How do I keep my New Growth (roots) Soft? What do you use?

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Please tell me, what do you use to keep your new growth soft. I have new growth, and I wanted to keep it soft. Last night, I washed with CON-green label, applied Sweet Cashew's leave in conditioner, and used Elasta QP mango butter to moisturize my scalp. It was very moist last night, I woke up this morning and my roots feel just okay... I wonder if they could be softer, so I'm willing to try any-reasonably priced-thing :lol: So do tell, what do you use to keep your new growth or for natural ladies- your hair soft?

BTW: I blowdried my hair and flatironed it, so it's laying nicely. But my roots are not as soft at the rest of my hair. TIA:yep:

charmtreese

WGHO (Wild Growth Hair Oil) I use this oil 2-3 times a week and it keeps my NG sooo soft. I have 4a/b relaxed hair and I can stretch practically as long as I want without any problems. The oil is a little heavy it does not appear that thick but a little goes a long way, so there is no need to pile it on or use it everyday. I also put a little grapefruit EO in mine to give it a fresh citrus smell.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
You won't see results tomorrow, but taking Flax, Fish and Borage oil has my new growth coming in softer and has me stretching longer.

C

cieramichele

You won't see results tomorrow, but taking Flax, Fish and Borage oil has my new growth coming in softer and has me stretching longer.

Did it increase shine and enhance your texture?

sareca

Making sure your water is soft. The straight parts of my texlax'd hair didn't mind the hard water, but the more textured parts HATED it.

chebaby

any deep conditioner and or leave in conditioner keeps my new growth soft as a babies bottom

SignatureBeauty

If you can try the Vatika Oil or Just Coconut oil, what I did was warm the oil in the microwave and done a hot oil treatment with it and just massaged it really good, and then I just shampooed and applied a good conditioner and my newgrowth was very soft, I had a friend do it and she has like 4b hair and transitioning and her hair was so soft. But make sure you have a good conditioner, I used sweetcashews Fortyfying Hair Mask.

Shea Moisture is one of the only products that worked on my natural hair. It's actually a Leave In Conditioner that's really thick and creamy and it smells really nice too. It's concentrated so you don't want to use too much or your hair will look a little dull, but the product is great. If you don't have access to that I would just recommend ensuring that you use cream/water based products rather than oil based as oil doesn't moisture your hair. to keep it soft and pliable and prevent it from breaking at the demarcation line it must be moisturized and water based products are the only way. for your edges you can use a thicker pomade after applying the water/cream based product and then tie a scarf around the edges and push it back slightly to make your edges straight. Leave it on for at least 15 minutes but the longer the better. Most times I do this overnight (all of my hair is natural except for a few strands on the ends). When you get up your edges will be laying really nicely.

I get the SheaMoisture product from either a local asian beauty supply (not Sally's), or from off the internet. You can just do a google search and you'll bring it up, and it's not expensive...especially for what it does for your hair. I also use it as a moisturizer for my body at times. I really like it because it leaves me smelling good and moisturized without being greasy and it lasts all day.

i hope that helps.