How do you care for cornrows?

jetbeauty09

For the first time, I actually did a pre-poo/wash/condition on my cornrows. (Only b/c I know the importance of it for my hair, thanks LHCF:grin:)

For my pre-poo I mixed garnier frutis (sp) conditioning cream, olive oil, honey and some other oils and sat under the dryer for about 10-15 mins. Rinsed and then put shampoo with water in an applicator bottle before just putting the poo on my hands and rubbing on and in b/w.

Have you ever done this? My braids look fine. I put a scarf on top for like an hour after I was done. I've had them in for 1 week tomorrow and my scalp was starting to itch like crazy.:eek:

I will probably do this once a week. Is this normal care or did I just do the unthinkable:naughty:?

luckiestdestiny

I've never prepooed on my braids, but I have washed and conditioned in dilution. You want to make sure you don't have too much on them as you can't wash it out as well as you could if you weren't in braids. Not that you can't prepoo but you need to wash and wash and wash! Or else you could have problems when it comes time to take them out (too much buildup that could lead to breakage).

If you're just asking if you can wash in cornrows I do all the time and kept them in for weeks until they look frizzy, and then I just redo.

sexieblacc

I needed to know this too. I have them in right now. My hair is super thick, and stays super thirsty. I'm getting them redone in a week.

jetbeauty09

I've never prepooed on my braids, but I have washed and conditioned in dilution. You want to make sure you don't have too much on them as you can't wash it out as well as you could if you weren't in braids. Not that you can't prepoo but you need to wash and wash and wash! Or else you could have problems when it comes time to take them out (too much buildup that could lead to breakage).

If you're just asking if you can wash in cornrows I do all the time and kept them in for weeks until they look frizzy, and then I just redo.

Yea, I had to rinse and rinse and wash and wash:pray: hoping it would all come out!!!! It finally did but I didn't want to just wash my hair with shampoo. I dont think I'll do it again! lol

luckiestdestiny

Being a natural makes it harder to. It's like stuff clings in between the braids. I'm a natural too. So I'm glad you're not going to because I just wouldn't risk it if I were you. I usually wear my hair braided up or straight. I've done that for years and now I'm past MBL (by how much I won't know until my next length check. I was over an inch past MBL Dec). But I have had set backs from doing stuff in braids, and just want to make sure you don't. The enemy is build up. If you can also, use some clarifying poo if you leave them in longer and are using braid spray (and really dilute it but it'll help get that build up out of there). Follow up w/ diluted conditioner and braid spray.