Learning how to pray in public...

Kinkyhairlady

Ladies one of my biggest fears is being picked on in Sunday school or service to pray. When I hear others pray the words just flow so perfectly and you feel the spirit. Me I just have no idea how to really pray a moving prayer in public. I'm praying alone about this but I was wondering where I can find direction on this issue. I know when you start a prayer to always start with Father in heaven, second ask for forgiveness after that hmm I'm not sure what to say if the prayer is in public. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Divine.

I'm in the same boat as you. I can speak a powerful prayer over my own life but not so much over others. I think it all comes down to my fear of public speaking. I cannot speak impromptu either. So it's not so much idk how to pray, rather I just have a fear of speaking publicly.

I wanna get over this but idk where to start. I'm curious to see what other ladies have to say.

Kinkyhairlady

I'm in the same boat as you. I can speak a powerful prayer over my own life but not so much over others. I think it all comes down to my fear of public speaking. I cannot speak impromptu either. So it's not so much idk how to pray, rather I just have a fear of speaking publicly.

I wanna get over this but idk where to start. I'm curious to see what other ladies have to say.

Bumping this thread cause I know there are others who need help with this. It's not just us. So many are terrified to pray in public.

JaneBond007

Ladies one of my biggest fears is being picked on in Sunday school or service to pray. When I hear others pray the words just flow so perfectly and you feel the spirit. Me I just have no idea how to really pray a moving prayer in public. I'm praying alone about this but I was wondering where I can find direction on this issue. I know when you start a prayer to always start with Father in heaven, second ask for forgiveness after that hmm I'm not sure what to say if the prayer is in public. Any advice will be much appreciated.

My advice is not to do it. Pray in private. Make it personal to you. If, in future, you are so easily in-tune with praying to the Father that you can offer up a prayer in public, you will not be worried that it's moving others. I know exactly what you mean. This is one reason I like communal prayers where everyone does them - the same worded prayers. Takes a lot of worrying out of the equation. Is someone trying to get you to do public prayers? That's spiritually harmful if you are not ready because the focus becomes how you sound, look and how others receive it rather than what the prayer is actually to the Father. Why are they picking certain people to pray in public? Bible class or the service? I'd keep in the back, kinda hidden and ask G-d to preserve you from doing something you are not ready to do. :lol: I've been there lol.

Kinkyhairlady

My advice is not to do it. Pray in private. Make it personal to you. If, in future, you are so easily in-tune with praying to the Father that you can offer up a prayer in public, you will not be worried that it's moving others. I know exactly what you mean. This is one reason I like communal prayers where everyone does them - the same worded prayers. Takes a lot of worrying out of the equation. Is someone trying to get you to do public prayers? That's spiritually harmful if you are not ready because the focus becomes how you sound, look and how others receive it rather than what the prayer is actually to the Father. Why are they picking certain people to pray in public? Bible class or the service? I'd keep in the back, kinda hidden and ask G-d to preserve you from doing something you are not ready to do. :lol: I've been there lol.

Unfortunately sometimes you are called on to pray in Sunday school or if you are an usher after collecting offering. You can't just say no you have to pray.

Kinkyhairlady

In Sunday school the last person to enter the room has to pray when we end. I was almost the last person but this other girl was behind so she prayed. She prayed so well that I swear some people were about to catch the Holy Ghost. If it was me I have no clue what to say. I agree it's not right but many churches do it I guess to get folks out their shell, idk.

pearlygurl

STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS!!!!

It's hard for you to pray in public because your focus is other people rather than the One you're praying to. Hey I've been there thinking "how will I sound or what if nobody responds to my prayer like they do to other people."

The good this is God is not concerned about all of that but rather your heart. When you pray focus on just talking to Him and forget about trying to move or impress everyone else. Your prayer will be sincere and God (who's opinion is the only one that matters on this subject) will be pleased.

cutiebe2

I don't care how others pray, If I am asked to pray, I pray how I want :look: In college with fellowship is when I first heard people praying in a certain way, calling "father" several times, using certain phrases, and having very long prayers. Its not me and its not the religious culture I was raised in. Both my parents use standard prayers if they are praying out loud, maybe they add something extra tailored to the occasion. I understand what you are saying because at first I felt pressure to conform. Once I got a bit deeper in my faith that changed. My prayer is between me and God.

blazingthru

I totally feel you, but the more you do it the better it gets. Also, one thing that has made it better for me, is to memorize scripture this should be a daily thing.

Start praying out loud at home with someone or for someone. Pray while washing dishes. I pray around my kids, I use to get a lump in my throat but I refused to give up. I would do it anyway AND it never ever has to be long. it can be very short. I praise while walking down the streets not loud but doing something for 21 days I heard makes it a habit. I pray at church all the time, I am not a good prayer person by no means, but it doesn't matter, Its to God you are speaking to.
I am Adventist and at my church there is prayer all the time. Over everything at the start and end of every meeting and gathering. So believe me you will be called to pray and you can't say no at no time. So what I love is you can pray as long as you want or as short as you want. After talking with my friends at church someone would offer to pray and what a blessing that is.

When praying for someone you should find out what the need is and its really good to know the promises of God. Make it a habit to learn a new promise each week. and pray it back to God. Now if you really want to get God's attention pray back his promises. These are his words that will never come back void. As long as its his will for your life. you always ask if its within your will. Even when praying for someone else.

A week ago I was talking to my cousin/sister on the phone and I was telling her the reason why I have not fallen into despair and she quoted a scripture to me and it blew my mind and lifted my spirits. When you pray for someone nothing will lift them like the word of God and reminding them that God has already made a claim on their life and their situation.
1 Corinthians 2:9
King James Version (KJV)
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

this is one of the scriptures I think of when I think of not having a car anymore and having to do things I rather not do. But praying is just a conversation with God and who cares what anyone else thinks. I am still struggling with praying out-loud. I forget folks names or while we are even there. Its terrible, but I press onward, I sigh a lot too. I wish the words flowed easily but they do not. But all that matters is my willingness to communicate with God.

bellatiamarie

I totally feel you, but the more you do it the better it gets. Also, one thing that has made it better for me, is to memorize scripture this should be a daily thing.

Start praying out loud at home with someone or for someone. Pray while washing dishes. I pray around my kids, I use to get a lump in my throat but I refused to give up. I would do it anyway AND it never ever has to be long. it can be very short. I praise while walking down the streets not loud but doing something for 21 days I heard makes it a habit. I pray at church all the time, I am not a good prayer person by no means, but it doesn't matter, Its to God you are speaking to.
I am Adventist and at my church there is prayer all the time. Over everything at the start and end of every meeting and gathering. So believe me you will be called to pray and you can't say no at no time. So what I love is you can pray as long as you want or as short as you want. After talking with my friends at church someone would offer to pray and what a blessing that is.

When praying for someone you should find out what the need is and its really good to know the promises of God. Make it a habit to learn a new promise each week. and pray it back to God. Now if you really want to get God's attention pray back his promises. These are his words that will never come back void. As long as its his will for your life. you always ask if its within your will. Even when praying for someone else.

A week ago I was talking to my cousin/sister on the phone and I was telling her the reason why I have not fallen into despair and she quoted a scripture to me and it blew my mind and lifted my spirits. When you pray for someone nothing will lift them like the word of God and reminding them that God has already made a claim on their life and their situation.
1 Corinthians 2:9
King James Version (KJV)
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

this is one of the scriptures I think of when I think of not having a car anymore and having to do things I rather not do. But praying is just a conversation with God and who cares what anyone else thinks. I am still struggling with praying out-loud. I forget folks names or while we are even there. Its terrible, but I press onward, I sigh a lot too. I wish the words flowed easily but they do not. But all that matters is my willingness to communicate with God.

"thanks" wasn't enough!! This is very helpful for me.

Kinkyhairlady

STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS!!!! It's hard for you to pray in public because your focus is other people rather than the One you're praying to. Hey I've been there thinking "how will I sound or what if nobody responds to my prayer like they do to other people." The good this is God is not concerned about all of that but rather your heart. When you pray focus on just talking to Him and forget about trying to move or impress everyone else. Your prayer will be sincere and God (who's opinion is the only one that matters on this subject) will be pleased.

True but it's unfortunate other Christians judge and will say so and so can't pray. I hear it all the time even when I was a kid which put the pressure on me when I was asked to pray or pull a bible verse from the top of my head to recite. It's not about comparing myself but if I can do it better I want to try to learn. If you did not know how to read well wouldn't you feel uncomfortable reading in public? You would be embarrassed and uncomfortable. That's all I'm saying.

Iwanthealthyhair67

We are commanded to pray and it seems that your being afraid to pray is a two fold problem one in that you are afraid and two you feel that you don't know how to pray.

There is nothing unfortunate about being called on to say a prayer, Fear is not of God, even if it's a fear of being put on the spot or asked to speak ...Look at it this way all praying is, is talking to God, if we are always communicating with God then when we are asked to pray it shouldn't be a problem, he is not concerned about eloquence but sincerity of heart.

Remember you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.

Kinkyhairlady

We are commanded to pray and it seems that your being afraid to pray is a two fold problem one in that you are afraid and two you feel that you don't know how to pray. There is nothing unfortunate about being called on to say a prayer, Fear is not of God, even if it's a fear of being put on the spot or asked to speak ...Look at it this way all praying is, is talking to God, if we are always communicating with God then when we are asked to pray it shouldn't be a problem, he is not concerned about eloquence but sincerity of heart. Remember you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.

I'm not afraid to pray when I'm alone just in front if a group of people. I can pray just find by myself and for myself. That's another thing my prayers stew usually focused on myself and my problems and I pray for friends and family.

momi

I'm really enjoying this thread. I used to be so intimidated praying in large groups. Especially around people that pray so passionately and eloquently. Although I'm no longer fearful it is still something I struggle with.

Kinkyhairlady

I'm really enjoying this thread. I used to be so intimidated praying in large groups. Especially around people that pray so passionately and eloquently. Although I'm no longer fearful it is still something I struggle with.
What made you become comfortable?

momi