How do you pray?

CarLiTa

I am wondering.

reason is, I've visited Baptist churches and feel that they are more lively or passionate in their prayers.

I am Catholic and sometimes our services are very bland and I feel like we don't have the opportunity to pray for ourselves, to talk to God while at Church, because we have "set" prayers. I like that, but I feel I need help on how to talk to God.

Any help or advice?

thanks.

Starian

The prayers at my church are very solemn, but they aren't rote. The brothers pray a different prayer every time, taking into consideration the sick and shut in, anyone who's relative died, etc.

We've always been taught that personal prayers don't have to be so formal. It should just be like talking to God, like you would a friend. And you can pray about anything. Like it wouldn't be inappropriate to pray to God about you wanting a baby or having sexual problems in your marriage.

You can be sitting down, lying down, on your knees, eyes closed, eyes open, etc., as long as you pray through Jesus Christ, as he's our Intercepter. ("In Jesus' name, amen.")

I've also been taught that we shouldn't say things like "Good morning God, how are you?" because while God is our friend, he's not a buddy down the street that you can call and grab a few beers with.

His position as sovereign of the universe should be respected.

achangedlife

I agree, prayer is personal, just tell God what you're feeling, what you need that's according to his will, just like you would tell a friend. The bible exhorts us to pray without ceasing, well obviously we can't be in church all the time so we have to pray outside the sanctuary as well. Whether it's at work, school, in the car, or at the store you can talk to God as often as he crosses your mind. Don't forget to praise because he inhabits our praises and as long as we praise we know he is here and listening, we can't just asks for stuff all the time and never praise him for what he's already done and given to us. Asking according to his will is definitely not wrong because if we don't ask we may not receive, and after you ask always give thanks, and praise him for being such a wonderful father to supply us with good gifs and the desires of our hearts.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Being lead of the Holy Spirit and always from the heart. There is really no 'set rule' other than 'from the heart and by the Spirit of God as He leads us in prayer.' I know that some of my most powerful prayers have been, "Lord have mercy." or "Lord, please show me the way." and "Father, I just thank you for being God in this situation."

I also stand upon scripture which I feel the Lord has laid upon my heart. Such as:

Children Prayers:

Isaiah 54:13...17

"Father I thank you that my children are taught of the Lord, so great shall be their peace. That no weapon formed against them shall prosper."

This prayer truly protected my children. God gets the glory for this. I had given up all hope and God came in with His word.

Luke 1:

Blessed is the fruit of my body (womb). My children had no choice other than to be blessed. I would 'walk' the floors in the night hours of the mornings, speaking God's word over them. I'd kneel at their beds each night while they slept and just prayed.

A Father's prayer would be..."My seed is blessed..."

For beauty and youth, God blessed me with Psalm 103...

"...He fills my mouth with good things, and renews my youth as the eagles.

Genesis 25...

"Blessings of the breasts and of the womb...

Marriage... (Ephesians 2; Philipians 2:2; Romans 5)

"Lord, I thank you that we are 'fitly joined' together, created for your good pleasure. That you have fulfilled our joy by making us of one heart, mind; that we always abound and increase in love towards one another."

There's much, much more. I am simply standing upon God's word for given situations which occur in life. God's answers to it are in His word. As the Holy Spirit leads me, God will answer me in His word and from there I will pray the scripture and see God's move in a mighty way.

You asked how we pray...for me it is endless and again, no set rule except being lead of the Holy Spirit. God never fails to lead us.

Last edited:

CarLiTa

thank you so much ladies!

and why can't we ask God how he is... granted, we won't get an answer... but I'm not sure why that is disrespectful. Is it ok to say Good Morning God, though?

cocoberry10

CarLiTa said:

and why can't we ask God how he is... granted, we won't get an answer... but I'm not sure why that is disrespectful. Is it ok to say Good Morning God, though?

I feel that God focuses on the condition of our hearts when we do things, at least as much (if not more than) what we do. If you have some things on your heart, I urge you to speak truthfully to the Lord, b/c He already knows what you feel anyway. Don't be as concerned with being "disrespectful," and know that God will begin to change your heart in the areas you need it, especially as your relationship with Him grows. Then you won't have to worry as much about How to pray, as you will be able to do it whenever and wherever you need to.

I also agree with previous posters that there isn't a "set" way to pray. Sometimes saying something as simple as "God, help me," or "Lord Jesus" is a form of prayer. Like I said before, He knows us better than we know ourselves, and communication is key.

I am attaching a link (it has sound) called "The Interview With God" It's got beautiful pics of landscape, and is a really nice presentation about what God wants from us. I think it may help. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.theinterviewwithgod.com/

upandcoming

God is my friend. He's the only one who puts up with my mess and loves me no matter what. I had a really rough semester and have had to make some unconventional decisions about my college career, and if I didn't have God with me, I'd probably go insane. I didn't understand WHY at the time and I still don't understand everything, but slowly...it's being revealed. I've had to let go of a couple of really 'important' people in my life, and I've had to seperate myself from certain situations. Let's just say, health issues, finance issues, personal stuff, career goals, college performance etc...from someone who usually has it "together". I needed Christ more than ever. (hence my sn). God showed me I needed Him more. Things are getting a lot better, things are BETTER, and I'll share my testimony in a couple of months. I couldn't do it on my own. We can't. I say this all to say...Prayer is NECESSARY AND POWERFUL.Jesus is more than anything I could have ever asked for - not only for what He has done for me, but for who He is. Please read the posts in this thread the one below.
----

When we find ourselves wondering about prayer or really feeling like we wanna know God more (like me right now), I feel like that's God inviting us to develop a relationship with HIM or to strengthen it. It's during these times that we learn who GOD is. There's a study that says a lot of people who go to church are going through hardships; I feel like thats been so true for me and for many of us. We often think that we're seeking God, but the truth is, God loves us and is seeking us. He wants to want Him so badly and to know Him and to love Him. When we feel that need to get to know Him, it's like He's tugging at our heart and we're finally realizing it. Let's examine what prayer is.

TO ANSWER THE QUESTION (I have further elaboration on each of the numbers on the bottom). PRAYER:

1. CONFESSION: I think in order to understand prayer to God, we have to understand that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior and the Holy Spirit is the breath of life and lives in dwells in us once we begin a relationship with Christ. We don't have to understand what that means except that we know we want it - we want to have what we've heard about or what we've seen - that peace, that relationship with God. Right now. WE WANT TO KNOW HIM. It starts of simple - just about opening our mouths and minds and hearts and saying, "Lord Jesus Christ, I want you in my life. I accept you as my Savior. I want your Holy Spirit in my life; I want it as my guide. Guide me." And realllllly thinking about this. You can do it right now. In your bed, in your bathroom, anywhere. Go to this site, it's not too long.
http://www.ccci.org/wij/index.html

2. Conversation with God. Talk to God. He knows what you think and how you feel more than you do, but open your mind and heart and mouth outloud or in your head and talk to him. He hears in every tongue. "GOD HELP ME" It's important to praise God through prayer as well. Prayer is WORSHIP and prayer is PETITION. It's talking. It's being open. It changes overtime. For now, open your mouth. Open your heart. Open your ears. He's always talking; are we listening?
"GOD I WANT TO GET TO KNOW YOU! I WANT TO FEEL YOU!"
"GOD I THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME...GOD I THANK YOU FOR SHOWING ME THE WAY" "PLEASE HELP ME LISTEN BECAUSE I WANT YOU TO BE MY FRIEND" "I LOVE YOU JESUS...I LOVE YOU..."
"GOD I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY MAJOR, I KNOW YOU WILL HELP ME FIND OUT WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE ME TO DO"
"GOD I AM DEPRESSED, HELP ME! I PRAY THAT YOU WILL HEAL ME."
Etc.

3. Cultivation: We learn about God in our daily conversations with Him, but he has given us tools that Christians need: the Bible, a good community of Christians, and faith. We cannot do this alone; He gave us these TOOLS for a reason.
1. The Bible. Don't know where to start, what to do? These are two sites I use and greatly recommend:

This is AMAZING. It's my homepage. It also updates lately, but has a lot of questions like "How can God be man and God at the same time?" etc. You can spend anywhere from 2 minutes to hours on it, depending on how much time you have,
http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb.shtml

I think this is a great place to start. It updates daily:
http://www.todayspromise.com/cgi-bin/placetxt.cgi?proc=PAGE&res=main.htm

You can read the Bible here. It's broken up into several pieces:
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/readingplans/chronological.php

2. Community: We need a place of worship; where we're growing. I grew up as a Catholic (kind of) but my family is rather evangelic. I was always involved in church, Sunday School, etc...but my relationship really thrived with GOD, with JESUS CHRIST, with the HOLY SPIRIT in college. I went to a non-denominational church. And I went to a Bible study at my school. I began to read the Bible. The Word became alive. I started singing, I started listening to Christan music...I started attending conferences...my life just changed. And it's still changing (I'm going through a MAJOR life transition now).

3. FAITH: Things go array often times when we're getting closer to God. People want to tempt us away; we find ourselves in situations where we're like "IS GOD REAL?" It's just the devil trying to bring us down. We have to cultivate our faith. Pray for it. "God, please show me how to have faith in you. HELP ME LORD. I WANT TO BELIEVE IN YOU." And faith is cultivated by praying, by worship, by Bible studies....This is all prayer. It's all connected.

I pray that God leads you. I know He will.

Remember God knows your desire, and He honors you when you open your mouth and say it. Its like a good friend, He may know what you're thinking and what you're saying but He wants you to tell him.

I highly recommend the Bible, the websites, and a book called "Good Morning Holy Spirit" by Benny Hinn. I highly recommend finding a good church or listening to church sermons online. It may feel overwhelming but one day at a time...=)

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
CarLiTa said:

The answer from God would be a great big 'hug' from Him. ;).

"Good morning Lord, thank you for being with me today. May all that I say and do bring a smile to your heart. I choose to take you by the hand as you help me to understand more and more about you. In Jesus' name, Amen."

Every Christmas, our children sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus and we have prayer before we open our gifts. We thank Him for being His gift to us. The children 'lead' us in prayer... and we're the grown-ups. :lol:

I did the Catholic thing for 2 years. I loved the structure and order. You knew what to pray, when to pray, when to kneel, what to sing and you were out in a hour. Loved It! However, If God is pulling you to a deeper relationship with him you need to follow that. I was bored with Catholicism and I knew there had to be more to it than that. You basically need to set aside time to pray and tell God you want more of him and ask him what you need to do to draw closer to him.:p