How does your stylist comb thru your wet hair?

kls4c03

My stylist conditions my hair, pulls my hair to the top of my head and places me under the dryer for 15-20 minutes. After she rinses out the conditioner, she applies wrap lotion or whatever then, she combs my hair with a small tooth comb. When I see the hair in the comb, it looks like my hair has been pulled out of my head and quite a bit comes out although I'm not sure how much because she will pull it off of the comb and keep going. Lately, my hair is hard to detangle. It hasn't always been like this.

I use Keracare/Affirm (avalon) products. I'm wondering if she should be
1. combing thru my hair with a wide tooth comb while the conditioner is in it.
2. Not pulling my hair to the top.

smuice

kls4c03 said:
My stylist conditions my hair, pulls my hair to the top of my head and places me under the dryer for 15-20 minutes. After she rinses out the conditioner, she applies wrap lotion or whatever then, she combs my hair with a small tooth comb. When I see the hair in the comb, it looks like my hair has been pulled out of my head and quite a bit comes out although I'm not sure how much because she will pull it off of the comb and keep going. Lately, my hair is hard to detangle. It hasn't always been like this.

I use Keracare/Affirm (avalon) products. I'm wondering if she should be
1. combing thru my hair with a wide tooth comb while the conditioner is in it.
2. Not pulling my hair to the top.

Hey,

I stopped going to stylists? for this very reason, I take control of my own hair and I never really see hair in my WIDE tooth comb! (when I xomb my hair-not often either) Why don't you tell her to not use the small teeth comb and bring your own in? As for piling your hair on your head, will that not facilitate in itself tangles?? Use the advice on here girl, and stop losing your healthy hair:D unnecessarily, at the hands of ill-informed stylists:ohwell:

deejoy

The last stylist I went to used a wide tooth comb. I ended my relationship with one stylist in the past because her assistant used a fine tooth comb on my wet wrap and pulled a great deal of hair out. I'd be bald if I continued to go there. I would speak up if you want to save your hair.

Candy_C

my relaxer lady combs my hair wet.
so that 4x a year a comb touches my wet hair..

she HAS TO use my comb though, and she has to take her time

lizjoseph

When I go to the salon, which isn't often, they comb my hair as they are rinsing out the conditoner. I'm not sure what comb they use since I can't see behind me..LOL..but I never feel my hair being ripped out, so I'm guessing they use a wide tooth. I thought that was the "normal" way to comb through wet hair? Other than when you are about to rollerset which is when they take out the fine tooth.

GoldenBreeze

I don't go to a stylist. My wet hair is combed with a WIDE toothed comb. My hair is natural, and a fine toothed comb would not be able to comb through it when it's wet.

kls4c03

smuice said:
Hey,

I stopped going to stylists? for this very reason, I take control of my own hair and I never really see hair in my WIDE tooth comb! (when I xomb my hair-not often either) Why don't you tell her to not use the small teeth comb and bring your own in? As for piling your hair on your head, will that not facilitate in itself tangles?? Use the advice on here girl, and stop losing your healthy hair:D unnecessarily, at the hands of ill-informed stylists:ohwell:

Well I just came back from the salon. I asked about using a wide tooth comb. She started using one and then said that because my hair is so fine the smaller one works better and switched to using that. I'm not sure how much of my hair came out. But it has been coming out and is thinning out all over, including the crown and my edges for a few months.

Good for you, doing your own thing...

deejoy

kls4c03 said:
Well I just came back from the salon. I asked about using a wide tooth comb. She started using one and then said that because my hair is so fine the smaller one works better and switched to using that. I'm not sure how much of my hair came out. But it has been coming out and is thinning out all over, including the crown and my edges for a few months.

Good for you, doing your own thing...

My hair is fine too and it doesnt work better. Why would she switch back to a fine tooth comb when you asked her about using a wide tooth one?

asubeauty

deejoy said:
My hair is fine too and it doesnt work better. Why would she switch back to a fine tooth comb when you asked her about using a wide tooth one?

I agree. My hair is fine too, and I only use a fine toothed comb to rollerset and smooth my edges (because I don't brush them anymore).

Just reading that made me :mad:

SvelteVelvet

My ex-stylist was using a rattail to comb through my relaxer the last time i went to her. I have a thick head of hair and it was super thick before she gave me my touch-up. My hair isn't thin but it definately isn't as thick as it use to be from that visit, she def. thinned it out doing that. I don't remember her doing that the first time. Get's me mad when I think about it :mad: but yeah, alot of those knuckleheads use rattails when they shouldn't.

kls4c03

I had an appointment today but I cancelled my appointment. I normally get my hair done every week. My hair has thinned out quite a bit all along my hairline in the front. I had already went to the doctor to rule out any health condition and I'm good. Thanks for the moral support.

If you can go to the doctor to treat a condition, shouldn't you be able to find a stylist who can treat your hair according to you? It doesn't seem that way.

I've decided to switch stylists to someone who is trained in healthy hair care. She was already booked two weeks out. I guess that's a good sign. It will be more expensive but worth it later.