how do you keep twists from locking?

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I am getting 2 strand twists Tuesday. Will get them medium size.

About how long can I expect to keep them if I will be using MTG and I do not want my hair to lock?

Any tips on keeping them looking fan-tab-u-licious?

be careful if you wash them
dont keep them over 3 months
spray w/ curl activator in addition to mtg
wrap up at night

PittGirl06 said:
no...doing it on my natural hair....NO extensions.

thanks for the tips

Medium size, I would say about 2 weeks depending on how you deal with frizz. I am lucky to get 1 week out of mine without having to retwist. I reco some braid spray or Scurl to keep your hair moisturized. If you wash or cw make sure it is diluted, place the twists in bigger twists and focus on your scalp.

Last edited:
PittGirl06 said:
I am getting 2 strand twists Tuesday. Will get them medium size.

About how long can I expect to keep them if I will be using MTG and I do not want my hair to lock?

Any tips on keeping them looking fan-tab-u-licious?

I personally would not keep them in longer than 2wks. If you chose to keep them in for a longer period I would retwist the looser ones when you have time, in between washes.

HTH,
MeechUK

yeah...i tried to leave my in for 4 weeks----it was the biggest mess trying to get them out!!:eek: I'd stick with 2.

I keep mine in for a month at a time (sometimes 2) but never longer than that.

I also re-twist the frizzy or loose twists
Cover with a silk cap at night
I use Sta-sof-fro 4 moisture

3-4 weeks. wash and condition during that time and you should be fine.

it takes a year or so for hair to fully lock up, btw...so i wouldn't worry about that. your roots might start to merge if you go longer than 4 weeks but soaking the hair in conditioner will loosen it right back up.

Mkstar, your hair is simply stunning! :spinning: I can't wait for my hair to get long enough for bun styles.

PittGirl06 said:
no...doing it on my natural hair....NO extensions.

thanks for the tips

Well you can leave them in as long as you feel comfy imho. It all depends on the "frizz" level you like. I like when my hair looks loc like, frizzy, nappy. I don't mind that at all. It's just something that my hair just does, ya know? Right now, since it's colder out side, I am into winter mode. I wash once per week(sat or sun) twist, then the following sat, I wash w/ twists in, then retwist the following day. I do this for 3-5 weeks then take all the twists out, wash, dc then retwist. The cycle just starts again. I don't really have all that much time to play w/ my hair, plus although I have fine strands, there's a lot more hair then I anticipate, and it takes forever. I don't use gels or anything. Just coconut oil or shea butter, or whipped pudding or asha's(that I am trying to get rid of) it works for me.

It probably depends on your hair type. I take mine down every two weeks. If I leave them in for three, they are more tangled and seem to be in the process of starting to lock.

Back