Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Put conditioner on wet hair and rinse

Votes: 100 82.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

angeleyez09

I am cowashing for the first time tomorrow and I want to know which way is best. Do you all put conditioner on dry hair, use heat, and then rinse it out (so you dc and cw)? Or do you use it on wet hair like shampoo and massage it in like shampoo?

washize

I use a deep conditioner on dry hair, then I rinse it out, then I gently and lightly dab my hair with a towel, untill it is some what dry, and I apply more conditioner, I usually do this twice with two other conditioners.

poookie

you can do it either way :yep:

when i'm feeling lazy, i'll slap on some conditioner + a teaspoon of salt (for easier rinsing & more slip), let it saturate for as long as i feel like, and just rinse it out in the shower. no additional shampooing or conditioning necessary.

but when i'm pressed for time, i'll just get in the shower with nothing on my hair, rinse conditioner through it, and then rinse it all out.

mstar

Luxury bacon
I rinse really well, then apply the conditioner like shampoo. Then I DC with heat, and finish with a cold rinse (either ACV or nettle tea).

Grand Prix

I voted on wet hair, because that's what I usually do. Wet my hair, apply conditioner, have my shower and then rinse. So yes, like shampoo, only let it sit for just a little longer.

Sometimes I DC on dry hair with some (partially) homemade mixture like ORS mayo with coconut cream and honey, but never with a regular cheapie conditioner like HE. I ended up overmoisturizing my hair that way.

MummysGirl

I wet hair, add a generous amount of cheapie con in hair and distribute through, leave in for a few minutes, then rinse out. I sometimes repeat.

Sometimes I DC on dry hair (with a deep conditioner), then cowash out (i.e. slather on a cheapie con when I get into the shower) and follow the same steps above...

prisytomboy

I am cowashing for the first time tomorrow and I want to know which way is best. Do you all put conditioner on dry hair, use heat, and then rinse it out (so you dc and cw)? Or do you use it on wet hair like shampoo and massage it in like shampoo?

Great question!!!! I've never thought about the DC. I always do the "like shampoo" method with about 3-5 wash/rinse....but leaving the last conditioner on until I'm done handling my biz in the shower. No wonder included in my monthly utilities I have a "conditioner" bill. :look:

I'm learning so much from you ladies!!!

prisytomboy

you can do it either way :yep:

when i'm feeling lazy, i'll slap on some conditioner + a teaspoon of salt (for easier rinsing & more slip), let it saturate for as long as i feel like, and just rinse it out in the shower. no additional shampooing or conditioning necessary.

but when i'm pressed for time, i'll just get in the shower with nothing on my hair, rinse conditioner through it, and then rinse it all out.

salt?!!! really?! You're talking about table salt, right? Is this with cheap conditioner on your co wash days or DC days? Is this on dry hair?

Sorry for all the questions just curious. I've never heard of that and I've been lurking for almost 2 years and never read this. Interesting! Thanks!

Grand Prix

Great question!!!! I've never thought about the DC. I always do the "like shampoo" method with about 3-5 wash/rinse....but leaving the last conditioner on until I'm done handling my biz in the shower. No wonder included in my monthly utilities I have a "conditioner" bill. :look:

I'm learning so much from you ladies!!!

You apply and rinse your conditioner multiple times?
I've read that before but never tried. What good does it do?

Thanks!

prisytomboy

You apply and rinse your conditioner multiple times?
I've read that before but never tried. What good does it do?

Thanks!

Well I'm new so....

I'm washing my hair but only with conditioner....so the 1st & 2nd washes are usually just getting the surface dust, debris, etc. off my hair...the 3rd wash I concentrate on massaging/cleaning my scalp...the 4th is usually SE Cholesterol Treatment and I let that sit until after I shower....then I rinse.

Hope that makes sense.

Fine 4s

Add conditioner mixed with water in another bottle and apply directly to scalp (front, back and sides). Massage with shampoo brush. Leave it on for a few mins. Then rinse. If I pre-poo'ed with oil, I might repeat this process minus the shampoo brush. Rinse.

I'll have to try the other method with my Giovanni Tea Tree conditioner since I'm not impressed.

Fine 4s

Well I'm new so....

I'm washing my hair but only with conditioner....so the 1st & 2nd washes are usually just getting the surface dust, debris, etc. off my hair...the 3rd wash I concentrate on massaging/cleaning my scalp...the 4th is usually SE Cholesterol Treatment and I let that sit until after I shower....then I rinse.

Hope that makes sense.

Have you tried washing your hair with less repeats?
Maybe you can rinse the hair thoroughly with water before applying the condish?

destine2grow

I normally cowash the same way you shampoo. I have never tried on dry hair but now that I am almost 7 wks post. I will cowash twice a wk and shampoo once.

CaliDiamond

Since I am attempting to transition, I find it easier to apply to dry hair first. I apply a moisturizing deep con to my new roots first (relaxer style), then the rest of my hair. I DC with a plastic cap for 45 min (no heat) then rinse in the shower. I co-wash my hair focusing on the scalp then rinse.

Grand Prix

That is what I was thinking.. It seems like such a waste of conditioner to be rinsing for the third time.
I'll try applying it twice, though.

WorkInProgress88

.i really don't manipulate my hair when i co-wash

.i just get my hair wet by standing under the shower head and apply the conditioner to the length of my hair, edges, and nape

.let it sit while i do my shower duties and rinse it out before i hop out the shower

prisytomboy

On my lazy days or when I'm pressed for time I do 3 rinses. Wow, I can't believe I've been doing it wrong all this time. And just think I'm telling my family and friends....they gone kick my butt!! :lachen:

So is cleaning the hair/scalp not a goal in cowashing? In that case how often do you clean your hair/scalp? Maybe I'm not clear on the purpose of cowashing....? Help? Are we trying to add moisture/protein? I'm really confused now. :ohwell:

All help is def appreciated! Thanks for your patience too! :yep:

Fine 4s

On my lazy days or when I'm pressed for time I do 3 rinses. Wow, I can't believe I've been doing it wrong all this time. And just think I'm telling my family and friends....they gone kick my butt!! :lachen:

So is cleaning the hair/scalp not a goal in cowashing? In that case how often do you clean your hair/scalp? Maybe I'm not clear on the purpose of cowashing....? Help? Are we trying to add moisture/protein? I'm really confused now. :ohwell:

No worries. I don't think you were doing anything WRONG per se.

My purpose for co-washing is simply to cleanse using a substitute for shampoo avoiding the SLSs. So whatever I did/sometimes do with shampoo I now do with the condish. Hence the mixing with water and the scalp application. Since we need moisture, an added benefit of using condish is an increase in moisture content. Moisture/Protein balance is a whole other issue. It can be confusing to figure out at first so ask all the questions now....

The goal is to get the scalp clean so focusing on the scalp is best. The suds will travel down the strand and cleanse along the way. If anything, I squeeze the condish out...

I use condish everytime I wash so either once a week or 2 a week.

prisytomboy

No worries. I don't think you were doing anything WRONG per se.

My purpose for co-washing is simply to cleanse using a substitute for shampoo avoiding the SLSs. So whatever I did/sometimes do with shampoo I now do with the condish. Hence the mixing with water and the scalp application. Since we need moisture, an added benefit of using condish is an increase in moisture content. Moisture/Protein balance is a whole other issue. It can be confusing to figure out at first so ask all the questions now....

The goal is to get the scalp clean so focusing on the scalp is best. The suds will travel down the strand and cleanse along the way. If anything, I squeeze the condish out...

I use condish everytime I wash so either once a week or 2 a week.

Girl you've turned my light bulb on!!!:think:

Ok about the moisture/protein...I understand those are 2 diff types I just mentioned both because some people use condish with moisture and some with protein. Gotcha!!!

Ok, so check me out....
- apply cheap (Aussie Moist, Cantu Moist, Silk Element MegaSilk) to dry hair (relaxer style)
- let set for about 30 mins
- jump in shower rinse
- apply Silk Element Cholesterol Treatment
- after shower is over rinse

Whatcha think? :eyebrows2

Oh one more thing I'm going to order some Silicon Mix for my new growth after the 5th week post....where should that fit in the above?

Oh one more other thing....lol :shocked: how do you manage to cowash twice a week....its such a hassel for me....do you airdry, blow dry, or hand blow dry? I know I'm lazy :lachen:

You've been a big help....I don't know if you've noticed but you've just help me develop me a reggie!!!! you're soooo sweet!!! and you're saving me money....I OWE YOU LUNCH/DINNER!!!!

camilla

I rinse with warm water massage just like poo rinse then repeat then deep condition with heat

I do mine for moisture purposes i am relaxed an d i work out so once a week i do a co wash to rinse the sweat and add moisture
In the summer i do twice a week b/c of the heat I shampoo on the weekend with sls free poo, OR if i used cones i oil pre poo or oil/cond mix pre poo to combat the harshness of the sls poo because sufate free poo does not remove cones

Last edited:

camilla

I let is air dry about 50% then twist out about 10 with curlers on the end tie down the sleep sof waves in the am witha head band or six french braids going back or bun

check out alraines on you tube or traycee she is a member here
here is her link below and you can type alraines in the search on you tube she is a member of another board they have good air dry styles

http://www.youtube.com/user/KISSseventyseven

Last edited:

Mrs. Verde

I cowash like the conditioner is shampoo. I have never tried cowashing with a DC. I might have to try that with DCs that I don't like.

classychic1908

Your hair can be gently cleaned with only water and scalp massage, The trick is to use water soluble products in your hair, basically avoiding cones and xanes. These ingredients are difficult to remove from our hair without shampoo.

Other than that a vigorous scalp massage with water alone, water and baking soda, ayurvedic herbs and powders, conditioner and salt, conditioner and baking soda, conditioner alone, ect will effectively clean your hair without stripping it of all moisture.

I don't understand the idea of using a conditioner that contains cones to cowash, though. It seems to me that you would only be coating your hair which would lead to build up and lack of moisture in your strands over time.

My routine is pretty simple. I sometimes DC on dry hair and simply rinse and go. Or most often, I rinse my hair well apply salt and conditioner mix let it sit while I shower and then rinse and detangle. I apply more conditioner and leave it in.

prisytomboy

Your hair can be gently cleaned with only water and scalp massage, The trick is to use water soluble products in your hair, basically avoiding cones and xanes. These ingredients are difficult to remove from our hair without shampoo.

Other than that a vigorous scalp massage with water alone, water and baking soda, ayurvedic herbs and powders, conditioner and salt, conditioner and baking soda, conditioner alone, ect will effectively clean your hair without stripping it of all moisture.

I don't understand the idea of using a conditioner that contains cones to cowash, though. It seems to me that you would only be coating your hair which would lead to build up and lack of moisture in your strands over time.

My routine is pretty simple. I sometimes DC on dry hair and simply rinse and go. Or most often, I rinse my hair well apply salt and conditioner mix let it sit while I shower and then rinse and detangle. I apply more conditioner and leave it in.

Ok, so I'm just a tid bit confused. So what exactly is cones for....slip only? I've read some ladies DC with it. ? I understand that difficulty the strand will have absorbing moisture....somewhat. Is there a cone free condish that will give slip to a nappy head such as mine? :ohwell: I need something that's going to assist me with managing my new growth....as of right now I can't make it past 8 weeks. :nono:

I had a lot more to say/ask but a coworker started talking to me and I lost my train of thought....what? do they think I came to work to work? LOL jus kiddin' :lachen:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
First: I Rinse my Hair really Well for a really long time with Clear Water.:yep:

Then I apply the Conditioner as I would Shampoo. I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and then I work it through and Rinse well.

Afterwards, I usually apply a reconstructor rinse out and DC usually with Heat. i.e. Heat Cap or Steamer.

Use Porosity Control as the Final Rinse to restrict and close cuticle after DC'ing with heat and to seal in moisture from the DC.:yep:

Apply Leave-In And Proceed to Drying.