What should I have done differently?

JenJen2721

Hey, Good People!!!
/images/graemlins/weird.gif
I washed my hair last night and it came out very dull, even when I added oil. I wanted to tell you guys what I did from start to finish and I'm hoping you could tell me what I did wrong.

* I washed my hair in the shower w/Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing.
* Conditioned w/Aphogee Keratin 2-Minute Reconstructor. Left it on for 2 min. per directions.
* Used a rinse out moisturinzing conditioner (Mossimo Moisturizing Conditioner (this was a trial size from Target))
* Dried my hair under a hooded dryer using Nexxus Headress Leave-In and Sensitive by Nature Shimmer Glaze Gel Styler.

When my hair was dry it turned out very soft, but dull.
I oilied it lightly w/Hot Six Oil, but it still didn't get as shiny as it was Thursday.

Do you guys think I over-conditioned, used too many products, or too heavy products?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Thx!
Jen

Leshia

Jen, I don't think you used too many products, after all, people use waaayyyy more than that. You know what works for me? Rinsing out my conditioner with cold water. I forget where I heard about doing this, but I believe it seals the cuticle...works for me!
HTH

daviine

Have you used the Mossimo moisturizing conditioner before? Perhaps it wasn't moisturizing enough after the Aphogee conditioning you did.

What was different from what you usually do?

Ace9

Hey sweets!!! /images/graemlins/weird.gif /images/graemlins/wave.gif
I was thinking was the over use of products in one go. And I heard with Aphogee you need a really good deep conditioner after using it. I would recommend trying Aubrey's GPB, they have a website and that can be found through a search engine since it slipped my mind. Or a cheaper one like any of the Sauves' Humectant or Coconut are great, I'm told. Slightly pricey but great. Also how much shampoo did you use, you don't need lather to know your hair is being washed. And aim mainly for the scalp.

And I think the hot oil was too much. I don't recommend too much heat on hair. Air dyring or drying your hair with the temperature on cool would be better. Takes longer but better. Heat tends to add to damage of the hair.

Also maybe it's teh water, try washing and rinsing your hair with either filtered water, distilled water, bottled water, and or boiled water. I know the bottleed water seems pretentious, but Kim Basinger and all those stars do have a point. Refrain from using shower water on your hair. Or I would and have. I find the difference.

And you'll possibly see a shine and lift in hair. The stars use Evian, but personally I hate the taste so I wouln't even put in my hair. Any other's are good.

Hope that helps.
Tah,
A9 /images/graemlins/party2.gif /images/graemlins/dance7.gif /images/graemlins/ill.gif

JenJen2721

Thanks for the replies...

This was my first time using the Aphogee Keratin Conditioner. I was thinking the Mossimo wasn't moisturizing enough since it said on the bottle to apply it, comb through and rinse. It didn't say I should leave it on for a certain length of time. I have been using the Mossimo for a couple of months and I usually follow it w/the Nexxus Leave In.

I'm thinking I should invest in a better Moisturizing Conditioner. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Ace9

yeah I would recommend that. Especially in the case of Aphogee. The water might help and benefit as well. But you can try any of the above I've listed I've heard great things about them...

Tah,
A9 /images/graemlins/poke.gif /images/graemlins/littleangel2.gif /images/graemlins/angeldevil.gif

daviine

If you're happy with the Mossimo Conditioenr....kepp it but find another conditioenr to use with the Aphogee.......

Just be careful......don't become a product junkie.... /images/graemlins/nono.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JenJen2721

Hey Daviine!
Thanks, but I came to this board as a product junkie. Right now my budget won't allow me to be a product junkie /images/graemlins/nono.gif (I guess that's a good thing!) /images/graemlins/up.gif

@Ace, washing hair w/bottled water sounds very nice but pricey; I imagine it would be much healthier for my hair though. /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif

Ace9

Hey Jen Jen, no worries. /images/graemlins/weird.gif /images/graemlins/wave.gif Boiled water cooled down and filtered water is the same as the bottled water, or almost the same. Most of the stuff that's in it is killed or elminated so it's just as good. I'm on a student's budget as well and I use that. ONce in a blue moon I'll use bottled water.
Tah, /images/graemlins/flyingwitch.gif /images/graemlins/angel.gif /images/graemlins/spinning.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/up.gif /images/graemlins/party.gif
A9

sweetcocoa

Personally Nexxus Headress left my hair dull looking(when I wetset and sat under a dryer). I only used it once and I haven't since. I still have the full bottle left over. Also some gels don't work as well when used with heat.

daviine

I've been thinking of doing this with the bottled water. I was planning on doing this as a final rinse only as it would be pricey.

But hey--Ace doesn't use products so she can defintely afford the water.... /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif I'm sorry, I thought that was funny. Let me know if it wasn't. If its not, its because I'm a dork..../images/graemlins/dork.gif

Ace9

/images/graemlins/bouncy.gif /images/graemlins/weird.gif
You got a giggle out of me... /images/graemlins/antlers.gif I don't mind..... Just don't do it again!!1 /images/graemlins/whip.gif /images/graemlins/swearing.gif /images/graemlins/angry2.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

P.S. just wanted an excuse to use the red graemlins, it's my graemlin addiction it won't leave me be...Oh no!!!! /images/graemlins/fallenangel.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/babyb.gif /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

Integrity

i agree with leshia, use warm water to rinse out the conditioner and very cold water as a final rinse. this seals the cuticles and light reflects of it, giving the hair a natural shine....

if this doesnt work, maybe your hair just doesnt like what u put in and u have to keep on searching...

Julia

I use extremely cold water in my final rinse as well and I also use a light hair polish to bring out the shine. Some of the girls on the board have also used honey in thier conditioner and recevied good results from this.

hairfanatic

Hi JenJen,

Maybe you have a build up and need to use a clarifying shampoo. You might find that afterwards your routine will work better.