How does THIS New Transitioning Regime Sound (???)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Once a week...
1. Comb & section off hair, and put into 4-6 large braids.
2. Pre-poo treatment for 30-45 mins with oil concoction: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Hot 6 Oil, WGHO, & Motions Salon Herbals Oil Sheen
3. In the shower, shampoo each braid one at a time with Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
4. Unloosen each section one at a time, place LeKair Cholesterol Plus on hair, detangle with Jilbere Shower Comb, rinse, braid the section back up, proceed the same way with other sections of hair
5. Out of the shower, moisturize each section with ElastaQP Penetrating Moisturizer
6. Unbraid the sections and smooth hair into a ponytail combing out each section one at a time with K-Cutter Comb or regular wide tooth comb
7. On the length of ponytail, use spray concoction: Suave Humectant, Motions Nourish, S-Curl, oil mixture & water.
8. Twist hair around into a bun and cover with a stocking cap. Wear phony-pony over it if I have to go out somewhere.
9. During the week (as needed), use ElastaQP Penetrating Moisturizer and Citre Shine Gel on my edges (hair exposed to air) and use spray concoction on the hair that's twisted into a bun (not exposed to air). If there are frizzes, use Anne 100% pure boar bristle brush to smooth.

Once a month...
1. Clarify with Elasta QP Bodifying Shampoo
2. Protein Treatment with Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum for 15-30 mins
3. Moisturize with Elasta QP Mango Butter

Other hair styles I may wear instead of the BUN:
*Put several braids/twists in hair and either wear my hair: (a) blowdried straight (check out the entry below on my blowdrying technique) or (b) updo style
*Cornrows
*Wig

Nightly Upkeep:
If blowdried straight: apply oil mixture, either wrap it, put a few rollers in it, or wear it loose with a satin bonnet over it
Any other style: moisturize, wear a bun or a few braids/twists, then tied with a scarf

Last edited:

Nanyanika

your regime sounds great, the first part sounds a lot like the crown and glory technique!!!!good-luck

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I'm sorry PB cause I know you are working really hard on a regime but....

It sounds like you're just doing way too much to your hair. I get the feeling that if you simplify your routine just a little, you'll get stellar results. It's really hard, I know because I'm a huge PJ - but I still don't use so many products all at one time. Also, if you want to keep your transitioning strands, you should never detangle while your hair is dry. It's your hair & you know it & love it like no one else I'm sure. Nevertheless...I don't know...Please don't think I'm trying to enforce my practices on you. This is just my honest opinion. I'll give you my typical routine if you'd like it.

Poohbear

Browndilocks said:
I'm sorry PB cause I know you are working really hard on a regime but....

It sounds like you're just doing way too much to your hair. I get the feeling that if you simplify your routine just a little, you'll get stellar results. It's really hard, I know because I'm a huge PJ - but I still don't use so many products all at one time. Also, if you want to keep your transitioning strands, you should never detangle while your hair is dry. It's your hair & you know it & love it like no one else I'm sure. Nevertheless...I don't know...Please don't think I'm trying to enforce my practices on you. This is just my honest opinion. I'll give you my typical routine if you'd like it.
At first, I'm told I'm not doing enough and now I'm being told I'm doing too much! :whyme:
It sounds like a lot but I'll only be doing this only ONCE a week. I just broke it down into a lot of details. Someone suggested that I need to detangle my hair before washing it to avoid tangles/knots while my hair is wet. I'm transitioning and don't I need to do these steps (sectioning my hair, detangling, etc.) in order to avoid breakage and a lot of shedding??? Also, my hair will be protected in a bun for the whole week. If you're not talking about the details of my regime, what do you mean by I'm doing way too much to my hair??? What would you suggest??? :confused:

Last edited:

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
From another post that you had you had showed how much hair you lost after not washing for 2 weeks...are you still going to do that or wash once a week? Is your hair in need of more protein/ moisture you think? Because if so you should use the Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum once a week and leave on for at least 20 min w/ heat. Follow up with a deep conditioning treatment for a mininmum of 30 min w/ heat. This is what I do. And what do you think of Aphogee or Emergencee??

Poohbear

vikkisecret said:
From another post that you had you had showed how much hair you lost after not washing for 2 weeks...are you still going to do that or wash once a week? Is your hair in need of more protein/ moisture you think? Because if so you should use the Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum once a week and leave on for at least 20 min w/ heat. Follow up with a deep conditioning treatment for a mininmum of 30 min w/ heat. This is what I do. And what do you think of Aphogee or Emergencee??
I'm only washing my hair ONCE a week like this post indicated. I was previously planning on washing ever 2 weeks but NOW I've changed it to once a week.

As far as deep conditioning, I'm just going to do it in the shower. I really don't see the need for deep conditioning separately (that's just me). Isn't conditioning in the shower sufficient enough??? My hair feels the same way after doing a protein treatment as when I used to deep condition with LeKair Cholesterol Plus.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I'll start with your once a month routine:

The clarifying & protein sounds great. My problem is with the EQP mango butter. Yes, it's fluffy & smells great, but it is not a conditioner, perse. It's a finishing cream and should be used as such, not taking the place of a moisturizing conditioner - especially after a protein treatment. So actually, I would add a step there by using a moisturizing conditioner - after the protein but before the mango butter.

Weekly routine:
Now that I'm reading it again and visualizing, it does sound ok. I just wouldn't try to detangle 100% dry natural hair. I'd use water or a watery leave in to dampen my hair first.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Alright we know that Lekair Cholestoral is not Poohbear's friend but what about Elasta DPR-11? Your hair seems to do well with thier products so there's a better chance you'll see much better improvement and less breakage or shedding during detangling. Would you be willing to try Nexxus Emergencee;) .It has been a godsend for me and my hair after years of abusing it w/ heat and overlapping unnecessary relaxers.:D

vangrey

that is alot of work... but as long as you can be consistent.
here are some of my suggestions:
i suggest wetting your hair thoroughly first then apply a detangling conditioner like ddta or vo5. detangling dry hair is a no-no in my book. it causes breakage. also, i wouldn't do a hot oil treatment on dry hair, when i did my hair like that i got a lot of shedding. :ohwell: lastly, i dont think its necessarily to wash your hair in sections.... but thats my opinion.

ThursdayGirl

I kinda agree with Browndilocks. My first thought is ...wow this is a lot of products and a lot of manipulation. I don't know about you... but my hair straight up revolts if I use too many products and my scalp starts hurting if I try to comb it too much dry.

I like that you are going back to washing once a week and that you are not really manipulating your hair until the next wash. That's what I do and I have found it helps alot.

My routine is something like this:

Preparation: I comb out the relaxed ends then... split hair into quadrants and secure each with a braid.

Prepoo-suave biobasics with honey applied like you would a relaxer except I do go to the ends too..(this does a great job of starting the detangling process by softening the hair and giving elasticity. I read you want to do an oil-based pre-poo... my only issue with this is that oils tend to lock in moisture... I don't find that they moisturize my hair very much...except Shea butter...but I wouldn't recommend that as a pre-poo)

Wash/deep condition-if I co wash, I use Suave Humectant (sometimes tropical coconut)...usually rinsing out the prepoo is good enough, though...so, I just put some AO GPB in my hair and sit under the dryer for 20-30- then rinse out and detangle under the water stream of the shower.

Post-wash: add NTM silk leave-in to each section and do the final detangle.

if its late... I'll sit under the dryer for 15 minutes to dry the roots a bit and then hit the ends with my ionic hair dryer-then braid it up for the night.

if its not too late... I'll braid it wet/damp and let it airdry.

I think I use a total of 2-3 products plus a leave-in.

Like you, I wash once a week. I have found that one thing that's really key to keeping the tangles out... is making sure I get rid of all of the shed hairs when I comb.

Poohbear

Browndilocks said:
If leKair is not her friend then why is she using it? hummmm? lol
I haven't been using it! I'm thinking about giving it another try. Instead of leaving it in my hair for a long time, I just wanna see how it does if I use it to help detangle sections of my hair in the shower! ;)

Poohbear

Browndilocks said:
I'll start with your once a month routine:

The clarifying & protein sounds great. My problem is with the EQP mango butter. Yes, it's fluffy & smells great, but it is not a conditioner, perse. It's a finishing cream and should be used as such, not taking the place of a moisturizing conditioner - especially after a protein treatment. So actually, I would add a step there by using a moisturizing conditioner - after the protein but before the mango butter.
Oh okay! Thanks for elaborating. The reason why I have EQP Mango Butter after the EQP Breakage Control Serum is because on the directions for the EQP BCS, it says to apply Mango Butter after using EQP BCS. Plus, it acutally says Elasta QP mango butter is an intensive treatment to prevent breakage and dryness.

Weekly routine:
Now that I'm reading it again and visualizing, it does sound ok. I just wouldn't try to detangle 100% dry natural hair. I'd use water or a watery leave in to dampen my hair first.
I don't plan on detangling 100% on dry hair. ;) I know that would be a definite NO NO... Just lightly comb it where it's not tangled up before I wash my hair. ;)

Last edited:

Poohbear

vangrey said:
that is alot of work... but as long as you can be consistent.
here are some of my suggestions:
i suggest wetting your hair thoroughly first then apply a detangling conditioner like ddta or vo5. detangling dry hair is a no-no in my book. it causes breakage. also, i wouldn't do a hot oil treatment on dry hair, when i did my hair like that i got a lot of shedding. :ohwell: lastly, i dont think its necessarily to wash your hair in sections.... but thats my opinion.
I'm not really doing a full blown detangling on my dry hair. I will just comb my hair to make sure it's not tangled before I wash it. ;)

I mentioned doing a hot oil treatment on dry hair because I've always done it on damp/wet hair. Some ladies here have mentioned how doing a pre-poo treatment on damp/wet hair was the reason why they had so many tangles/knots/matted hair when they washed. I'm just gonna try it and see if it works for me. So that's basically an experimental step.

And about washing my hair in sections... when I wash with my hair all smooth back, my new growth tangles/matts together with my relaxed hair (I'm transitioning). I have never washed my hair in sections before and I see the benefit of doing this in order to avoid tangles/knots/matted hair/breakage/excessive sheddding. This is also something I'm going to test and see.

Poohbear

vikkisecret said:
Alright we know that Lekair Cholestoral is not Poohbear's friend but what about Elasta DPR-11? Your hair seems to do well with thier products so there's a better chance you'll see much better improvement and less breakage or shedding during detangling. Would you be willing to try Nexxus Emergencee;) .It has been a godsend for me and my hair after years of abusing it w/ heat and overlapping unnecessary relaxers.:D

Elasta DPR-11 has been on my "Products To Try" List. :grin: Right now, I'm trying not to be a product junkie and want to use up the products I have. But I might go ahead and buy the Elasta DPR-11 in the near future.

And sorry but Nexxus is just a little too pricey for me. ;)

Bmm

I don't plan on detangling 100% on dry hair. ;) I know that would be a definite NO NO... Just lightly comb it where it's not tangled up before I wash my hair. ;)[/QUOTE]

I agree with this...why not comb thru hair before you start washing it, and all. Wouldnt that get rid of what hair is shedding? :confused:

Healthb4Length

Poohbear said:
Once a week...
1. Detangle and put hair into 4-6 large braids while dry.
2. Pre-poo treatment for 30-45 mins with oil concoction: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Hot 6 Oil, WGHO, & Motions Salon Herbals Oil Sheen
3. In the shower, shampoo each braid one at a time with Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
4. Unloosen each section one at a time, place LeKair Cholesterol Plus on hair, detangle with Jilbere Shower Comb, rinse, braid the section back up, proceed the same way with other sections of hair
5. Out of the shower, moisturize each section with ElastaQP Penetrating Moisturizer
6. Unbraid the sections and smooth hair into a ponytail combing out each section one at a time with K-Cutter Comb or regular wide tooth comb
7. On the length of ponytail, use spray concoction: Suave Humectant, Motions Nourish, S-Curl, oil mixture & water.
8. Twist hair around into a bun and cover with a stocking cap. Wear phony-pony over it if I have to go out somewhere.
9. During the week, use ElastaQP Penetrating Moisturizer and Citre Shine Gel on my edges (hair exposed to air) and use spray concoction on the hair that's twisted into a bun (not exposed to air). If there are frizzes, use Anne 100% pure boar bristle brush to smooth.

Once a month...
1. Clarify with Elasta QP Bodifying Shampoo
2. Protein Treatment with Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum for 15-30 mins
3. Moisturize with Elasta QP Mango Butter

Other hair styles I may wear instead of the BUN:
*Put several braids/twists in hair and either wear my hair: (a) blowdried straight (check out the entry below on my blowdrying technique) or (b) updo style
*Cornrows
*Wig

Nightly Upkeep:
If blowdried straight: apply oil mixture, either wrap it, put a few rollers in it, or wear it loose with a satin bonnet over it
Any other style: moisturize, wear a bun or a few braids/twists, then tied with a scarf

Pooh, I think your plan is really good! I would add more protein to the regime tho and believe me heat definately makes a difference when you do the deep treatment. You don't have to all out invest in a dome dryer, there are plenty of alternatives; like wrapping a warm towel around your plastic cap or using a hand held dryer to get the heat you need. Judging from the shedding you had before I think that you need to do more protein treatments with heat for 20-40 minute increments until you build your hair back up. I also think you may want to invest in a micro-fiber towel or an aquis towel--I just invested ($10) for one and it makes such a difference! It really soaks up the water from my thick hair in 3-5 minutes without roughing up the cuticle or tearing out my hair! Totally worth it--Thanks Ajamericandiva! You can get them at Marshall's. I was not a fan of Lekair either, it did nothing for my hair-until I mixed it with my motions silk protein conditioner-:eek: wow great slip:D and easy to detangle hair! BTW you can also use the mango butter on your edges--it makes my hair really soft and shiny and frizz-free. I also think that you may want to consider doing co-washes, they really help alot. I'm not transitioning but I only get texturizers like 2 times a year so I'm familiar with the transitioning process. When I do co-washes 2x a week they really help cut down on the naughty knots, I hope this makes sense but I combat the naps by constantly doing co-washes it makes life so easy for me. I believe you were not too fond of co-washes or frequent washing because you don't like too much manipulation...I think if you do co-washes like once a week they really will help you with your transition process. I personally like suave naturals coconut conditioner...the humectant line is good also and the price is great! As for a good deep conditioner, I think that you should try UBH's protein conditioner it's really good...but if you can't afford it I think the recipe is on this board. Good luck!:)

www.fotki.com/nubian7
Password:hair

Poohbear

Bmm said:
I agree with this...why not comb thru hair before you start washing it, and all. Wouldnt that get rid of what hair is shedding? :confused:
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about when I say "detangle before I wash my hair." ;) The quote that you quoted in your post was what I said in reply to someone else!!! :lol:

Last edited:

Poohbear

ThursdayGirl said:
I kinda agree with Browndilocks. My first thought is ...wow this is a lot of products and a lot of manipulation. I don't know about you... but my hair straight up revolts if I use too many products and my scalp starts hurting if I try to comb it too much dry.

I like that you are going back to washing once a week and that you are not really manipulating your hair until the next wash. That's what I do and I have found it helps alot.

My routine is something like this:

Preparation: I comb out the relaxed ends then... split hair into quadrants and secure each with a braid.

Prepoo-suave biobasics with honey applied like you would a relaxer except I do go to the ends too..(this does a great job of starting the detangling process by softening the hair and giving elasticity. I read you want to do an oil-based pre-poo... my only issue with this is that oils tend to lock in moisture... I don't find that they moisturize my hair very much...except Shea butter...but I wouldn't recommend that as a pre-poo)

Wash/deep condition-if I co wash, I use Suave Humectant (sometimes tropical coconut)...usually rinsing out the prepoo is good enough, though...so, I just put some AO GPB in my hair and sit under the dryer for 20-30- then rinse out and detangle under the water stream of the shower.

Post-wash: add NTM silk leave-in to each section and do the final detangle.

if its late... I'll sit under the dryer for 15 minutes to dry the roots a bit and then hit the ends with my ionic hair dryer-then braid it up for the night.

if its not too late... I'll braid it wet/damp and let it airdry.

I think I use a total of 2-3 products plus a leave-in.

Like you, I wash once a week. I have found that one thing that's really key to keeping the tangles out... is making sure I get rid of all of the shed hairs when I comb.
I'm actually putting 2-3 products my hair after I wash and condition as well.

One product is the ElastaQP Penetrating Moisturizer and the other product is a concoction (mixture) of products... Is the concoction of products considered more than one product or something???:confused:

Poohbear

Alli77 said:
Pooh, I think your plan is really good! I would add more protein to the regime tho and believe me heat definately makes a difference when you do the deep treatment. You don't have to all out invest in a dome dryer, there are plenty of alternatives; like wrapping a warm towel around your plastic cap or using a hand held dryer to get the heat you need. Judging from the shedding you had before I think that you need to do more protein treatments with heat for 20-40 minute increments until you build your hair back up. I also think you may want to invest in a micro-fiber towel or an aquis towel--I just invested ($10) for one and it makes such a difference! It really soaks up the water from my thick hair in 3-5 minutes without roughing up the cuticle or tearing out my hair! Totally worth it--Thanks Ajamericandiva! You can get them at Marshall's.
I have a hooded hair dryer. ;) So do protein treatments help with shedding too??? :confused:
I was not a fan of Lekair either, it did nothing for my hair-until I mixed it with my motions silk protein conditioner-:eek: wow great slip:D and easy to detangle hair! BTW you can also use the mango butter on your edges--it makes my hair really soft and shiny and frizz-free. I also think that you may want to consider doing co-washes, they really help alot. I'm not transitioning but I only get texturizers like 2 times a year so I'm familiar with the transitioning process. When I do co-washes 2x a week they really help cut down on the naughty knots, I hope this makes sense but I combat the naps by constantly doing co-washes it makes life so easy for me. I believe you were not too fond of co-washes or frequent washing because you don't like too much manipulation...I think if you do co-washes like once a week they really will help you with your transition process. I personally like suave naturals coconut conditioner...the humectant line is good also and the price is great! As for a good deep conditioner, I think that you should try UBH's protein conditioner it's really good...but if you can't afford it I think the recipe is on this board. Good luck!:)
When you have a lot of new growth and you do conditioner washes twice a week, do you conditioner wash your hair in sections or all smooth back??? Also, how do you style your hair after washing it???

Poohbear

vangrey said:
lastly, i dont think its necessarily to wash your hair in sections.... but thats my opinion.
You know what? I just experimented with this tonight and I think I will avoid much breakage and shedding if I just shampoo and condition my hair in the shower all smooth back without detangling. I'll just wait to detangle in small sections at a time while my hair is dripping wet and then smooth it into a bun. Thanks for the tip! ;)