How do you define your CURLS? [video]

Ebony Majesty

Hey ladies!

I know it's been a while since I've created a thread. Last week I was playing with my hair (as you do), and decided to try a different technique to define my curls.

I loved the way it turned out, and got lots of compliments at work :blush: I posted in the Everyday Hair...The Pretty, The Nappy, The Crazy...Post Your Hair RIGHT NOW!!! thread last week, but wanted to share the video I made showing how I achieved the look.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft6rL2a4-60

How do you define your curls?

Last edited:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I was one of the ones :drool: at the pictures in the everyday hair thread! Thanks for sharing your video.

I do something similar but I do it in bigger chunks

I airdry and fluff out the curls.
I've never used the hood (which looks really helpful on cold days but honestly, it had me cracking up :lachen:).

Ebony Majesty

I was one of the ones :drool: at the pictures in the everyday hair thread! Thanks for sharing your video.

I do something similar but I do it in bigger chunks

I airdry and fluff out the curls.
I've never used the hood (which looks really helpful on cold days but honestly, it had me cracking up :lachen:).

wavezncurls Nice! Does it take long to dry and do the roots puff up or are they quite flat?

Haha @ the hood! I know its hilarious! I can't have my hair wet for too long or I end up with a cold :(

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
wavezncurls Nice! Does it take long to dry and do the roots puff up or are they quite flat?

Haha @ the hood! I know its hilarious! I can't have my hair wet for too long or I end up with a cold :(

Ebony Majesty
My roots are pretty straight/wavy so I don't get much fluffiness in the root area :sad: Now I have more layers though so I get more body that way.

Hey, not knocking the hood. I have one of the heavy old fashioned ones that I only use for roller setting because it's a bear to move from spot to spot. I might have to invest in a soft one. Where did you get that one?

Ebony Majesty

Ebony Majesty
My roots are pretty straight/wavy so I don't get much fluffiness in the root area :sad: Now I have more layers though so I get more body that way.

Hey, not knocking the hood. I have one of the heavy old fashioned ones that I only use for roller setting because it's a bear to move from spot to spot. I might have to invest in a soft one. Where did you get that one?

wavezncurlz I may try your method too, I don't like my roots to be too puffy, so it sounds like a good alternative

I wish I had a standing dryer! I do admit the hood is good for people with limited space, and does get quite hot :blush:

I purchased it from Argos, but you can purchase it on Amazon too

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
You are such a beautiful lady and so is your hair!

ETA: What is your twist-out regimen?

Last edited:

MissMasala5

To answer the question, I do nothing to define my curls. I have tried a method like yours before, but it was time-consuming and I tend to be hair lazy, so my curly styles are for the most part wash and gos. I either air-dry or blow dry on cool. But wng's tend to leave me with tangles and knots so I do twist-outs more often than anything else these days.

freecurl

EbonyMajesty

I guess you can say the tightly curly method is my way of defining the curl, but I use that method as a base for braidouts only. I've never coiled my hair before. I look forward to trying your method soon.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
*gasp* it's you! I remember coming across your BC video while I was transitioning!!! Your hair has grown soooooo much since then!! You have my dream hair :D so beautiful.

ellegantelle

You are my hair idol...to achieve the length and thickness of your hair is my ultimate goal.

Ok onto the question and my answer...I would looove to achieve curl definition. The problem with my hair is that I have mixed textures. The back is a 4a - 4b. But I have hardly any definition in the front...on the top of my head. It's not heat damage or anything abnormal. It's always been this way. I can usually manipulate the top by doing a braidout or setting it on rods but its not the same. I've tried finger coils at the top....nothing. I just wish I had more curl definition in that area, then I would be a wash n go queen!!

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Spiffy

*picks jaw up off the floor* You have the best coils I've ever seen! Absolutely gorgeous!

Please share how long the style lasts and how you maintain your curls.

Ebony Majesty

Thanks viciousdreamr02 and Spiffy

The style lasts up to a week. Before going to bed, I pile my hair up on the top of my head like a pineapple and secure with a loose band. I cover it with a satin cap. In the morning I moisturise with the Aussie leave in conditioner, fluff my hair up... and I'm ready to go :D