How do I keep my natural hair soft and shiny??

I am finaly wearing my naturall hair ( up until last week was wearing wigs and extensions). I like it a lot and I've been getting lots of compliments, but it is a little dull for me. ANy recommendations from the naturals on the board as to what the best product(s) are to keep hair soft and shiny. Currently I'm using Jason's Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner, and Biolage Ultra Moisturizing COnditioner, but I'm still not getting the shine or feel that I think I could. Any recommendations are appreciated. THanks.

What is your hair type?
I find that if I keep my hair well moisterized that softness comes right after.

I sometimes use Elasta QP Glaze for shine but oils are good too. (Jojoba, coconut, etc)

try useing some oil, and spraying some distilled water on ur hair and puting on a cap, I always get shiny hair from that, and silky

Irresistible and Happylocks have summed it up. I would add CO washes to help rinse away dulling dirt and sweat as well as moisturize, which also increases shine for me.

You may want to try conditioner washes instead of using shampoo regularly. Drink plenty of water (at least half your body weight in ounces) DAILY, eat plenty of fresh/raw fruits and veggies...keep it low maintenance. When was the last time you had a trim? You may have scab hair. Feel free to email me. I have another site that you may want to check out as well.

I forgot, I also posted recipes for homemade spritzs somewhere around here. PM me and I'll send you the recipes for some spritzs and some hair/body butters that I make and use.

(sorry for the lowercase...hand surgery)
i swear by carol's daughter healthy hair butter on wet hair followed by the mimosa hair honey when it dries..
(i use my own personal recipe when it's dry)...but the healthy hair butter is must whenever i air dry ... when i was natural and now. i also only use distilled water because tap water makes my hair dull and dry looking.

Thanks ladies for the responses. I'm not sure about my hair type. Based upon what I have read on the board it is probably somewhere around 3b (I Think). Basically, its not straight or wavy, but its not way kinkly either. It looks sort of like a dried jheri curl (the curly not the wavy type). Right now I use mango butter from time to time and the Curly Pudding from Curve salon. Both do really well in setting my hair with twit outs etc, but I miss that shine look from my permed days. I will try the CD HHB, I've been wanting to try that anyway, and I guess I'll head to BJ's to by several gallons of distilled water. Thanks again.

You may also want to consider purchasing a shower filter from Home Depot or Lowe's if you don't have one already...They may have them at Wal-mart, Target or Kmart too.

Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Cream gives me nice shine and isn't heavy at all. You don't notice the product, only the sheen. It gives the natural healthy hair shine.

[ QUOTE ]
sunshine91496 said:
Thanks ladies for the responses. I'm not sure about my hair type. Based upon what I have read on the board it is probably somewhere around 3b (I Think). Basically, its not straight or wavy, but its not way kinkly either. It looks sort of like a dried jheri curl (the curly not the wavy type). Right now I use mango butter from time to time and the Curly Pudding from Curve salon. Both do really well in setting my hair with twit outs etc, but I miss that shine look from my permed days. I will try the CD HHB, I've been wanting to try that anyway, and I guess I'll head to BJ's to by several gallons of distilled water. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have hair pics? Your hair sounds a bit like mine!!

Curl activators like Care Free and sta-sof-fro, help soften, while Fantasia Ice Pomade help for sheen.

Back