How do you smoothe your hair...

FluffyRed

... when doing a lye perm.

I have used Mizani BB/FC and BB/Regular lye, applied for the full time (18 mins) and double time. (36 mins) over several touchups.

I smoothed it like I always did my no-lye, with fingers. I always got a texlaxed effect.

Today, I hopped into a stylist's chair and let her apply my Mizani relaxer. I based the scalp and honey shielded my ends. I timed her. She applied and smoothed, let it sit for 5 minutes and rinsed.

That joker was almost bone straight!!! Her smoothing method was more pulling with a fine-toothed comb. WOW!

No more self-laxing! I HEART this girl!!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I smooth with the back of a comb. My fingers don't get it as straight for some reason :perplexed

la mosca

Great question. I have self-relaxed once so far, and I smoothed with the rattail part of a comb. It worked well because it allowed me to get right at the new growth without brushing up against previously-relaxed ends.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I never use a comb. The stylist has a technique with sectioning. I did my first successful relaxer in 2 sections. I based my scalp with vaseline the night before and retouched vaseline to my edges before relaxing. The key is to smooth the the NG after putting some relaxer on it. On other words, you part hair, add relaxer to the top and then smooth it down. I hope I didn't confuse you with my wording it.:rolleyes: A male stylist on Youtube has excellent relaxer info. Once I find it again, I'll post it for you.

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

I have this same issue, too. I always thought a stylist can get it smoother because they are at a better angle to smooth and most use a brush to apply relaxer, too. I usually use my fingers, but my next relaxer, I'm going to use the applicator brush.