Rat Tail comb thru dry hair??

slender1

Ladies,

I needed a trim and went to a stylist...Well she used a rattail comb, mind you my hair is dry.then made a comment that my hair is shedding.

I told her I only comb my hair 1x a week, on wash day.

She said you need to comb it everyday to AVOID breakage:confused:

My thought is if you comb thru anybodys hair who isnt thin with a small toothed comb of course hair is going to break..(uneccessary manipulation)

Your thoughts please...

dannie

Rat Tail comb thru dry hair...

Is the perfect way to jack up your hair.

WTF????

I got pissed just reading about it :mad:

Divine Inspiration

More support for why I do everything myself...

I think your intuition tells you that running a rattail comb through dry hair is detrimental, and you are correct.

I agree with Jazzy; find a new stylist or learn to do things yourself...you'll be better off. :)

deltagyrl

(eye roll)
I had a similar experience at my last relaxer. After a three month stretch her assistant was combing through my hair with a comb (that may have been a rattail) WITHOUT using any detangler. I spoke up and made her switch combs and use some freakin' detangler......... kick her to the curb, girl!

BrownSkin2

I had a similar experience while getting some cornrows last week. This stylist first attempted to blow dry my dry hair on a high settings, in which I stopped her, then she began combing with a rat tail comb. I asked her to use a bigger comb and to dampen my hair, then she can comb it easier. She was reluctant but did it. Then she began braiding waay too tight, and at that moment I just told her I changed my mind. She was like :eek: . I told her I don't ususally treat my hair like that and politely left. It was obvious she knew nothing about hair care.

locabouthair

people used to do the same thing to me. mind you i was natural with coarse 4b hair and were using a comb with little teeth. then they would be like you hair is nappy:ohwell:

deontaer

That's why I stopped going to a stylist to get my hair done. Most of them don't give YOUR individual hair the right attention it deserves and treat everyone's hair the same way regardless of it's texture. A rat tail comb??? Why would anyone use a rat tail comb on your hair whether it was wet or dry, it's just too damn small! I think alot of these stylists are jealous of their clients hair and focus more on style than health.

I learned that the hard way when I started going to a stylist in '99 and my hair was already bra strap length - she had a shoulder length bob, to her hair being to the middle of her back by the time I stopped going last year, and my hair was still at the same place 6 years later:confused::mad:

deltagyrl

deontaer said:
I think alot of these stylists are jealous of their clients hair and focus more on style than health.

Say it, say it, SAY it!! I'm so glad that I only see my stylist every 3 or 4 months.

favorc

i don't let anybody come towards my hair with a rat tail tooth comb.:nono: that is one of my reason for not going to stylist anymore. My hair is very thick and they loved to try to run that comb through my hair and say the same thing about shedding. Girl don't u let them do it anymore. My thing is if u want your hair to be thin just comb through your hair with ome of them. :lachen:

MochaSilk

BrownSkin2 said:
I had a similar experience while getting some cornrows last week. This stylist first attempted to blow dry my dry hair on a high settings, in which I stopped her, then she began combing with a rat tail comb. I asked her to use a bigger comb and to dampen my hair, then she can comb it easier. She was reluctant but did it. Then she began braiding waay too tight, and at that moment I just told her I changed my mind. She was like :eek: . I told her I don't ususally treat my hair like that and politely left. It was obvious she knew nothing about hair care.

Way to go!!!! I love hearing stories about people stopping hairstylists from mistreating their hair!

Wishin4BSL

That is BS! I used to comb and wrap my hair with a rat tail comb when I was in high school and it thinned terribly! I didn't even know that was why! All I know is that once I went to college, I lost my favorite rat tail comb and started using a comb with teeth a little smaller than the Jilbere shower comb. Ever since then, my hair has been getting thicker and I honestly never noticed until recently!

CAPlush

I've been through this too. The last time I went for a relaxer, I swear the stylist was comb-happy. She just combed and combed and combed. My hair was freshly relaxed, and I didn't see any hair in the comb, but still it was totally unnecessary. She rolled her eyes when I asked her to use a bigger comb.

mermaid

I use a rat tail comb when I flat iron, but my hair has been detangled, dried, sectioned, coated with a heat protectant that also provides some slip and went over with a wider spaced comb.

deejoy

Run for the hills. My last salon did that to me and it was the damn shampoo girl at that. Nearly took out every lick of hair on my head. Rat tail combs shouldnt be used wet or dry.

taraglam2

Rat Tail comb thru dry hair = PROBLEMS ! Like the others have mentioned---never go to her again. She is probably sooo comfortable with using a rat tail comb that she sees nothing wrong with it.

I was going to a hairdresser (prior to hairboards) and she always pulled out a Rat Tail comb or a fine toothed comb to do hair. Now that I think about it I do not think I ever saw her use a Shower Comb or wide toothed comb! Needless to say my hair was jacked up after going to her for a while and my hair always shedded---everyday all day--even on salon day !!!!!!!!