How do you know if your ends are bad?

Brownshugaz

I trimmed my ends about 3 weeks ago. Well chopped was more like it I took off up to an inch in some places. However, when I straightened my hair today parts of my ends still seemed rough. Could it be because of the way I braided my hair before? They were any which way and I didn't braid all the way to the end. Or is it because my ends are that bad? Is the feel test enough? I don't see any split ends but they still feel kind of rough. Am I just being paranoid?

*Frisky*

Do you have a relaxer? I know for the longest time my ends were rough but I didn't have split ends either...it turned out that my hair was underprocessed from the relaxers I had been using in the past...I got a corrective relaxer and now my hair is all one texture and my ends are 100% better...

Lorraine S

Hi,
Do you moisturize your ends properly (oil, liquid, etc..). It could also be the way you styled your hair. I know if I do a rollerset or a ponytail and I dont smooth the ends down good on the rollers the ending result is frizzy dry looking ends. Even if properly moisturize. Maybe that could be it.
HTH

Lorraine

ThursdayGirl

That's probably it. I am transitioning...but most of my hair is natural. I know when my ends are bad, because my hair tangles more than normal.

so1913

What kind of scissors did you use? Asking because the type of scissors and blades on them can make a huge difference. The sharper the scissors the better. Using blunt scissors or scissors not made for hair can tear or shread the ends of your hair, giving them that rough feeling and even causing them to split.