How long can you/have you gone without a trim?

MsAtlanta2009

I havent trimmed in a month.:lachen: My hair is definitely retaining its length and my stylist was amazed to see that I still had no split ends.:perplexed I stopped allowing her to trim because I noticed her trims were more like cuts. An inch or more each visit and I wondered why my hair wasn't getting very long.

How long have you gone and still saw results in hair growth and retention?

CurlTalk

I haven't had a trim since early last year. My ends are perfectly fine: I have no splits or anything, I'm retaining perfectly well, and I have no issue with ragged-ness or dryness, so I'm guessing they're fine.

MsAtlanta2009

I wonder why people try to convince you that if you don't trim regularly your hair won't grow? My stylists have always told me that.

onejamifan

I went 14 months without a trim and had no issues. I then cut because hair was getting too long and have not had a pair of scissors near my head since May of last year. Don't have any plans of cutting until July of this year.

BlackMasterPiece

I've gone two years without trimming at all :giggle: and I actually still retained length.....but I've now decided to do S&D's every two months and to teach myself how to a self-trim which I plan to do once a year.

My last trim was January and my ends are doing spectacular...it helps that its away in crochet braids and not exposed at all.

Last edited:

dachsies_rule!

It's been over a year since i've had a trim. I'm going to wait until i reach my goal and trim back as i grow past it, per Chicoro. :grin:

Esq.2B

2.5 years and when I finally got a trim I lost 2 inches which wasn't so bad, considering. At this point, I'm 7 months post my last trim in August.

I usually get trimmed with every relaxer (3-4 months); but, I'm contemplating changing. Maybe I'll skip the trimming at my next relaxer and do it during my last relaxer of this year (which would be 8 months).

LatterGlory

I think 3 years was the max ( after a bad episode with a hair dresser).

Presently it has been 8 months and all I do now is S&D and my ends seem to be in great shape.

nymane

One year...I dust in between (every 4 months), I don't use direct heat, I M&S my ends daily, and I keep them protected. It works for me :yep:

IrisDaVirus

It's been about eight months for me. I haven't had any issues since I went back to DC's and using olive oil and coconut oil to combat dryness.

Last edited:

GreenD

I haven't trimmed in a year, but I'll search and destroy every now and then. I'm interested in seeing how long I can go before I do need a trim. Maybe my 2 year mark, IDK.

Aria-Selene

It's been a year since my last trim. I usually keep my hair in a bun since I am transitioning, so it isn't really needing one. I don't plan on getting it done until October when I cut the relaxed ends off.

merilusmims

About 4 mths my last trim was in december thats the longest ive ever gone and my ends are fine so im going to try to make it last

buddhas_mom

It's been a year since my last trim and somehow I retained length. I plan on trimming after my next relaxer. I miss my blunt ends and I think I retain better when I trim regularly. So I'm going back to my 1/4 inch trims every 3-4 months.

Nayeli

This is the longest I've gone without a trim. I think the last time I trimmed was around the middle of last year. My hair's coping. I'll probably trim when I relax in May.

4evershika

My last trim was this time last year... I'm going to get a trim today. I neeeed it because my hair doesn't behave and fall the way I want it to and I'm pretty sure it's b/c I need a trim.

growinstrong

My last trim was in August 1, 2009, so almost 8 months. I plan to trim again in May, but if the ends are not looking that bad, I will trim in October for my birthday :grin:. My trim schedule will remain at 1-2 trims per year :yep:.

hothair

Right now 11months. I promised myself I would keep the scissors out of my hair for a whole year and its made a huge difference in my retention as I usually get quite scissor happy once I start:look: I'm hoping now I would think hard about cutting too much into my progress but we'll see:spinning: