How fluffy are you?

AfroKink

I've *finally* made my first YouTube video public! Watch it and tell me what you think. Subscribe, comment, vote and all that good stuff. Also, if you make youtube videos let me know so I can subscribe to your channel :)
YouTube - How fluffy are you?

Afro

Neith

Aw, you're adorable :)

I've been thinking about how to fluff my hair to the max without a comb (like in my siggy). I'll try it your way one of these days.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Your hair acts just like mine and we're about the same length. Subscribing!
ETA I normally do my fluffing with a pick. I may try fluffing with my fingers to see how it comes out

Last edited:

Chocolatelove2010

You have a beautiful face, and you seem real adorable. So please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way.

........I'm just thinking........ how to say this in the nicest way possible. :think:

Please do another style. One which involves a comb. :look:

I mean that with love. Seriously.

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE
OP you have one of the prettiest, sweetest faces ever.

@Chocolatelove2010 I love you and your posts like cook food but this one is not sitting right. It's the bringing up the necessity of a comb in the OP's life. A lot of people don't use combs, and while some of us may or may not like this style, you didn't really give constructive criticism. I know you don't mean it to seem like that though.

Last edited:

Chocolatelove2010

OP you have one of the prettiest, sweetest faces ever.

@Chocolatelove2010 I love you and your posts like cook food but this one is not sitting right. It's the bringing up the necessity of a comb in the OP's life. A lot of people don't use combs, and while some of us may or may not like this style, you didn't really give constructive criticism. I know you don't mean it to seem like that though.

I thought me saying use a comb was constructive criticism.

I apologize to the OP if I came across rude. I still think she's stunning.

The hair just seemed out of place to me.

But who cares.. if you like it, you like it. I'd just honestly be shocked if I saw that on road.

Eritreladiee

Just watched your vid :)
Ditto on your cuteness! And flawless skin!
Have you ever tried an afro pick to blend the lines from your twists? I find that it helps maintain the crimps in my braidouts (my hair cant hold twists :() If you wanna try it out, just lift the afro pick an inch away from your scalp.
Hope to see more vids from you.
For some reason when I hit subscribe it keeps saying the functionality isn't available right now... I'll try back later :)

SimJam

I loved the vid and ur voice has a nice tone to it.
Which video editing did u use or do u had a Mac? I hate windows stock editing programme.

I normally just separate each twist into smaller sections to get a more uniorm shaped fro, if thats what ur going for.

andromeda

I liked the video! :yep: You have good on-screen presence.

I was going to suggest that the intro be tightened up for future vids, as it seemed a little long, but I watched it again and it's fine.

I like the concept of the style that you were going for and I like that "no pick was needed" for but the result seemed a little off. Perhaps you can experiment with different techniques to achieve the fluffy fro (along the lines of simjam's suggestion or even a twisted bantu-knotted curly fro?) and redo the video? [/constructive criticism]

Otherwise, good narration/instruction, music and editing. I like that you included stills of the finished style and that you obviously put thought and creativity into the pics! :yep:

You have beautiful hair and I'm definitely looking forward to more of your videos!

Nonie

OK, first of all, you are so adorable. I'm loving the presentation so much that I couldn't contain my excitement and had to pause the vid to come and tell you that you have me cheesing like crazy. I've only watched a minute of it and I'm beside myself. LOVE LOVE LOVE

OK, let me calm down and go finish washing and then I'll be back to tell you if I changed my mind by the time I got to the end and decided it actually sucks. :lol:

ETA: OK, just finished watching. I am not a fan of chunky afros (I love combed out afros) but I hafta say as much as I FF youtube vids, especially if I am not planning on creating the same style or just because I want to see the end results, I found myself not wanting to FF yours. I sat through it because something about it made it enjoyable.

I loved how clean and clear it was, and your pretty face kept me smiling. Your hair looked just so healthy and I'm tickled by how much it's grown. Thanks for making the vid. Looking forward to more.

Last edited:

Freespirit02

Awww that was cute! hehe. I was sitting here thinking if I ever go some where edgy or like artistic..I would rock that. The only suggestion i have is, shorter intro. OH I think it would extra cute if you put some accessories.

janda

You are absolutely beautiful and have a great voice. My only suggestion is to significantly shorten your intro.

Newtogrow

I think if you did more twists it may have looked more defined. Is your hair cut? I couldn't wear an afro until I had my hair shaped. The video style reminds me of Kimmaytube.

Nonie

Newtogrow What do you mean "shaped"? I think a lot of people imagine that everyone wants to wear their hair in the Miss Jessie's triangular cut, but for someone like me I prefer that all my strands to be the same length so that I can get a perfect dome afro should I choose to wear one.

I think people with more floppy hair might appreciate that sort of cut but if you have hair like mine, I think it'd limit your styling option because the only time that would work for me is if I always wanted to wear my hair in a twist-out or braid-out, or always hanging plaits/twists. That cut would kinda ruin any plans of having a pony on my crown since the hair in the back would be much shorter than that in the crown so I'd not get the round large puff I'd want on my crown. Not sure if I'm making myself clear.

AfroKink

You have a beautiful face, and you seem real adorable. So please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way.

........I'm just thinking........ how to say this in the nicest way possible. :think:

What would a comb do?

Have you ever tried an afro pick to blend the lines from your twists? I find that it helps maintain the crimps in my braidouts (my hair cant hold twists :() If you wanna try it out, just lift the afro pick an inch away from your scalp.
For some reason when I hit subscribe it keeps saying the functionality isn't available right now... I'll try back later :)

I'll have to thank Mac and Sephora for the flawless skin look.
I have tried afro picks, but not in recent times. I'll have to take your suggestion and try it out!:yep:

I likes :) How long have you been natural??
Since 2003 I believe. But I didn't start taking care of my hair until much later. I bought my first bottle of conditioner in 2006:blush:

Which video editing did u use or do u had a Mac? I hate windows stock editing programme.

I normally just separate each twist into smaller sections to get a more uniorm shaped fro, if thats what ur going for.

I have a Mac. I used iMovie. I was going for a fun chunky fluffly fro. But I will be showcasing a more uniform fro in the future.

I think if you did more twists it may have looked more defined. Is your hair cut? I couldn't wear an afro until I had my hair shaped. The video style reminds me of Kimmaytube.
What do you mean by cut?

AfroKink

I likes :) How long have you been natural??

I liked the video! :yep: You have good on-screen presence.

I was going to suggest that the intro be tightened up for future vids, as it seemed a little long, but I watched it again and it's fine.

I like the concept of the style that you were going for and I like that "no pick was needed" for but the result seemed a little off. Perhaps you can experiment with different techniques to achieve the fluffy fro (along the lines of simjam's suggestion or even a twisted bantu-knotted curly fro?) and redo the video? [/constructive criticism]

Otherwise, good narration/instruction, music and editing. I like that you included stills of the finished style and that you obviously put thought and creativity into the pics! :yep:

You have beautiful hair and I'm definitely looking forward to more of your videos!

I too think the intro was long, I shortened it on video #2. I wanted to put out video #2 at the same time but when I went to edit I found that i had a big greasy finger print on the camera lens that ruined everything.:sad: So I'll have to redo it later this week. I *almost* did a bantu-knot out curly fro instead of this one. It's one of my very favorite afros to do so you will definitely be seeing it.

Thanks everyone on the feedback and comments!

Newtogrow

Afrokink and Nonie, when i mentioned cut~yes maybe a Miss Jessie's Angle balanced cut or blunt cut for a defined look. But if that was the look Afrokink was going for~cool! Too each is own, my hair used to come out looking like the Afrokink afro before I had my hair shaped in a layered cut. But I also had my hair cut because it grew so unevenly and my twists would always have long stray hairs at the ends because of the uneveness, which kept my hands in my hair.

AfroKink

Afrokink and Nonie, when i mentioned cut~yes maybe a Miss Jessie's Angle balanced cut or blunt cut for a defined look. But if that was the look Afrokink was going for~cool! Too each is own, my hair used to come out looking like the Afrokink afro before I had my hair shaped in a layered cut. But I also had my hair cut because it grew so unevenly and my twists would always have long stray hairs at the ends because of the uneveness, which kept my hands in my hair.

I checked out the pics on the Miss Jessie website and the angle balanced cut (with or without a silkener/shingling) looks like it's more for hangdown hair. I don't have hangdown hair and I *rarely* put my hair in styles that make it hang down.

But to answer your question, I guess my hair is "cut". My nape and the edges around my ear are almost APL, while my crown is just past chin length, and the rest of my hair is somewhere in between.

Nonie

@Newtogrow If you remind me the day I wear my hair out (coz I'll be sure to post), I will create a chunky afro with my "uncut" hair. The good thing with fluffy hair is you can pat it into shape. And if all the strands are the same length (my preference) then no patting will be necessary because they will all be wavy and ending at the same height so you can end up with a dome shape. If that's not the look you wanted, you can pat the areas you want to appear shorter and you have that look.

Maybe one day when my puff is on its last legs I'll start to use it to demonstrate some of the things I say. 4B hair is so versatile that you don't need to cut it to make it look a certan way. When the Carl Lewis box cut was in (or was that just in my neighborhood? :look: Y'all gonn' act like you didn't wear it? :lol: ), and both girls and boys were sporting it, I never got my sides cut short. My hair was all round like a Bernic Mac afro but I would just pat the sides down more while my hair was damp and I'd end up looking as it my hair was shorter on the sides.

Wait, when you say blunt cut, what do you mean? I'm not trying to be difficult, I do get why relaxed hair would do well with a blunt cut: so all the hair falls to the same level. I get that blunt cut. But considering 4B hair kinda curls back on itself and doesn't fall/flop...by blunt do you mean even all strands out so they end at the same level? I'm feeling so dumb now. :wallbash: Please 'splain. :(

Last edited: