How do you prepare your hair for braids?

mstee eyes

I am looking to getting my hair braided for the summer but I’m not sure where to start. How do you prepare your hair for braids? The moisture/ protein balance of my hair seems to be okay to me but should I consider a good protein treatment first or a good moisture treatment to help offset the dryness of the synthetic hair and how both my ends would be wise to get a trim before I get braids or should I leave them alone until after I take my braids out..

Thanks Ladies

Mook's hair

I suggest concentrating on deep conditioning. You can use mild protein conditioners but I would definately avoid hard core protein prior to getting braids.

Wait to get it trimmed until after you remove the braids. If you get it trimmed before, that may cause the blunt or freshly trimmed ends to be more noticeable as the ends tend to stick out of the braids after a while.

If you are relaxed, do not get a relaxer close to getting the braids. I think you should be at least 7 or 8 weeks post when you get braids.

1 or 2 days before you get the braids. wash & deep condition your hair well.

mstee eyes

I suggest concentrating on deep conditioning. You can use mild protein conditioners but I would definately avoid hard core protein prior to getting braids.

Wait to get it trimmed until after you remove the braids. If you get it trimmed before, that may cause the blunt or freshly trimmed ends to be more noticeable as the ends tend to stick out of the braids after a while.

If you are relaxed, do not get a relaxer close to getting the braids. I think you should be at least 7 or 8 weeks post when you get braids.

1 or 2 days before you get the braids. wash & deep condition your hair well.

Thanks I'm actually transitioning and I want to try some braided styles to help me along the way. I've never had braids before and I need all the advice I can get.

Mook's hair

Wherever you go to get it done, Do not let them braid your edges too tight.
That is sooooo important. you'll be mad if they do it too tight and it pulls out your edges.

I'm transitioning too. I mostly use cornrows.

TrendySocialite

I agree...I would consider a protein treatment, maybe a light one, to make sure your hair is strong enough to endure the braiding.

I wore braids for the past two summers. The care you pay to the hair when in braids is important too. I did scalp massages, took vitamins mostly. Wish I would have known about MN then, cuz my growth would have been ridiculous if I would have used that too.

Don't neglect the hair just because it's in braids. Keeping your scalp in good condition is important too.

mstee eyes

Thanks Mook I would not have even though about my edges. BTW I LOVE YOUR HAIR you are my inspiration. :grin::grin:

Thanks Arr1216 your hair is also very lovely. What do you recommend for the scalp while its braided up??

Mook's hair

Your welcome. I am so serious when I tell you DON'T LET THEM DO YOUR EDGES TOO TIGHT!!!

If one single solitary braid feels like it is pulling too hard, then stop her and make her re-do that one.

Usually the edges are the main places that give people issues.

My friend recently had teenie-tiny micros. so small that they were even able to catch all of her baby hair on her edges and braid that.

Skillful...YES.
Good Idea...No.

She kept the micros in for 2 weeks and although we were oh so careful when removing them. she lost more hair along hair edges.

Let me farther explain. some of the braids simply pulled her hair out. as we tried to carefully un braid and remove the extension. the hair would just come out of her scalp and still be attached to the braid.

The good news is, it's temporary and can and will grow back. She just emailed me this morning and she said it is filling in nicely. But I use this example to stress that you must not allow your edges to be tight, they cannot handle the stress.

iasade

I usually wear my natural hair in braids for 3-4 weeks at a time. When I do get human hair to keep them in longer, I always, always, always do a wash, deep conditioner and hot oil treatment, prior to adding the braids. Like the other sisters said, watch the edges and keep your scalp clean and conditioned just like you would if you didn't have the braids. I usually lift the braids and apply leave-in conditioner to my scalp nightly and spray it for moisture daily.

HTH:yawn:

TrendySocialite

I did use Dr. Miracle's braid spray, especially if my scalp was feeling particularly itchy. The tingly feeling was nice.

Of course since I know a little better (thanks to LHCF), I'd suggest using peppermint oil at night (sometimes the scent can be a bit strong for day). You really only need to use when scalp is itchy or may every 2-4 days.

If you've ever wanted to try a MN mix, this is a good time to do it. You could add peppermint oil to that and kill two birds with one stone.

If your braids are washable, I'd still wait a few weeks to wash. I used a no-shampoo wash that left my scalp tingly fresh (at any BSS store). If your braids aren't washable, the no water shampoo is a great option. Natural options are a ACV rinse perhaps or other natural no-poo options.

I'm sure some naturals up here could help or go to motowngirl.com for some no-poo options.

ARR

Thanks Mook I would not have even though about my edges. BTW I LOVE YOUR HAIR you are my inspiration. :grin::grin:

Thanks Arr1216 your hair is also very lovely. What do you recommend for the scalp while its braided up??

LongHairDreams

I did use Dr. Miracle's braid spray, especially if my scalp was feeling particularly itchy. The tingly feeling was nice.

Of course since I know a little better (thanks to LHCF), I'd suggest using peppermint oil at night (sometimes the scent can be a bit strong for day). You really only need to use when scalp is itchy or may every 2-4 days.

If you've ever wanted to try a MN mix, this is a good time to do it. You could add peppermint oil to that and kill two birds with one stone.

If your braids are washable, I'd still wait a few weeks to wash. I used a no-shampoo wash that left my scalp tingly fresh (at any BSS store). If your braids aren't washable, the no water shampoo is a great option. Natural options are a ACV rinse perhaps or other natural no-poo options.

I'm sure some naturals up here could help or go to motowngirl.com for some no-poo options.

ARR

How do I find out if the hair is washable. Is there something on the packages that I don't see that will tell me? I just bought some Afro Kinky hair.

Rapunzel*

i would deep condition your hair a few times before you braid

if you clip your ends do it a week before you braid, and keep your ends moistened so your hair wont dry out

while you have them in i would suggest washing them once a week with a stocking cap over your head(you dont have to cover the ends)
buy a mist bottle and mix it with some oils you like and a dab of water(this will make it easier to oil your scalp)
always tie your braids up before you sleep or take a nap

edges arent the only think you need to worry about. the last row in the back is very sensitive as well as the sides

i wouldnt keep the synthetic hair in longer than 5 weeks while your transitioning, this will make less tangles and knots:yep:

d-rock

How do I find out if the hair is washable. Is there something on the packages that I don't see that will tell me? I just bought some Afro Kinky hair.

I hear micros aren't washable. But there is a waterless shampoo for braids that is sold at Sally's Beauty Supply. Don't know how well it works.

mstee eyes

i would deep condition your hair a few times before you braid

if you clip your ends do it a week before you braid, and keep your ends moistened so your hair wont dry out

while you have them in i would suggest washing them once a week with a stocking cap over your head(you dont have to cover the ends)
buy a mist bottle and mix it with some oils you like and a dab of water(this will make it easier to oil your scalp)
always tie your braids up before you sleep or take a nap

edges arent the only think you need to worry about. the last row in the back is very sensitive as well as the sides

i wouldnt keep the synthetic hair in longer than 5 weeks while your transitioning, this will make less tangles and knots:yep:

Keep the tips coming ladies. With all this knowledge going around I'm going to have that braider walking on egg shells with me!:orders::orders:

TrendySocialite

You may have and it probably worked, that's just the rule of thumb I generally go by.

The no-water shampoos are really good and cleanse the scalp well.

I generally wait to wash braids (I usually get micros) a few weeks so that none slip out (which can happen when you wash).

ive washed my hir with synthetic:perplexed

maybe it wasnt a god idea but my scalp needed it:yep:

Rapunzel*

You may have and it probably worked, that's just the rule of thumb I generally go by.

The no-water shampoos are really good and cleanse the scalp well.

I generally wait to wash braids (I usually get micros) a few weeks so that none slip out (which can happen when you wash).
yea it will slip esp. if its human

what about co-washing?

thats why i wont ever keep them in over 4 weeks :ohwell: because when i oil my scalp it will cause buildup and my scalp is thirsty:lick: