Naturals - Twists

kadej

Hi ladies! For those of you that wear your hair in twists/twist outs, do you twist your hair wet or dry? What products do you use on your twists? Do you wash them? If so, how often? Do you have serious shrinkage? I haven't put any twists in my hair yet, but will probably start twisting my hair in a couple of months (protective style for the winter). TIA! ;)

Last edited:

ctosha

Im natural and i twist on wet hair after my wash. I do get shrinkage like crazy but sometimes I band them for like 45 minutes to an hour but not to the ends because I like the little curlies and the ends of my hair. This way it is stretched a little but not loosing the entire curl. As for products I use Oyin burnt sugar to twist, it gives good definition when I do a twist out. I dont' wash with my twists in Im scared they'll get too tangled I wear them for one week then twist out for a day or two then take them down and wash, start again.

ImFree27

im twisiting my hair now before church, i do it on dry hair so it can hang longer, i washed my hair last night and braided it in four sections to dry and stretch and now im twisting it with shea butter and coconut oil..I don't wash in twist, i only keep it in for a week.

1babydimple

I twist both ways and yes I wash them, but then again I always wash my hair twisted or braided. I also use shea & coconut on dry hair. Damp hair - shea butter , John Feida frizz ease & Murrays bees wax in that order. I wash at least once a week. Twist I wash in the sink, braids in the shower. I like the control of the spray nozzle LOL

glamazon386

I twist my hair wet bc it makes a smoother twistout. If you twist on dry hair they won't shrink as much though.

tru2me

I like twisting on dry hair, using shea butter and coconut oil as well. I don't tend to wash with them in, though.

I did the same as ImFree27, except I'm wearing my braid out this morning and will twist this afternoon.

Twisties

If I am planning to wear a twistout, I will twist my hair wet --it gives better defined coils. Shrinkage is major this way though.

If I want them to hang down, I will blow dry it and then twist with oil. Well this is what they do at the shop :).

I will wash them if I have them in for more than a week. I try not to go past 2 weeks because it starts inter-weaving like locs.

JustKiya

im twisiting my hair now before church, i do it on dry hair so it can hang longer, i washed my hair last night and braided it in four sections to dry and stretch and now im twisting it with shea butter and coconut oil..I don't wash in twist, i only keep it in for a week.

I do that, exactly, except that my leave-in is a mix of oils, butters, and conditioner. I don't wash it, perse, but I do DC in the middle of the week. I just water the DC down to make it thinner so that it will soak into/rinse out of my twists easier.

chokolate miss

i use only oyinhandmade products on my hair at the moment. i will wash, deep condition and then place my hair in large braids to dry and stretch. oh, i add oyin whipped pudding to each braid. once dry i add a combination of the burnt sugar and whipped shea to an entire braid that i have taken down. i repeat until im done. make sure you place the part (if you want one) that is in the front how you want it. its near impossible to change it once its there. i dont wash my twist ever. and i have left them in max 2 weeks. the could have stayed longer but i really like water on my head! hth!

NaturallyGraceful

wet=shrinkage with gorgeous well defined twists
dry=longer,fluffier twists.

I prefer to do them on slightly damp hair. I usually make a gel & coconut oil pudding for them but since it's about to get cooler, I'll use Qhemet amla or HappyNappy since they're heavy.

Ms Lala

I only twists my hair dry. I tried it on wet and damp hair and my hair was a frizzy shrunken mess. Before twisting I wash, DC, rinse and apply a leave in. Then I either airdry or blow dry. Sometimes I airdry and lightly flat iron if I want my twists to look more straight. I twist my hair using a little moisturizer and I usually apply some curl wax to help hold them and reduce frizz. I know some of these methods aren't recommended on here but I've tried lots of different things and I've had to go back to these technqiues because my twists weren't lasting. I keep my twists for 2-3 weeks. I rinse them in between and cowash. I don't use shampoo until I am ready to take them out. If I need to clean my scalp I apply a paste w/baking soda directly to the scalp or add the baking soda to my conditioner and I rinse well. I don't do alot of scrubbing to help prevent frizzies IHTH

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I twist my hair while it's slightly damp. I leave them in for one week..take down, do my wash/DC routine then retwist. Once during the middle of the week I will rinse them, then co-wash gently as to avoid the frizzes, rinse and then drip dry. I used to use WEN's cleansing conditioner mixed with WEN's styling cream but lately I have fallen in :love: with Hair One's cleansing conditioner mixed with WEN's styling cream as the mix I use to twist my hair. :yep:

gloomgeisha

I do twists on dry hair, with my own butter mix, if I want them to last for a few weeks. I'll do twists on damp hair, using Cantu Shea Butter w/ Castor Oil mixed in, if I want a twist out. I'll normally leave my dry twists in for 3-4 weeks.

LadyKaypnyc

If I want more hang, I twist on dry hair, when I don't mind the shrinkage, I do so on wet hair. I usually use ORS Loc and Twist Gel or Oyin's Shine and Define.

I use ORS Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo to keep my scalp clean, I only keep them in for 2 weeks, then I rock a twist out for the next week. Then Shampoo.

Hope that helps!

Nonie

For those of you that wear your hair in twists/twist outs, do you twist your hair wet or dry?
I always twist dry.

What products do you use on your twists?
I don't use anything at all on my twists.

Do you wash them?
Yes.

If so, how often?
Twice a week.

Do you have serious shrinkage?
Not THAT serious. Maybe 75% on first wash, and almost 50% after baggying, which I do every night. (This pic shows one twist redone after a wash and airdrying. All other twists shrunken.) I do like the shrinkage factor because my hair is very fine/light and shrinkage gives it weight and hence movement.

anherica

do you twist your hair wet or dry?
I twist my hair when dry or slightly damp.

Homemade shea butter, aloe, oil blend that I apply while hair is still damp from the wash. I let it dry some more and then begin twisting. Every once in a while I'll use ORS lock and twist gel, but that's better on damp hair in my opinion.

Do you wash them? If so, how often?
Yes I wash them. Once to twice per week and I keep them in for at least two weeks. Sometimes longer. I never wash my hair loose anyway, that's asking for trouble. So twists/braids are perfect for my routine.

Hmmm, I think about 50% shrinkage after the first wash. After that they really don't shrink much more.

Last edited:

kadej

wet=shrinkage with gorgeous well defined twists
dry=longer,fluffier twists.

I prefer to do them on slightly damp hair. I usually make a gel & coconut oil pudding for them but since it's about to get cooler, I'll use Qhemet amla or HappyNappy since they're heavy.

Twistyone - your twists look so neat and defined... what type of gel do you use in your *gel & coconut oil pudding*? TIA!

malachi74

For those of you that wear your hair in twists/twist outs, do you twist your hair wet or dry?
depends on the look: silky, blingy, long-lasting twists are made on towel-dried hair for me.

twists on dry hair look way longer and cottony/fluffy.

Coconut Oil

Do you wash them?
No Way

If so, how often?
N/A

Yes, my hair shrinks about 75% when airdried

MrsQueeny

Hi ladies! For those of you that wear your hair in twists/twist outs, do you twist your hair wet or dry? What products do you use on your twists? Do you wash them? If so, how often? Do you have serious shrinkage? I haven't put any twists in my hair yet, but will probably start twisting my hair in a couple of months (protective style for the winter). TIA! ;)

I twist mine on wet hair. Even if I have to redo some of them, I will spray them with a little water. I wash, condition, detangle and apply a little castor oil or avocado butter to my hair. Then I use this

I wash them as often as I would without them. I put the shampoo in an applicator bottle with water, shake and then squeeze it on my scalp and use my fingers to massage my scalp. I do the same with my conditioner. I use a micro fiber hair towel to dry them and do any touchups as needed. I have a lot of shrinkage with just about any style.

Here is a pic of some I did on my dd's hair
I used Miss Jessie's Baby buttercreme along with the twist n loc gel above. HTH Q