How do you straighten your hair....

What is your preferred method for straightening your hair?

• Rollerset and silk wrap

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Rollerset and flat iron

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Blow dry and silk wrap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blow dry and flat iron

Votes: 52 46.0%
  • Air dry and silk wrap

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Air dy and flat iron

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jasminea

I am a newbie relaxed head who has been wearing a lot of curly styles over the last 6 months but want to do some straight styles for holiday parties and other upcoming family events.

I would love some feedback on how everyone straightens their hair. I am a recovering heat junkie and have been leary about using my flat iron again. I see a lot of ladies on youtube doing silk/saran wraps after rollersets but have not read very much about it on this board.

Does anyone on the board still do silk wraps and if so what products do you put on your hair to wrap?

Also for those who prefer to flat iron, which flat iron do you use, what products do you use to protect your hair?

Thanks for any replies!

jasminea

I'm natural. I blow dry then flat iron when I want to wear my hair straight

May I ask what products you use as a leave-in and heat protector? I use Rusk Sensories as my normal leave-in and i think it would be too thick to try to flat iron after. Afraid the iron might stick to my hair and burn it! :look:

Aggie

How about a wrap. Check out some youtube videos. Macherieamour has a really good one on YT.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'm relaxed too. I accidentally answered that I rollerset and flat iron. I've rollerset and flat ironed my hair once, and prefer the look of that, but my hair does better with the rollersetting and silk wrapping.

I rollerset my hair with diluted lottabody, HE LTR Leave-In, and I use a little bit of vatika and castor oil to seal in the moisture and give my hair shine.
After the rollerset, I lightly moisturize with a creamy moisturizer (right now, I use Cantu Shea Butter Oil Moisturizer, but I wouldn't recommend it, because it's kind of heavy), a tiny bit more vatika oil, wrap my hair, put one layer of saran wrap around it, and then sit under my dryer for 15 minutes on medium heat.
Then I take off the saran wrap immediately afterwards, so my scalp doesn't start sweating, and voila...silky, shiny hair!
My roots are still kinky though. :lol:

Last edited:

wontonfm

I rollerset and flat iron the roots only. I think less is more so I don't use a lot of products. I use Salerm prior to rollersetting and spritz water on my hair while rollersetting (as per Macherieamour's DVD). After my hair is dry and cooled I use Moroccanoil all over (concentrating on my roots) and then flat iron. I then wrap my hair and either use a light oil or a bit of S-curl and a light oil. These days I've been using the Keracare Humidity Block product prior to wrapping and I love it!

Okay, maybe I use a few more products than I thought but my hair comes out really light.

jasminea

How about a wrap. Check out some youtube videos. Macherieamour has a really good one on YT.

I watched Macheieamour's saran wrap video. That is the one that got me wondering if any ladies on here do saran/silk wraps since I never hear anyone saying they use it in a reggie, nor have I seen any pics posted about it.

Seems the majority flat iron, and with so much concern about heat damage I just wondered why no one does the silk/saran wraps? Do they leave the hair flat and without body? Or do they just not work on mid-length hair (I am a few inches from APL) and just on long haired ladies like Macherieamour?

jasminea

I rollerset and flat iron the roots only. I think less is more so I don't use a lot of products. I use Salerm prior to rollersetting and spritz water on my hair while rollersetting (as per Macherieamour's DVD). After my hair is dry and cooled I use Moroccanoil all over (concentrating on my roots) and then flat iron. I then wrap my hair and either use a light oil or a bit of S-curl and a light oil. These days I've been using the Keracare Humidity Block product prior to wrapping and I love it!

Okay, maybe I use a few more products than I thought but my hair comes out really light.

This sounds like a good combination of products and from your pics it seems to get your hair straight but still healthy!

jasminea

I'm relaxed too. I accidentally answered that I rollerset and flat iron. I've rollerset and flat ironed my hair once, and prefer the look of that, but my hair does better with the rollersetting and silk wrapping.

I rollerset my hair with diluted lottabody, HE LTR Leave-In, and I use a little bit of vatika and castor oil to seal in the moisture and give my hair shine.
After the rollerset, I lightly moisturize with a creamy moisturizer (right now, I use Cantu Shea Butter Oil Moisturizer, but I wouldn't recommend it, because it's kind of heavy), a tiny bit more vatika oil, wrap my hair, put one layer of saran wrap around it, and then sit under my dryer for 15 minutes on medium heat.
Then I take off the saran wrap immediately afterwards, so my scalp doesn't start sweating, and voila...silky, shiny hair!
My roots are still kinky though. :lol:

Thanks for the details! I never thought about the sweaty scalp issue, but I sweat really bad in my scalp under the dryer so a saran wrap for me will have to be on low or med heat also. I love alot of the products you mention and already have most. I'm already a little bit of a product junky so really like the idea of being able to use things I already have. :spinning:

Jazala

I watched Macheieamour's saran wrap video. That is the one that got me wondering if any ladies on here do saran/silk wraps since I never hear anyone saying they use it in a reggie, nor have I seen any pics posted about it.

Seems the majority flat iron, and with so much concern about heat damage I just wondered why no one does the silk/saran wraps? Do they leave the hair flat and without body? Or do they just not work on mid-length hair (I am a few inches from APL) and just on long haired ladies like Macherieamour?

I've tried the silk wraps and it just doesn't seem to last very long on my hair. My ends dont get sealed enough and my hair starts to poof up after a while. It also doesn't get the new growth to lay down. I go 3 months between relaxer retouches.

I either rollerset/flatiron or airdry/flatiron depending on how much time I have to finish my hair. My leave in is Rusk Str8 and for heat protection I use Silk Elements spray all over and a tiny bit of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum on the ends only.

purplepeace79

I'm natural but on the very rare occasion I want my hair straightened, I go to a Dominican salon and get a roller set followed by a blow dry with a big round brush

jasminea

I've tried the silk wraps and it just doesn't seem to last very long on my hair. My ends dont get sealed enough and my hair starts to poof up after a while. It also doesn't get the new growth to lay down. I go 3 months between relaxer retouches.

I either rollerset/flatiron or airdry/flatiron depending on how much time I have to finish my hair. My leave in is Rusk Str8 and for heat protection I use Silk Elements spray all over and a tiny bit of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum on the ends only.

I am like drooling over your hair! :lick: My hair is the same length as yours, so I would probably have the same issue with the NG not laying down. I guess the only way to get it as straight as I want it would be to use my flat iron and pray I don't do any damage. I think I will plan on air drying first to at least save the abuse of the blow dryer. Come to think of it, I never replaced my old hand held blow dryer once I started my HHJ!

DarkHair

I either rollerset, air dry, or blow dry my hair.

When I rollerset I use coconut oil and a heat protectant. I also use a little hp when I air or blow dry so that I can just flat iron.

Aggie

I was APL when I tried it. I have an album in my fotki with pics showing my attempt at doing Macherieamour's saran wrap and I had a thread in here on it too a while back. It was something I did just to see if I can, and I actually did okay. I most likely will try it again after this long relaxer stretch.

jasminea

I was APL when I tried it. I have an album in my fotki with pics showing my attempt at doing Macherieamour's saran wrap and I had a thread in here on it too a while back. It was something I did just to see if I can, and I actually did okay. I most likely will try it again after this long relaxer stretch.

I checked out your fotki and your saran wrap came out well. My hair is almost the length of yours and looks to be a similar texture.

Did is seem to weigh down your hair or was it still bouncy? What did you not like about it that prevented you from doing it again?

My hair has a tendency to act funny sometimes.:look:

TIA

werenumber2

Natural here - I straighten maybe once or twice a year. Usually, I would get a blow-out at a Dominican salon but earlier this year I air-dryed and flat ironed.

prospurr4

I voted "Other." I'm texlaxed and straighten my hair 4 times a year, after touchups. I rollerset on 2" (gray) magnetic rollers, airdry and/or bonnet dry, crosswrap and tie down with a silk scarf.

wontonfm

I've tried the saran wrap method before but found that it made my roots puffy because I was sweating in my head too much. Probably tried it 2 or3 times. I think my combination of products (particularly the Salerm and Moroccanoil) get the same effect as the saran wrap method.

Whimsy

I'm natural. When I want my hair straight I let it airdry and then I flatiron with my beloved maxiglide :)

adf23

I'm natural as well. What works great for me is ponytail rollersetting (only 6 tails) then going over each section with my Chi.

Nonie

Also for those who prefer to flat iron, which flat iron do you use, what products do you use to protect your hair?
Thanks for any replies!

I chose airdry then flat iron but wanted to mention I airdry with Curlformers to stretch my hair.

I use John Frieda Frizz-Ease Heat Defeat Protective Styling Spray to coat my hair well section by section before doing a wet-to-dry press.

Then I apply John Frieda Frizz-Ease Serum Thermal Protection Formula to small sections at a time and pass the flat iron over one more time to seal.

jasminea

I'm natural. When I want my hair straight I let it airdry and then I flatiron with my beloved maxiglide :)

Love your hair in your sig. I have a mini travel sedu I use just for straightening my roots after rollersets when I stretch but need to check into the maxiglide. If I start flat ironing my whole head I will need something more than my mini-sedu.

Beaute Noire

I like to Blow-dry and flatiron after a good moisturizing DC with heat. Tresseme Heat Tamer Spray is a staple....So is Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-in. Then a lil bit of serum/Argan oil and I'm good 2 go. :gorgeous:

ceebee3

I rollerset and then do a regular wrap for a straight look. I don't do the silk/saran wrap because it dries out my hair and I get the same effect from just wrapping my hair and tying it with my silk scarf for a while (usually overnight).

If I'm over 12 weeks post I will wrap my hair at night if I want to keep it straight. I don't do this anytime from 1-8 weeks because my hair gets too flat from wrapping. Right after a relaxer I'll just pincurl.

I usually just wash, deep condition, add a creamy leave in (Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, Pantene, lacio lacio-anything moisturizing), Aphogee keratin spray, and seal with a serum (usually chi or Paul Mitchell).

jasminea

I like to Blow-dry and flatiron after a good moisturizing DC with heat. Tresseme Heat Tamer Spray is a staple....So is Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-in. Then a lil bit of serum/Argan oil and I'm good 2 go. :gorgeous:

I have never heard of argan oil. I'll have to do a search on that one. I just started using Aussie products and so far my hair loves the Aussie Moist conditioner.