How do YOU avoid split and/or thin ends??

taz007

I want to get a consensus on what everyone does to avoid split and/or thin ends and gain length.

TIA!

Last edited:

Nameless

I make sure that my ends are moisturised and then sealed with olive oil. I do this every night. I believe this helps because I don't do protective styling but I don't get that much breakage.

taz007

I will baggy my ends whenever they feel extra dry.

I also use a little Mizani H20 Nighttime every other night and Joico Split End Mender after every wash.

Jewell

I'm a big user of PS first off. For the last few months, I've worn my hair braided in a few plaits underneath a LF. I spritz the roots and ends with plain water, then spray with S-Curl (which I've added EVOO and Amla Oil to). I add either Hollywood Beauty or Mane 'N Tail Olive Oil Creme to the braids from base to ends, then I seal with either light Indian Hemp pomade (grease) or T-Tree Oil pomade (grease). My hair stays very moist in between washings, as I do this once every couple of days. I haven't seen splits in about 2 years. I rarely trim (only to even it up, not to get rid of any damage, b/c there isn't any). I haven't used direct heat in 13 mos.

God's Anointed

Nightly moisturize with a water based moisturizer then seal with an oil. Baggying has really helped me in the past and so has limiting my usage of heat.

tri3nity

I use products that have wheat protein in them, which is known to help your hair retain moisture and I baggy from the time I get home until I get ready to go to bed. Usually I wrap my hair and put on a satin scarf. Now that I'm going on 9 weeks post I just put on my satin bonnet and go to bed. I have just got to let go of the heat! :burn:

charmtreese

I will baggy my ends whenever they feel extra dry.

I also use a little Mizani H20 Nighttime every other night and Joico Split End Mender after every wash.

How does the H20 Nighttime work for you? I may have to give it a try, our hair seems to like the same products.

southerncitygirl

i protective style and moisturize several times a week:
KBB hair milk
afroveda shea amla

my natural hair is braided in individual plaits not cornrows under my wigs then i place on a wigcap.

taz007

How does the H20 Nighttime work for you? I may have to give it a try, our hair seems to like the same products.
The Mizani H2O nighttime is the BEST! It was the first product that I used with Ceramides in it. I would have tons of little broken hairs EVERYWHERE and this stopped the breakage in its tracks!

How are you liking the Clinicure? I love it! I put the shampoo and conditioner in applicator bottles and apply it to the scalp only. I use K-Pak on my hair.

goodmorningruby

I do styles that protect my ends, keep porosity at bay, moisturizing and sealing, DCing frequently, etc. I'm also in the baggy challenge since I baggy my ends from time to time prior to wash day. I try to avoid single strand knots...those are so annoying. And I stay away from wearing styles that require a lot of detangling afterwards on wash day, since I only like to use a detangling comb one day per week; that eliminates some manipulation.

charmtreese

The Mizani H2O nighttime is the BEST! It was the first product that I used with Ceramides in it. I would have tons of little broken hairs EVERYWHERE and this stopped the breakage in its tracks!

How are you liking the Clinicure? I love it! I put the shampoo and conditioner in applicator bottles and apply it to the scalp only. I use K-Pak on my hair.

Really!!! That sounds great, Im going to have to pick up a jar tomorrow.

Im really liking the Clinicure. I was wondering how I was going to incorporate kpak and clinicure into the same wash routine. I was going to alternate weeks, my last wash I just used clinicure and although my hair feels fine I feel like I should have thrown some K-pak in the mix. :grin:

In what order do you use your products? Do you shampoo with K-pak as well as clinicure? Thanks!!!!!

Nonie

• Dusting regularly for me is the most important. It alone worked for me as seen in these pics:
    August 2002:

August 2003:

Please note, I wasn't moisturizing, moisturizing, moisturizing at all, nor was I doing the next important step (second bullet below).

This is what happened to my ends when I stopped dusting for just 4 months:
    November 2003 top pics. Bottom pics show what I was left with after I got rid of thin ends. (Had I been dusting, I probably could've retained length and thick ends as seen above.)

• Sealing ends after moisturizing well and protective styling once your hair gets to shoulder length is the next most important thing to keep ends thick. Ask Wanakee and Micarae and Chicoro and Irresistible/Irresistible's sis ...if you don't believe me:

Irresistible's Sis: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=418494
    Chicoro: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=418590
    Wanakee: http://supermodelicons.com/wanakee-pugh/2009/09/12/
    Micarae: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXWFprdhns&feature=channel; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3TPkukmO1s&feature=channel;
ETA: Perhaps if you did the second suggestion well and often, you might be able to reduce the frequency with which you need to do the first suggestion. :yep: I believe that's what Adrienne0914 did.

Last edited:

nymane

I M&S daily, DC weekly, Co-wash, use No Direct Heat, and Air dry

Last edited:

gymfreak336

I don't over moisturize my ends.
I keep them tangle free with certain styling products.
I started back using setting lotion in roller sets.
I keep my hem line even when I trim.

ceebee3

I trim every six months, moisturize and seal a few times a week and do weekly rollersets.

If I don't rollerset, I keep my hair in 2 braids which locks the moisture in.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I live in a baggie bun most of the time, but when I do dust (i have't had a real trim in over 2 years) I put my hair in 7 to 8 braids or twist and cut the splits.

LushLox

I keep heat usage to an absolute minimum
I moisturise regularly and seal when needed
I rollerset which keeps my hair smooth
When bunning my hair I tend to do very loose buns, this way my ends are manageable, moisturised and no brittleness
I'm wary of the type of buns I do. I used to always put my hair up in a french twist, but when I took my hair down I noticed that the ends were dry and frizzy so I change up styles often.
I only comb on wash days.
I regularly look out for splits using S/D.

ETA: Now and again I use the Mizani Nightime treat, it's very good. I just use it every other day for one week then stop.

Last edited:

Highly Favored8

I keep my ends protected and covered at all times. Esp. during fall & winter months. I am a little laxed in the spring& summer. A little not that much.

ItsyBitsy

I don't over moisturize my ends.
I keep them tangle free with certain styling products.
I started back using setting lotion in roller sets.
I keep my hem line even when I trim.

How does this reduce split ends? I haven't used setting lotion in years. Will a setting foam offer the same protection? TIA Sis!

taz007

Really!!! That sounds great, Im going to have to pick up a jar tomorrow.

Im really liking the Clinicure. I was wondering how I was going to incorporate kpak and clinicure into the same wash routine. I was going to alternate weeks, my last wash I just used clinicure and although my hair feels fine I feel like I should have thrown some K-pak in the mix. :grin:

In what order do you use your products? Do you shampoo with K-pak as well as clinicure? Thanks!!!!!

I wash my hair with the Joico shampoo first and rinse. I then apply the Clinicure shampoo to my scalp and rinse.

I then apply the Clinicure conditioner to my scalp and the K-Pak to my hair and rinse. Towel dry.

Apply the Joico Split End Mender to my ends and K-Pak leave in to my hair. I then apply the Clinicure Step #3 to my scalp at least once per day. Style as usual (bun :ohwell:)

Mizani H2O nighttime every other night to ends.

hth

gymfreak336

How does this reduce split ends? I haven't used setting lotion in years. Will a setting foam offer the same protection? TIA Sis!

Hey Sis!

I used to be just a leave in and water type of girl but I started experimenting with setting lotions again. I found that it reduced my split ends by cutting down styling time and giving me better resistance from manipulation damage than just serum alone. I think the general problem with them is that most of them are more concentrated that they let on. I dilute all of mine now. I also notice that my styles look more finished which reduces the amount of washes a week.

PrincessLinzz

I wash my hair with the Joico shampoo first and rinse. I then apply the Clinicure shampoo to my scalp and rinse.

I then apply the Clinicure conditioner to my scalp and the K-Pak to my hair and rinse. Towel dry.

Apply the Joico Split End Mender to my ends and K-Pak leave in to my hair. I then apply the Clinicure Step #3 to my scalp at least once per day. Style as usual (bun :ohwell:)

hth

I have been dying to know does the Mizani H20 make your hair greasy or weighed down when your hair is straight?

charmtreese

hth

Okay, thanks!!! Im going to try that this weekend. I need to use the reconstructer this week, so I'll throw that somewhere in the mix.

I bought the Mizani H20 today and applied it tonight. I'm soo excited, I hope it works for me since Ive been experiencing some breakage! :nono:

taz007

I have been dying to know does the Mizani H20 make your hair greasy or weighed down when your hair is straight?
No, it is not particularly greasy. The key is to use very little and I mean dime size little on your ends. I NEVER use a dime size anything but this H2O.