How long did it take for your edges to fill in completely?

How long did it take for your edges to fill in completely?

• Total voters

betty-boo

I am tired of waiting for my edges to fill in completely! I've been applying shealoe butter mixed with oils (emu, vitamin e, rosemary, sage) and sulphur to them twice a day mostly and i haven't been using a brush on them (well, hardly) and have been stretching.
Now while there is a lot of growth in some areas, I still have patches where there is hardly anything!!

I want it all to be filled in completely! I started doing all this since May 2006 and its now December (roughly 7 months):eek: . Maybe I'm being impatient. So,

How long did it take you to have all your edges filled in?

What did you do/not do that helped this?

What products did you use and recommend?

Thanks ladies, I'm just a bit discouraged.

slender1

My edges have went from zilch to more than half with a bit of sparseness in 5 months. Here is what I did
Viviscal-2xs a day
Nioxin-2xs a day
Carrot Juice 8oz-1ce a day
S-curl-1-2xs a day
Massage CASTOR OILor WGO after S-curl.

My regime is a bit costly but its working. My eyebrows have never been more beautiful either. You may be having enternal problems which are prohibiting your growth.

Thats why I take supplements. I believe I had follicle damage due to braids and improper use of adhesives for lf's. Overall my sides have done a 360. Hope this helps, however I really SUGGEST you take some kind of supplement.

Cayenne0622

I really hope there are some responses to this thread because I'd like to know too. I've always struggled with retaining length on my edges and around my front hairline. I just started treating my edges better when I started the forum in July 06 and I don't see any improvements yet either. I was leaving my relaxer on my edges for too long and I was using gel with alcohol and hairspray on them prior to July. I stopped all of those practices and my hair is still broken and fine around the eges.

Help us out ladies. I know some of you have had good results from babying your edges.

betty-boo

Thanks Slender1! I think what you say is so true. I plucked my eyebrows last year and for the first time, a tiny area of it took ages to come back! As for braids, I will never go back to braids. I didn't know how to care for it.

Yes Cayenne, I hope there are more responses. Its good to know whether my edges are taking an obscenely long time to come back because of things I'm doing or not doing, or whether I'm on the right track.

BrooklynSouth

My edges near temple, my nape are finally growing well. I realized at some lightbulb moment a few weeks ago that the ends of my hair were totally break and split free with minimal combing strands removed. The edges and nape were still beadybead until it occurred:scratchch to me that those short edges had/were actually ends of their own; so I began treating them to drowning moisture,SURGE 14 and sealing oils. Voila...the edges began to grow and uncurl from the knotty, tangled beads.Resolved to myself that scalp and hair health is more vital than hair length...increasing length is a wonderful, surprising bonus. LHCF members, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
How long did it take you to have all your edges filled in?
About 4 months

What did you do/not do that helped this?
Stopped tying my scarf so tight, threw away my brush, stopped pulling it back, and concentrating on the area when deep conditioning

What products did you use and recommend?
ORS Temple Balm and Carrot Oil

Radianthealth

I am still growing my edges back. It took about 2 months for them to start looking kind of normal. I think it will take 12 months to get them looking thick and full.

BAP28

DR. MIRACLES TEMPLE BALM..

GURRLLL HAVE YOU TRIED THAT...

MY EDGES WERE SLIGHTLY DAMAGED DUE ALL THE COLORING I DO.. BUT W/ DR. MIRACLES.. THEY GREW BACK IN ABOUT 2 MONTHS...SO..ITS DEF A STAPLE I KEEP ON HAND...

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I got 3 products that helped me. MTG, castor oil, and the Dr. Miracle's temple balm. In one month and a half, my edges and nape went from bald to 3". :D My stylist was amazed.:lol:

betty-boo

Thanks so much for all your responses so far. I do tend to get a lot of knots along my temple area but for some reason I never took them seriously (I'd just rip them out :eek: - sorry, so sorry to say that on LHCF!! I'm wincing, just thinking about it).

I've heard so much about Castor oil and Surge. This Dr Miracles Balm - does anyone know off hand what the ingredients are?
It seems very tempting and if the results from using this are quicker.....maybe this is what my hair lacked!!!

baby42

i am still fighting them they just got some fuzz:lol: :lol: :lol: but i am sending for some new stuff hope that help :confused: this the first time my edges ever left when i look one side was gone:eek: and the other side was trying its best to leave

Last edited:

pinkdot's blog

I just trimmed my edges. I figured my edges can have split ends to. I sleep in a plastic cap every night now. I think I was tying my scarf too tight and I was cutting off most of the circulation to my temples. :( It feels so much better when I sleep now. :p I use MTG every night. Its to early for me to tell but I did take beginning pictures I will check my progress in a few months.

Bellavita6

My edges were thinning out due to overprocessing and pp shedding. I started using nexxus vitatress biotin creme and BT. They filled in nicely in about 4-5 months. I also started relaxing my edges and nape every other relaxer.

bravenewgirl87

low manipulation styles help. I do braidouts every week, but that constant pulling is rough on your edges. But, i started using Lenzi's Request... filled them RIGHT up in, maybe 2 or 3 weeks. I started noticing a difference right away... Next thing i knew they were completely filled. The look great now... i have my widows peak.

hothair

6-10 months for me! it was from a very cute ghana braid which i left too long. I think it took that long cause i started messing with it before it came back to normal and i just had to take some braid out 2 days ago cause it was pulling on my right side:ohwell: BTW Africa's Best Hair Fertiliser grew it in but my sulphur mix filled it in thickly.