How do your friends feel about you and your hair care?

ThinQuinG

My roommate probably thinks that I have a serious problem. I think I'm in the early stages of PJism because I have something new every week. I never wear my hair out, and I wash it atleast once a week. She's always trying to get me to try styles but I won't budge lol.. What about you guys?

dlewis

When I decided to grow my hair out, so did my close friends, cousins, and mother. They all come to me for advice. Now I'm working with my brother's girlfriend on her hair.:look:

KiniKakes

They're all on the bandwagon! THey come to me for advice all the time, and are quick to buy the products (vitamins, growth aids, etc.) that I use, and incorporate the practices that i do (ie, protecting). I guess the proof is in the pudding, and they see how far i've come over these last couple of years. :)

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
My roommate always comments on how long it's getting...I think she's lying.

My other friends don't get it, they'll come into my room and I'm wearing a baggie on my ends and they're just like "uhh..ok"

I'm the only person I know here in the dorms that has a hooded dryer sitting on her desk instead of a computer.I don't think they don't get that either.

locabouthair

i havent told many of my friends because they would either discourage me or tell me that the mthods wouldnt work. one of my friends is supportive and askes me for advice.

leleepop

When I first started they thought I was crazy. My mom would beg me to gt a relaxer lol. They now comment on how great my hair looks now. I still have some ways to go to make my final showcase of my hair though, I wear buns and braidouts alot and no one really know how long its gotten. I want it to be a real shoke.

knottyaaverage

they wonder why i never wear my hair down. they tell me it's thick but that i should wear it down. until these ends thicken up i wont be wearing anything but updo's

caribeandiva

Human being
at first them heffas gave me a hella hard time about it but when they saw how long my hair got after a year i don't hear a peep out of them.

toyztoy

Im a neebie but I've always cared about my hair. I experiment w/ new products but Design seems to work best w/ my hair. My husband says I have the most expensive hair in Cincinnati b/c I will spare no expense for a product!!!! I love hair.:grin: My friends are hair crazy too that's how I found this board!!

Last edited:

Choklatekiss79

I think they think I am a bit obsessed...especially since Ive found LHCF. But Im sure as soon as I hit my first goal (thanks to the great advice and tips on this forum of course), theyll be dying to know my secrets. :D

RZILYNT

I get mega compliments when I wear it down from all of them. I think it is because this is the longest it has ever been in my life. I am shocked that people have no problem coming up to me and touching it.

I had one girl that I had not seen in a while give me a big hug and held on to my hair. But she never said a word. Some ask me what I am doing others do not. I honestly try not to bring up hair to them otherwise they will know that I am hair obsessed.:lol: I hate to admit it. Only my family knows all of the " crazy" stuff I do to keep it up. I have shared with those friends that are sincerely interested in improving their regimen. The others I just accept their compliment and move on.

aprilj

Everyone is just trying to figure out why I'm wearing my ponies all the time :ohwell: . Come April 1st...they'll understand why :p .

Christa438

Family and friends know about some of my new hair care do's and dont's. They have been very supportive of me growing my hair long and healthy. They do wonder if I know what I'm doing since I wear my wig whenever I'm around them. A couple of weeks ago my mama looked at me like :ohwell: and asked me "what is going on with your hair under there?" I thought it was so funny.:lol: I wanted to say "hiding from y'all to the end of the year!" But I just said that I had my hair plaitted for more growth. She was like :look:. My fiance thinks I'm a bit too engrossed, but he snuck a peak at my hair when I forgot to wear my wig around him (I was trying to hide from him too but he's extra nosy anyhow) and he said I looked like I had so much new growth which I knew was his way of being supportive of me & LHCF :grin:.

hothair

Well, most don't know. I once attempted to help out a friend who asked me for advice and she just gave me :eek: look when i went into making sure she had a balance and protein for her over-processed hair...so since then it's only been my sis who knows and is a willing guinea pig to vitamins, Sulphur mixes, baggying etc, I have put my mum on some of the vitamins for health reasons and i'm making her a sulphur mix as well. She goes along cause she figures the fact i've still got hair on my head after all the bleaching and colouring means i've got to know something:lol:

Naphy

I have a friend who is member of LHCF (big up to Fiasca lol) and we are helping each other in this long journey >.< I'm glad I have someone to talk about hair, because my family think I'm mad LOL

toniy

I dont glue in my weave any more. I mostly wear a phony pony that alows me to pin my hair up under. People who know me wonder why I dont have all the styles I used to have. They r not used to me being so plain. I just have to explain that I am giving my hair a rest and no one is going to see it til early summer when my husband gets back.

He has been to sandland for 3 months and I havent had to deal with him asking me about my many pj bags or how long I am going to be on my laptop at night. Most importantly, there is no one pulling my hair and asking when is it going to grow real long.:)

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
None of my friends really know. I only told one friend that I was stretching my relaxer and turns out she's be stretching hers since she starting using relaxers. So I might talk to her.

Sly

ThinQuinG said:
My roommate probably thinks that I have a serious problem. I think I'm in the early stages of PJism because I have something new every week. I never wear my hair out, and I wash it atleast once a week. She's always trying to get me to try styles but I won't budge lol.. What about you guys?

Some people look at me sideways but I am not phased. . . I, too, will not budge (ie protective bun all the way baby).
For those who will listen, I enthusiastically share. . .If not, we shut the conversation down. I know I've found a goldmine here at LHCF so I do not entertain the naysayers.
Everybody's always got something to say about what I decide to do, in general :look: . . . until they see there is a method to my madness. Then everybody's all on board with the who? what? when? where? 'how can I's? and the 'girl, show me what you did's?. . . The proof will speak for itself at year's end.

Besides, my mommy's on my side so I'm good.

Sidenote: Gotta love the moms, right?! You can say "mom, I decided to do operatic juggling full time" mom will be right there reminding you "practice and be the best you can be. don't drop a ball. . . you bet not embarass me. . .:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: "
And you know she supports you 110% percent!!!

Stay encouraged, ladies! Happy Hair Growing! Do it - Do it!

camellia

My best friend came over to visit me one day and I answered the door with a plastic cap and a hot towel on my head. I told her I had a honey and olive butter mask on my hair and she couldn't stop laughing.:lol: Mind you she has not quite shoulder length hair that she cuts every time it starts to creep down toward her shoulders.

She stayed while I rinsed and combed my hair and she had to admit the honey made it shiny.

Most of my friends aren't really interested in what I do with my hair.

ThinQuinG

Wow I almost forgot about this post..

But I had a friend come over my house one day and I had a plastic cap and a soft bonnet dryer on my hair for my deep condition.. She couldn't stop laughing.

I don't mind the laughs though.. They still ask me what I do for my hair and I answer happily

Christa438

camellia said:
My best friend came over to visit me one day and I answered the door with a plastic cap and a hot towel on my head. I told her I had a honey and olive butter mask on my hair and she couldn't stop laughing.:lol: Mind you she has not quite shoulder length hair that she cuts every time it starts to creep down toward her shoulders.

She stayed while I rinsed and combed my hair and she had to admit the honey made it shiny.

Most of my friends aren't really interested in what I do with my hair.

:lol: She sounds like my boo. one day he caught me in the kitchen making my protein treatment with yogurt, real mayo, eggs...he was laughing as he told me that I'm probably going to end up bald if i put that gunk in my hair that's supposed to be for cooking, not for hair.
And also my family laughed at me one day when my babygirl (She was about 10 months then) had a plastic cap on her head. That was when I decided to put a hot-oil treatment on her hair. They were falling down laughing! I was just trying to start early making sure her hair stays strong and healthy.

pinkdot's blog

Most of the people in my family don't care. My mom and my boyfriend care the most. The few times my mom saw my hair she complimented me on how much it was growing. A few weeks ago I took my wig off in front of my boyfriend and I took out one of the big plats out that I had in my hair in the back to go stretch it out in the mirror. Before I went in the bathroom he asked if he could touch my hair. He said that my braid out felt sexy. :) My boyfriend also knows that my hair is growing and he is learning to be supportive for me. :kiss:

At first people were like "yah, yah online hair care site". :( Now there watching me and sneaking peeks when I wear my hair down. Now I don't even say anything unless they ask. They don't ask me anything right now because they remember how stupid they were acting before they seen my hair grow these 2 inches in three months. :lol:

sholly6

toyztoy said:
Im a neebie but I've always cared about my hair. I experiment w/ new products but Design seems to work best w/ my hair. My husband says I have the most expensive hair in Cincinnati b/c I will spare no expense for a product!!!! I love hair.:grin:

I know what you mean my needs a full-time job. lol:D

Tee

Mine dont say much. I though most people would look at me odd or say, "You use What?!?" They are all cool. They ask in an all earnest like tone and never once frown at my answers. I just love that my sister will call and ask for tips for her lil ones hair!

wheezy807

I just take it as it comes. When i mentioned it to my aunt;only "growing it out thru the internet"; she immediately shut me down by saying, "gurl you believe that stuff! So nobody really supportive except a close cousin. My other aunt fakes like she interested and tries to spark up 'hair conversions' here and there. She'll tell me," yea, so now i wash my hair once a month since it's shedding so bad." So i just 95% listen. I feel if she wants my opinion or advice she will flat out ask for it. I also told one of my patients and she always saying, "oh your hair is really growing". How cute is she. :lol: Then i'll have to say," No, Linda it's the same length because the stylist gave me a cut instead of a trim!":lachen: But for the most part i am mostly secretive about my hair goal and so forth. Like someone else said, the proof will be in the pudding.

Miss*Tress

Brilliant! :up:
Sly said:
Besides, my mommy's on my side so I'm good.

Sidenote: Gotta love the moms, right?! You can say "mom, I decided to do operatic juggling full time" mom will be right there reminding you "practice and be the best you can be. don't drop a ball. . . you bet not embarass me. . .:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: "
And you know she supports you 110% percent!!!

Stay encouraged, ladies! Happy Hair Growing! Do it - Do it!
Besides my Mom and one of my cousins (who listens because she's polite and she loves me - bless her heart) I don't peep a word to anyone about hair care outside of LHCF and a couple of other boards. I do get more attention and compliments on my hair from family, friends, and strangers since I stopped relaxing though.

darkangel25

dlewis said:
When I decided to grow my hair out, so did my close friends, cousins, and mother. They all come to me for advice. Now I'm working with my brother's girlfriend on her hair.:look:

The same is happening with me, but first I kept getting the "why do you want to grow your hair out" from one family member, now she's asking to use my products and wanting to know what to do with her hair.

My friends do not know what I'm doing since most of them live in other cities now, but my family knows and they are the ones who ask my advice.