how did you learn to style your hair?

CaraWalker

i love my natural hair, its really very lovely :yep: but i just dont know what to do with it. in fact, i have no imagination for this kind of arts and craft thing in general :lol: hair, and make up, and interior designing dont come easily to me :sad:

i know it takes practice and experimenting. but can anyone share any specific photos or videos that they found helpful?

im looking at the everyday hair thread and feeling bad about my boring hair. my pretty hair is completely wasted on my lack of talent :sad:

I'm not sure what you mean...I learned to style my hair when I was a little girl. I used to watch what beauticians did and mimic it. I also read hair magazines and little hair features in teen magazines and tried out the techniques.

Nowadays, I pin interesting styles to my Pinterest boards and try them out, or I try stuff I see on YouTube. The key, IMO, is to have some idea of what you are going for. Like, if you want to try out buns, looks for bun styles to try. If you want "braidouts for 4c hair" then look for that.

Sometimes the simplest styles get the most compliments. People at work are fascinated when I French braid my hair simply because not a lot of people know how to braid their own hair.

I taught myself how to braid on my babydolls when I was around 4. I started doing hair for family and friends at age 12. I braided my way through college lol. I guess styling came naturally for me. I dont do any fancy styles on my natural hair, because I dont have time tgese days :(

I used to play with my doll's hair when I was little so as I got older I already had a basic understanding of what to do. TBH, I really don't do many styles: I have my classic side part, a long braid, buns, side pony, side braid. LOL! For some reason my best styles are at night before bed, when I am staying in. Duplication in the morning is subpar. :(

I don't have any particular videos or pictures. Like simplydebra said I pin pictures on pinterest so I have a gallery of styles to choose from. Then I look at yt videos of people who have done similar styles. I start with something basic. On wash days or on a day I have a little more time I practice the technique I need for that style and I practice it for weeks or months depending on how complicated it is. And after I think I have it then I try to do my entire head. After I do it the first time, I take note of what I need to do to improve it and then try that the next time.

I would recommend doing a google search of images on a style you want to try: twist, buns, etc and keep a catalog of them. Then maybe once you find a style you want to try come back and ask for specific help on that one style. Different ladies have expertise on different styles. That way they can walk you through any challenges.

Back