How did you learn to pray?

inthepink

It seems like some Christians are just given this gift of knowing how to pray - specifically out loud in front of other people.

Is this a gift? Or can anyone learn how to do this?

Last night, I met a wonderful lady from my new church and we just go on so well. At the end of the evening, she wanted to pray before we departed and she said a beautiful prayer.

I always worry that if I'm asked to pray while in a group or bible study or something or maybe even once I meet a guy, I won't know how or what to say.

I hope you all get what I mean - it's hard to explain...

PinkPebbles

I was introduced to bed time prayer as a child by my grandmother. But it was the "Now you lay me down to sleep prayer...."

However, I learned more about prayer in church. At my old church they held classes and seminars on how to pray effectively using the word of God. It helped me out a lot in my prayer life.

On another note, some people have the gift of intercessory prayer. And this is my gift.

inthepink

I was introduced to bed time prayer as a child by my grandmother. But it was the "Now you lay me down to sleep prayer...."

However, I learned more about prayer in church. At my old church they held classes and seminars on how to pray effectively using the word of God. It helped me out a lot in my prayer life.

On another note, some people have the gift of intercessory prayer. And this is my gift.

I think is where the problem started. I only knew this and the Lord's Prayer growing up. I would say those at night (in my head) and also many "bless this person...etc etc.).

I would love to attend a seminar on how to pray. I just have read online about it.

What a great gift you have! Thank you for sharing.

PinkPebbles

I think is where the problem started. I only knew this and the Lord's Prayer growing up. I would say those at night (in my head) and also many "bless this person...etc etc.).

I would love to attend a seminar on how to pray. I just have read online about it.

What a great gift you have! Thank you for sharing.

You'll enjoy it!

A great book to have is "The Power of a Praying Woman" by Stormie Omaritan.

The key to powerful prayer is praying God's word and trusting in His Word. For example: If you have fear about a situation you can pray God's word to eliminate the fear...

Father God, your word declares that You haven't given me the spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind. I choose this day to walk in that authority because greater is He that lives inside of me than He that is in the world. You have called me to be the head and not the tail. Therefore, I am more than a conqueror and can do all things through Christ Jesus that strengthens me. I declare peace right now, the peace that surpasses all understanding that will guard my heart and mind in Jesus Name.

This was just an example of how you pray using the word of God.

Last edited:

inthepink

You'll enjoy it!

A great book to have is "The Power of a Praying Woman" by Stormie Omaritan.

The key to powerful prayer is praying God's word and trusting in His Word. For example: If you have fear about a situation you can pray God's word to eliminate the fear...

Father God, your word declares that You haven't given me the spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind. I choose this day to walk in that authority because greater is He that lives inside of me than He that is in the world. You have called me to be the head and not the tail. Therefore, I am more than a conqueror and can do all things through Christ Jesus that strengthens me. I declare peace right now, the peace that surpasses all understanding that will guard my heart and mind in Jesus Name.

This was just an example of how you pray using the word of God.

A good friend of mine has her own little bible study club based on this book. I will have to add it to my amazon wish list and get it soon!

See, those words are so beautiful and so meaningful. I just never get words like that in my mind. Maybe it is something one has to learn.

I have a book of prayers that I found from an online Christian group. Is it ok to use these in the meantime? I just read them out loud sometimes. They have them listed by subject.

I've also found some prayer guides online - it will list verses by topic but I am still unclear as to how to actually use them.

kandake

I learned through books, sunday school classes focused on prayer, church membership and just listening to other people pray.

When I was married I would have my ex-dh do our family prayer because he was so good at it. After a while he would force me to do it so that I would get over my fear of praying out loud. I still have a long way to go but I'm much better. (My fear of public speaking gets in the way)

My pastor had a sermon several years ago about prayer. His sermon was based on the ACTS prayer model: Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication. This helps to organize your thoughts.

Knowing the bible helps too. Also, just remember that it doesn't have to be grand and holier than thou. Talk to God as if you're talking to your friend

inthepink

I learned through books, sunday school classes focused on prayer, church membership and just listening to other people pray.

When I was married I would have my ex-dh do our family prayer because he was so good at it. After a while he would force me to do it so that I would get over my fear of praying out loud. I still have a long way to go but I'm much better. (My fear of public speaking gets in the way)

My pastor had a sermon several years ago about prayer. His sermon was based on the ACTS prayer model: Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication. This helps to organize your thoughts.

Knowing the bible helps too. Also, just remember that it doesn't have to be grand and holier than thou. Talk to God as if you're talking to your friend

I think this is part of it! I actually said the prayer for Thanksgiving last year!

This is a struggle also - worrying that I'm not good enough and don't know enough scriptures to pray out loud appropriately.

Thanks for sharing your experience. :yep:

PinkPebbles

A good friend of mine has her own little bible study club based on this book. I will have to add it to my amazon wish list and get it soon!

See, those words are so beautiful and so meaningful. I just never get words like that in my mind. Maybe it is something one has to learn.

I have a book of prayers that I found from an online Christian group. Is it ok to use these in the meantime? I just read them out loud sometimes. They have them listed by subject.

I've also found some prayer guides online - it will list verses by topic but I am still unclear as to how to actually use them.

Hairlove- I've written the example prayer but those are scriptures in the bible. I can remember a scripture but sometimes I forget where it's located in the bible. So the key is to know the word of God and His promises so you can speak it over your life and any situation you come against.

It takes time to get the hang of it. It was encouraged and a mandate for me to pray like this because I was part of the prayer ministry in my old church. I couldn't just pray anything. I had to speak the word of God.

I recommended Stormie Omaritan (sp) so you can get an idea on how to pray using God's word.

If you have the book of prayers as you mentioned above. Yes, you can use those until you get the hang of it. Also practice writing out your own prayers using the word of God. It doesn't have to be long and drawn out. We don't have to impress but want effective meaningful prayers. God knows our heart!

mrselle

Like many of you, my mother and grandmother introduced me to prayer. It was the "Now I lay me down to sleep..." followed by the "God bless...". As a teen my prayers were still pretty general, but I talked to God like He was my friend. I actually learned to *really* pray through books, my prayer partner and listening to different people in church. My prayer partner has a way of praying that when she is done I know without a shadow of a doubt that God heard us praying. I can literally *feel* it. I've heard ministers, deacons and various people in the church pray in that same way. I can pray with that same fire and passion, but it requires a lot of preparation for me....it's like I have to be in that zone. One thing I've always been told is that God likes it when you remind Him what His word says. So, I will speak the word back to Him. I also find that if I just start out thanking God, I'm able to get in that zone and the rest just flows.

inthepink

I did not really understand nor ever heard of "praying God's word." But now that I know and I've read a little on the internet, I completely get it now.

Thank you all for sharing - would love to hear more and from others, too. :)

HeChangedMyName

Of course as a kid, I did the bedtime prayer. Then as I got older my mother just told me, you can pray to God in whatever way you want, tell him or ask him anything and then listen for his answer. She taught me that the only requirement in prayer was that you say it in Jesus's name Amen. . .Other than that, I think I pray just how I speak.

Glib Gurl

I would like to do this also. In high school I took a prayer class (I went to Catholic school) and it was about different forms of prayer (meditation, creative arts worship, etc.) but honestly most of the time when I try to pray lately I feel really distracted . . . I'm thinking of trying to journal my prayers for a while . . . just to get some linear thoughts down (and not be all over the place like I usually am).

mrselle

I want to add that something else I learned is to pray the solution, not the problem. Thank God in advance for answered prayer. I can tell you that this works. Many times, I have focused on the solution instead of the problem and God turned it around for me sooner than I ever expected.

inthepink

Of course as a kid, I did the bedtime prayer. Then as I got older my mother just told me, you can pray to God in whatever way you want, tell him or ask him anything and then listen for his answer. She taught me that the only requirement in prayer was that you say it in Jesus's name Amen. . .Other than that, I think I pray just how I speak.

I do the same! I really just - like you said - pray how I speak. I pray all day long in just talking to God. :yep:

I'm not saying in this thread, that I don't know how to pray at all - I do! Thank God for that! I mean more that I do not know how to pray out loud in groups or in front of people!

inthepink

I would like to do this also. In high school I took a prayer class (I went to Catholic school) and it was about different forms of prayer (meditation, creative arts worship, etc.) but honestly most of the time when I try to pray lately I feel really distracted . . . I'm thinking of trying to journal my prayers for a while . . . just to get some linear thoughts down (and not be all over the place like I usually am).

I can journal prayers much better also.

I had kept a journal for a few years - journaling to God, I later realized. As I re-read some of what I wrote, I realized they were actually prayers, I had written.

I guess the only thing I can do is practice and be willing to learn.

inthepink

I want to add that something else I learned is to pray the solution, not the problem. Thank God in advance for answered prayer. I can tell you that this works. Many times, I have focused on the solution instead of the problem and God turned it around for me sooner than I ever expected.

This makes sense. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ramya

I bought a book and learned the many kinds of prayers. :eek:

I also have a book for when I need 'emergency' prayers and can't get my thoughts out. I don't leave the house without it. Shimmie posted the link to it and it has really been a blessing.

inthepink

I bought a book and learned the many kinds of prayers. :eek:

I also have a book for when I need 'emergency' prayers and can't get my thoughts out. I don't leave the house without it. Shimmie posted the link to it and it has really been a blessing.

I believe I have the book you're talking about - it's Red and just has a bunch of prayers. I remember ordering it after seeing the link here.

I am going to purchase an actual book by Stormie and I also saw that Beth Moore has one, too.

Thank you ladies!

mscocoface

I can't remember a time when I did not hear prayer in my life. I come from a family of pastors, evangalists, gospel singers, missionaries, Mother Board members, Deacons, church nurses and the likes.

Another lady and I are going to be teaching about prayer in our women's bible study in September. We are going about it in a few different ways.

1. Pull the example of all the different people in the bible who prayed and discuss them and their prayers.

2. Give examples of the different ways in which people pray. Some with scripture, some pray the same thing over and over, some pray as though they are holding a conversation, etc.

3. Show the different examples and tools used for praying. The red book you ladies are discussing, another book of prayers.

4. Do an actual study that Stormie created about the power of a praying woman.

We had noticed that some of the ladies who are new to Christianity and even some who have been at it a while are somewhat intimidated for whatever reason about praying. Our goal or desire is that everyone in our group will no longer have those issues and that they will teach others about praying or at least be the example in their households and around their friends and family.

PinkPebbles

I was reading my daily devotional book this morning and the author quoted a profound scripture in the book of Ephesians 6:17. "The sword of the Spirit is the word of God."

I meditated on this scripture and said that's why it's good to pray God's word out loud because it's our sword against obstacles and spiritual battles. When we speak and pray the word of God out loud we are quenching all the fiery darts that come up against us.

Also, faith comes by hearing the word of God. The more we profess God's word over our situation it gives us hope, increases our faith and perhaps others (in group prayers) to believe that the Lord will lead, guide us and work it out for our good!

Hairlove...this is a great thread! Although your topic is How did you learn to pray? I'm persoanlly going deeper with the question by asking myself "why it was important that I was taught to pray God's word" :)

kandake

I was reading my daily devotional book this morning and the author quoted a profound scripture in the book of Ephesians 6:17. "The sword of the Spirit is the word of God."
:)

Oh yes, the armor of God.

To add to your passage. I love this one too.

Hebrew 4:12-
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

inthepink

I meditated on this scripture and said that's why it's good to pray God's word out loud because it's our sword against obstacles and spiritual battles. When we speak and pray the word of God out loud we are quenching all the fiery darts that come up against us.

Also, faith comes by hearing the word of God. The more we profess God's word over our situation it gives us hope, increases our faith and perhaps others (in group prayers) to believe that the Lord will lead, guide us and work it out for our good!

Hairlove...this is a great thread! Although your topic is How did you learn to pray? I'm persoanlly going deeper with the question by asking myself "why it was important that I was taught to pray God's word" :)

Thank you for doing so and coming back to share what you've learned.

Now that I know, it is something I will focusing on learning.

HeChangedMyName

I do the same! I really just - like you said - pray how I speak. I pray all day long in just talking to God. :yep:

I'm not saying in this thread, that I don't know how to pray at all - I do! Thank God for that! I mean more that I do not know how to pray out loud in groups or in front of people!

ok, got ya! hmmm, I would say, honestly, just let the spirit lead you. I recently was at dance rehearsal and we were just talking about issues and trying to make sure we were all on one accord, I mentioned prayer, just as an option. The leader was like, ok, let's all hold hands and pray, now, SuperNova you lead us. for a split second I was like :blush: cuz I had never prayed in front of anyone. Then I said in my spirit, God give me the words. Girlllll, I submitted and let God lead it. I actually felt like it was someone else praying, just coming out of my mouth.

inthepink

ok, got ya! hmmm, I would say, honestly, just let the spirit lead you. I recently was at dance rehearsal and we were just talking about issues and trying to make sure we were all on one accord, I mentioned prayer, just as an option. The leader was like, ok, let's all hold hands and pray, now, SuperNova you lead us. for a split second I was like :blush: cuz I had never prayed in front of anyone. Then I said in my spirit, God give me the words. Girlllll, I submitted and let God lead it. I actually felt like it was someone else praying, just coming out of my mouth.

That's wonderful! You asked and you received!

Usually, I've been in studies where you're told that you don't have to pray out loud if you don't feel comfortable.

I had also been in a study with a self-righteous type person who assumed that since he knew how to pray out loud and felt comfortable with it that everyone did. So he would sort of "order" us to go around the room and pray. I wish I had stood up for myself. (But I left that group so it doesn't matter now.)

Not comparing your situation b/c it doesn't sound at all like what I mean. I think she probably asked you to pray since you brought it up so she probably figured you were ok with it. :)

PinkPebbles

Oh yes, the armor of God.

To add to your passage. I love this one too.

Hebrew 4:12-
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Thank you so much for posting this scripture! It's powerful and I'm going to add it to my notes on prayer.