes the bonus sizes..better stock up..I love this stuff..gives shampooed hair a great slippery start and great for the nights I comb and braid..so tomorrow there goes my budget.

oh wow. . . i guess im going to buy me an extra jar or two before they all run out. thanks.

No problem. :) At least for now you don't have to worry about it...hopefully they are only stopping shipments in certain areas--like mine:perplexed. It really sucks though...ok, I guess I will go to bed;)

sunshinelady

Okay, I called the company to see what the deal was. The lady, Dee, I talked to said that Break Free has not been discontinued and that they are still making it.

What boggles my mind is that I have heard from at least 3 places that it was discontinued, all the bottles I've found were old, and we've heard from multiple people on here that they can't find it anywhere.

She said the best place to look was online. She said that if anyone was having trouble, to call the company and they could sell in bulk, 3-4 bottles at the time.

I guess all the retailers are dropping anything that doesn't say growth....since that is all black folks care about.

Okay, I called the company to see what the deal was. The lady, Dee, I talked to said that Break Free has not been discontinued and that they are still making it.

What boggles my mind is that I have heard from at least 3 places that it was discontinued, all the bottles I've found were old, and we've heard from multiple people on here that they can't find it anywhere.

She said the best place to look was online. She said that if anyone was having trouble, to call the company and they could sell in bulk, 3-4 bottles at the time.

I guess all the retailers are dropping anything that doesn't say growth....since that is all black folks care about.

That's great news! However, I wonder why the retailers near me are saying that it's been discontinued and no longer have it in stock:pinocchio?

Hopefully, these places will begin selling it again. Well, even if they don't; I'm glad to know that I can buy it online and it won't be old and crusty. This made my day--Thanks!

sunshinelady

That's great news! However, I wonder why the retailers near me are saying that it's been discontinued and no longer have it in stock:pinocchio?

Hopefully, these places will begin selling it again. Well, even if they don't; I'm glad to know that I can buy it online and it won't be old and crusty. This made my day--Thanks!

Girl me too. She said they are lying. She also said breakfree has a shelf life of 3 years, so check your bottles for dates.

RosesBlack

You are awesome.

I have a hard time finding their products consistently locally so I will probably just start ordering them in bulk and putting them into my hair stuff container.

Coffee

Even though Sally's online shows they have it, the one I went to today didn't have any. I ordered some online from Walgreens, it was $4.99, I ordered 3. I also ordered some PROFECTIV MEGAGRWTH DEEP COND since the shipping amount was still the same.

sunshinelady

You are awesome.

I have a hard time finding their products consistently locally so I will probably just start ordering them in bulk and putting them into my hair stuff container.

You're welcome. I was bit bothered by it, so I decided to call. Since Dee offered, you might as well call them to get it. At least you'll know it is super fresh.

The last bottles I bought a few months back were from 2005. There was some type of promotion they ran and it was over in Aug. 2005. I guess I should throw mine out. I wonder if that has something to do with why my hair has been breking.