How do you transition without damaging your natural texture?

ceebee3

I'm not transitioning yet but I know I will eventually. I was considering being a long term transitioner but I thought about it and I don't know if it would work.

If I was constantly flat ironing or blow drying the new growth to match the relaxed hair, wouldn't that ruin my natural hair? Is that why a lot of you BC after a few months?

So how do you guys do it without damage. I don't plan on being a heat straightened natural I would want to wear my hair without having it straight all the time.

Thanks

Can't help here cos I don't use direct heat on my relaxed hair or new growth...

But Allandra does and her hair is beautiful.

I transitioned successfully for 16 months with flat ironing and relatively little heat damage to my natural texture.

I say relatively little because I flat ironed every 3 weeks for 16 months so in my mind I expected to see possibly major heat damage regardless of my efforts to combat that.

What I used to do was rely heavily on DC and protein treatments, heat protectorant spray and serums, and not scorching my hair to death. It definitely helped because my natural texture now with the exception of one minor section (literally about a 1x1" section) is fine.

I transitioned using braid outs. I wasn't a flat-ironer when I was relaxed, and didn't want to start when I transitioned. I also had very heavy deep conditioning treatments throughout, but I only planned to transition one year anyway, and after 7 months got tired of looking at relaxed hair when I wanted curly hair. That was the reason I cut my transition short.

I transitioned a few times growing up getting presses and never experienced heat damage. I think it's about the individual's hair tolerances and the skill of the person who is applying heat. The person who would press my hair, did my mother and her mother's hair, so she had major experience especially having dealt with 3 generations of hair. You get damage when you misuse heat or don't know your individual tolerance for it.

Well, I transitioned and still wanted my hair straight, so I go to the stylist and get my hair rollerset and my roots blowed out. It works as long as you put a heat protectant on your hair. I use formadyl and I only get it done once a week.

i straightened weekly for the first 6 months of my transition and sporadically now (If I could do it again...I wouldn't have straightened as much!)... You just have to take the same precautions that you would when you are all natural. Also, with research you find styles that help blend your hair. Like today, I DC'd and airdried...lightly blow dried my hair and bantu knotted. I took them out and it's a great curly set.

Basically, just be careful...heat damage happens, but the more careful you are the less likely you are to have it...

I stopped flat ironing and using heat as much and my hair has grown/retained a whole lot more b/c of it...

Last edited:
I transitioned for 22 months.
it was a lot of braidouts i tell ya. A lot of braidouts.
Also wash n gos in the beginning. until month 7 or so.
Braidouts and buns were life savers.

Yeah..once the NG starts taking over, you might find yourself more determined to make the relaxed hair match the kinks rather than vice versa.

I did a lot of protective styles for 2 reasons:

1: They helped keep me transitioning and satisfied. If my hair looked like booty or I had to deal with it all the time I probably would have relaxed out of frustration -- AGAIN.

2: To cut down on manipulation and damage. The demarcation line is really delicate, and if you want to keep your relaxed hair attached you have to take a lot of precautions when dealing with it. Protective styles meant that wasn't needed.

If you're determined to wear straight styles the whole time, and know you'll be using heat frequently, then the best you can do is avoid direct heat and find a good heat protectant. Rollersetting is much safer long term for avoiding damage than a press or constant blow outs would be. But not everyone's hair handles heat the same, so take it slow and monitor your hair. Keep up on your treatments and DC's to keep the hair healthy too. :yep:

I am currently transitioning from texlaxed to natural but rarely use heat to combat the two textures. Protective styling with a wig that I make has made this transition effortless. I am 17 months post with no BC date in sight.

Last edited:
I agree with the person who said knowing your personal tolerance for heat will help you, also good heat appliances/ products are key. I've found that my Sedu and silkening/ curling wax helped alot. I transitioned my sister with weekly flat ironing (we always used heat protectants), trimmed her 1 inch every 4-6 weeks and her natural hair suffered no damage at all.

It's easier to make the straight hair blend with the natural than the other way around. Experiment with protective and low manipulation styles to make the two textures look like one.

Yeah..once the NG starts taking over, you might find yourself more determined to make the relaxed hair match the kinks rather than vice versa.

I did a lot of protective styles for 2 reasons:

1: They helped keep me transitioning and satisfied. If my hair looked like booty or I had to deal with it all the time I probably would have relaxed out of frustration -- AGAIN.

2: To cut down on manipulation and damage. The demarcation line is really delicate, and if you want to keep your relaxed hair attached you have to take a lot of precautions when dealing with it. Protective styles meant that wasn't needed.

If you're determined to wear straight styles the whole time, and know you'll be using heat frequently, then the best you can do is avoid direct heat and find a good heat protectant. Rollersetting is much safer long term for avoiding damage than a press or constant blow outs would be. But not everyone's hair handles heat the same, so take it slow and monitor your hair. Keep up on your treatments and DC's to keep the hair healthy too. :yep:

Cosign on this whole post but to the bolded - this is very true. Once I hit the 3.5 - 4 month mark post relaxer it seemed like the new growth was taking over. It was easier to wear textured styles then. I bought a phony pony puff that looked like my hair and started wearing it.

I'm not transitioning yet but I know I will eventually. I was considering being a long term transitioner but I thought about it and I don't know if it would work.

If I was constantly flat ironing or blow drying the new growth to match the relaxed hair, wouldn't that ruin my natural hair? Is that why a lot of you BC after a few months?

So how do you guys do it without damage. I don't plan on being a heat straightened natural I would want to wear my hair without having it straight all the time.

Thanks

Sorry I didn't read every post, so someone may have already said this; I cut because I was stupid.

I transitioned without really knowing or being dedicated to what my hair and body were telling me. I stretched a relaxer for 6 months and had a lot of NG...and then I kind of relaxed for about 7 minutes.

My hair was not straight but it was not fully relaxed at the roots either.

When I finally BC a month later (March 2009), I had lost 6 months of fully natural hair. September 2009 is the earliest I can honestly start to see my natural hair for what it is.

I think you can rollerset beautifully without doing any damage to your hair. You can also do braid outs and curl the ends for a beautiful style. Many other women have done so, and I did braid outs myself with no damage and great health. You don't have to use a lot of heat to transition...

If I had just kept doing what was working, I would have been just fine!!!

Either way (BC early or transition later), you'll have health. It just depends on whether or not you want length.

Blessings,
cj

Back