How does the hair regime sound for a swimmer?

sillygirl82

So I've decided to take up swimming and the aqua fitness classes at my gym. I usually DC, wash, condition, and then flat iron my hair for the week. However, I'll be going to these classes several times a week and I'm not going to flat iron my hair every day or so.

So since I'm natural (my texture is around 3c, I guess), I've decided to try the wash and go approach. What do you ladies think of this new regime?

1. DC and shampoo at least once a week.

Rest of the week:
1. Co-wash
2. Towel dry
3. Apply Giovanni leave-in, comb through with Denman
4. Apply gel: I have Giovanni natural gel and Eco styler gel. Comb through. I need to see which gel works best.
5. Wrap in scarf and air dry over night.

HairBarbie

It sounds really good, but depending on how frequently you'd be swimming, you should use a clarifying shampoo once a week or every other week.

I remember a thread a while back and someone recommended putting a little conditioner in your hair before you enter the pool.

newflowers

definitely coat the strands with conditioner and/or oil - chlorine can be murder on hair. also you need to wear a swimming cap - it's not pretty, but your hair will be protected. wash at least once a week with a swimmer's or clarifying shampoo.

sillygirl82

I have the Giovanni 50/50 hydrating clarifying shampoo. I hope that counts as a clarifying. What are other clarifying shampoos?

Yes, I coat my hair and then put a swimmers cap over it.

JinaRicci

congrats on your new hobby! your regime sounds fine... when i swim regularly i use a swimcap and the paul mitchell shampoo 3 which removes chlorine from my hair- not sure if you've tried that one. but that's only 1/week max, followed by a DC. i found that if i washed too often, combined with the chlorine, my hair became really dry. most days, you can just rinse your hair with water w/o conditioning if you like.