How long did it take for your hair in its curly state to...

washize

reach apl or Bsl? My hair is full Apl when I stretch it, but curly it is neck/chin length. I love my curly hair :yep:, but I want people to see how long it really is as it gets longer, but I'm not ready to manipulate it untill next year.

How long did it take you naturals for your curly hair to reach apl or bsl without being stretched? IS there something you can do to make it look longer?

Last edited:

msa

I just wanted to say welcome!

I have a feeling my hair will never ever reach APL in it's curly state. But I'm ok with that.

Have you tried shingling? It should help to enlongate your hair and weigh it down a bit so that it hangs more.

growth2come

With my shrinkage it will take me a long time to get to bsl without stretching my hair that would mean i would have to be maybe hipbone or something. My hair is now APL stretched and just above the shoulder when wet.

Ronnieaj

Lord only knows. My hair is full NL stretched, and EL shrunken. When it was CBL (I just cut 2 inches), it was still EL shrunken. I'm thinking though that the weight of my hair may cause the shrinkage factor to lessen as the hair grows. Who knows--hit me back in 2-3 years and hopefully I'll be able to tell you! :grin:

Digital Tempest

I'm hovering between collarbone and APL now stretched, and my hair still shrinks to ear length. I'd have to have a whole lotta hair for it to be curly at APL. I'm thinking it depends on how shrinky your hair is. I've seen people--even here on this forum--who have amazing length when stretched, but their hair still shrinks to their neck, ears, etc.

Pandora1975

My shrinkage is ridiculous. Stretched I am scraping shoulder length. Curly in back is barely nape length. Those itty bitty corkscrews are shy and hide themselves at every chance they get.

MarcustheWu

Sorry to tell you, but you will probably have to wait awhile. My hair is just past my hips and ,if there is no humidity, my is just at apl length unstretched. Barely

KynniB

I love my shrinkage. I like surprising people with my length. I believe id have to have hair down to my thighs to be APL unstretched. braid/twist outs give me the best of both words. My hair is still big and curly while looking longer

chosen07

Sorry to tell you, but you will probably have to wait awhile. My hair is just past my hips and ,if there is no humidity, my is just at apl length unstretched. Barely

WOW....so maybe my ultimate goal of my hair being SL in its curly state will take quite some time huh :grin:

jaiku

Well I've been natural since 1996 and when it happens I'll let you know. No matter how long my hair is it shrinks to about 4 inches. Even when I apply stretch techniques it will eventually shrink back by mid day. The only exception is a press or good flat iron.

NappyMD

Hmm maybe because my hair is fine I can reach apl still since it is easily weighed down? If I condition my hair, add some castor oil, and pull it back into a puff it stays dusting shoulder length and curly when I take it down later. My few WnGs have been similar.
Not going to change my goal just yet - I'd love to have a long puff! :love: