But HOW do you pray...??

golden bronze

I recently had a discussion with my bff/sister about prayer. She only says the Lord's prayer because she admits that many times the honestly she doens't know what to prayer for, but she knows God knows.

I pray the Lord's prayer, but also specific an intercessory prayers for others. I don't think there is any right way to pray, or that we have to ame it and claim it or be specific to pray.

How do you pray? What have you learned in your prayerlife?

Mocha5

I actually say The Lord's Prayer when I'm lazy. :blush: Generally, my prayers are of thanksgiving and intercession. For me, I've learned that unhurried, quiet prayer time is the best. Time that I can get before Him with whatever and just listen. These are the times that I've heard from Him most often. When questions were answered immediately.

This is a good question. As I was searching today for a story to post in the "Angel" thread, I came across a transcript of Della Reese on Larry King Live. She was speaking specifically about one of her prayers. It gave me chills. :blush: I'm going to find it. Be back.

Mocha5

Here it is. She's speaking of her former show, "Touched by an Angel." I hope you're blessed by it Golden. I was. :yep:

REESE: I want to go. I don't have a chance to go, because we work from the 15th of July until after the 15th of May. So when I get through with that, I want to lay down a lot. I've been making movies in between, but I want to go back to work. I miss singing. It's a part of me.

KING: You say you want to do three more years of the show...

REESE: Absolutely.

KING: ... because you're still loving it, right?

REESE: Absolutely. I was promised by God that we should do it for 10 years. So that' why I'm secure in the fact that we will.

KING: All right, when you say promised, God talk to you now?

REESE: Absolutely. See, you just like the rest of them. Yes, he does. Talks to me.

KING: How does he talk to you, Della?

REESE: It just -- just like I'm talking to you. I hear him just like I'm talking to you. When "Touched by Angel" came up, I told you I didn't want to do this anymore, because of what had happened. And I went to -- my husband told me -- my husband is a spiritual man, too. He said don't turn this down, ask God about it. So I went in, got in my bed, and I'm sitting in my bed, and I said, "Father, you know, I don't want to do this. You know why I don't want to do this. I don't like this and I don't like that. And I don't like the other, and it's clearly as I'm speaking to you, he said, "Do this for me." I would let that be. I'm so much smarter than God. I started to explain to him what he didn't know about why I didn't want to do this, see. And I'm explaining, and he listened to all this stupid stuff. And when I finished, he said, "Do this for me. And you can retire in 10 years.

KING: You're a piece of work, you know it?

REESE: Am I?

KING: You heard a voice say that?

KING: A distinct male voice?

REESE: Absolutely. A voice. I don't know if it was male or female. I never stopped to think about that. It was just a very profound voice. And it's so funny to me. When I went -- when they sent us home after 13 weeks, I said to the people on the job. the crew, "Don't take another job. I know you've got work to make living, but don't get hung up on anything, because we're coming back next season, and we're going to be the hit of the season. I know this is true because God told me so." OK, so everybody did just like you did: "Oh, you heard a voice? Did you hear a voice?" We came back and we were the hit of the season. And man for man, one by one, they said, "Come here, Dell. What did God say about next season?"

(LAUGHTER)

KING: You got a pipeline, right?

KING: You think everybody could have it?

REESE: Everybody has it. You just don't use it.

KING: Thank you, Della.

REESE: God bless you.

KING: God bless you. Della Reese. If you look up the term, "one of a kind" in a dictionary, you get her picture. Della Reese, the star of "Touched by Angel." By the way, check out my Web site. Log on to cnn.com/larryking, and you can send us an e-mail.

BrooklynSouth

Every morning aloud: THE LORD'S PRAYER, 23rd. Psalm and the PRAYER OF JABEZ. Throughout the day I silently pray one or all and I sing hymns out loud or silently throughout my day.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I talk to Him everyday. Much of it like 'Della Reese, I'm always talking to God about something / someone. I go through various levels of prayer, worship, intercessory, my prayer language, in song, actual conversation; I'm in prayer of some form constantly all day and even in my sleep. :yep:

I know...that sounds strange, that I pray in my sleep, but in Psalm 16, God says He counsels my reigns in the night seasons. He speaks to each of us when we are asleep, for our minds and our spirits are at rest and less distracted from the world. While I am sleeping, I listen and speak and that's really all prayer is, talking to God our Father. :yep:

The format is not what defines prayer, it's the heart. God says we are to worship Him in spirit and in truth. And however we speak and worship Him, He is pleased with us as ourselves in truth and not a pretense. Just speak your heart, be it The Lord's Prayer or a heartfelt Amen, just speak your heart. :giveheart: :pray:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I use this pattern for prayer that I found in a book. I don't follow every single step, but it's a good guide to getting me to think about things to pray about. Here's the outline:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I. Begin with a period of praise and thanksgiving (5-10 mins)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. Give thanks for past, present, and future blessings[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B. Praise God for who He is[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C. Freely worship and adore Him[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]II. Continue with confession and repentance (5-10 mins)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. Ask God to search your thoughts and attitudes[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B. Carefully examine your speech[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C. Ask God to thoroughly search your relationships[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D. Confess any sins of commission and be sure to forsake the sins God [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]reveals[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]E. Confess any sins of omission and make a definite commitment to [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]obedience[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]F. Resolve to fully repent of any known sin of thought, word or deed[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]G. Ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]H. Be sure to utilize a thorough biblical tool designed to search all [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]areas of your life with God's Word[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]III. Prayers of Personal Petition (10-15 mins)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. Pray for the development of character and holiness[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B. Pray for your ministry and service to God[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C. Pray for physical, emotional, spiritual, and financial needs[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IV. Prayers of Intercession (10-20 mins)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. Pray for needs of family and friends[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B. Pray for your pastor and church[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C. Pray for specific lost people[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D. Pray for missionaries and mission efforts[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]E. Pray for revival and spiritual awakening[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V. Meditation and Assessment[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A. Reflect on key points of Scripture reading and prayer time[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B. Assess what God has impressed to your heart[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C. Write down key impressions in a daily journal[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D. End your time with thanksgiving for God's presence.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*Source: Frizzell, Dr. Gregory R. How to Develop a Powerful Prayer Life: The Biblical Path to Holiness and Relationship with God. The Master Design. 1999.[/FONT]