How do you do your twist outs?

Do you brush out your curls before you twist your hair?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No.

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

prettypithy

Naturals: Do you brush out your curls before you twist out out your hair? I just take freshly washed hair and start twisting. The curls are intact. It occurs to me that maybe if I brushed the hair out before twisting I'd have smoother twists and better twist out results. What do you guys do?

I spray already damp hair with cold pressed EVOO and water and use a dollop of either Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie or aloe Vera Gel on each twist, use a pick from tip to root, braid fairly snug at root then twist remaining length focusing on the tips.

My twists stay in really well this way and my twists are pretty big.

But hair pretty much has to be cleared out and combed through to have a smooth twist and eventually stretched out hair for the rest of the week.

Thanks you, I just tried it this way and the twists are much smoother. I think it will create fewer tangles, too.

I use twists for one reason: to stretch out my curls. I purposely define my curls with a gel or curl cream prior to twisting. However, I do this because I don't want my hair to look twist outy. Most people assume my twist outs are wash and go's.

I definitely twist on hair that has been stretched.

I've never twisted on hair that has not been combed out in some shape or fashion.

Here is my twist out.

DSC01675-e1324263314924.jpg

First, I apply my twisting cream of choice to damp hair. Then I seal w/ the Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream (except if I'm using Barry Fletcher's Twist Like This Herbal Putty). Then I use my Hercules Sagemann HS703WW comb to comb out each individual section that I twist.

Even though I detangle before hand and wash my hair in braids, combing each individual section before I twist ensures that I am not giving an invitation to tangles and single-strand knots by leaving behind pieces of shed hair.

Back