How Do You Properly Use A Blowdryer???

azul11

I think I can count the number of times I have used a blowdryer or a blowdryer has been used on me on one hand. I do not know how to use one. I think I usually just move it around my head till the hair is dry. Of course it doesnt look great but I am wondering how are people using it.

How do you properly use a blowdryer? For people who get the sleek look what do you use or do to get that look with a blowdryer. God bless you all.

kitchen_tician

Well, it depends on the type of hand held dryer you have. There are a couple of methods. Many use the comb attachment on the end of the blow dryer nozzle and blow dry their hair in sections. This gives a straight, sleek look. If an attachment doesn't come with your blowdryer, you can purchase one from a BSS.

I use a brush and blowdryer to straighten my hair. This method isn't the easiest, but it's very effective with straightening. This is pretty much the same method many Dominican salons use.

HTH

iwantlongerhair

kitchen_tician said:
Well, it depends on the type of hand held dryer you have. There are a couple of methods. Many use the comb attachment on the end of the blow dryer nozzle and blow dry their hair in sections. This gives a straight, sleek look. If an attachment doesn't come with your blowdryer, you can purchase one from a BSS.

I use a brush and blowdryer to straighten my hair. This method isn't the easiest, but it's very effective with straightening. This is pretty much the same method many Dominican salons use.

HTH

what kind of brush do u use? thanks

VelvetRain

kitchen_tician said:

HTH

This is the very same method I use the once a year time I blow dry my hair straight from being wet. I use a conair paddle ion brush

cafe_au_lait

Hi! I'm not Kitchen_tician, but if she is using the Dominican method, then she is probably using a round boar-bristled brush and a concentrator nozzle on her blow dryer and following the dryer with the brush to get straight hair.

At the Dominican salons, they usually roller set the hair first with wrap lotion, sit you under the hood dryer until dry, and then they use the blow dryer with concentrator nozzle and a round brush to straighten out your roots. Another way that I like to get my hair straight is to use a FIRM plastic bristled paddle brush with the blow dryer and concentrator attachment (I have been completely natural for about 1 year, until three weeks ago when I mildly texturized -- but still my hair is more kinky than curly). It doesn't get your hair as straight as the dominican way, but it comes mighty close, is MUCH easier for me to do (because the brush is so much bigger so you don't have to focus on such small sections), and doesn't rip out my kinky hair with the round brush bristles. :perplexed But if you have a relaxer, then the round brush is probably the best bet for you! :D

webby

Think Slim
cafe_au_lait said:
Hi! I'm not Kitchen_tician, but if she is using the Dominican method, then she is probably using a round boar-bristled brush and a concentrator nozzle on her blow dryer and following the dryer with the brush to get straight hair.

At the Dominican salons, they usually roller set the hair first with wrap lotion, sit you under the hood dryer until dry, and then they use the blow dryer with concentrator nozzle and a round brush to straighten out your roots. Another way that I like to get my hair straight is to use a FIRM plastic bristled paddle brush with the blow dryer and concentrator attachment (I have been completely natural for about 1 year, until three weeks ago when I mildly texturized -- but still my hair is more kinky than curly). It doesn't get your hair as straight as the dominican way, but it comes mighty close, is MUCH easier for me to do (because the brush is so much bigger so you don't have to focus on such small sections), and doesn't rip out my kinky hair with the round brush bristles. :perplexed But if you have a relaxer, then the round brush is probably the best bet for you! :D

Co-signing. You want to avoid brushes with metal rods. Those types of brushes are used to conduct heat, meant for setting hair and can lead to damage. Also, if your goal is to achieve a dominican blow out, you definitely don't want to use a Sally's blow dryer; you will need something with more force, like a Super solano or Turbo 1500. These blowers have a lot of force (I have mine rigged to create more air-flow).

You can definitely achieve an authentic dominican blowout at home, just have to practive your skills. Also, I recommend making sure that your hair is 100% before pulling out your rollers, because then you'll only need to blow out your roots.

HTH

kitchen_tician

Thanks cafe au lait
(I cut and paste this from my journal)

http://public.fotki.com/Kitchentician/products__tools/2004_0712image0116.html

BLOWDRYING TECHNIQUE:
This takes LOTS of practice and it's sort of hard to explain. Before blowdrying, I put Fantasia IC Leave in and Wildgrowth oil on my hair and scalp, while it's wet and let it partially airdry.

I don't use a comb attachment. I use a regular hand held blow dryer and a blow drying brush (in my album under "products"). I work the brush with one hand and direct the nozzle on my hair and brush, with the other hand. I lift my hair away from my head with the brush and then put the heat on it (on or very close to the brush bristles.) Once it's straight and dry, I put a lil' grease on my scalp and blow dry a lil more to melt it in. (grease optional) You can get the same effect without the grease.

baglady215

The ladies have given your great tips. One I've learned is to make sure you blow the hair DOWN your hair shaft (root to tip), not up. Blowing up the shaft can damage the cuticle, while blowing down helps to keep it closed.