transitioners & naturals: how long did it take?

FAMUDva

How long did it take to grow out your new growth and reach, say, APL? Of course I mean with your natural hair pressed.

Thanks in advance for your responses :)

glamazon386

I'm not there yet but I would say between 2 and 3 years depending on how fast your hair grows and how much of that growth you maintain. Most people reach shoulder around the 2 year mark.

DarkAngell

i'd say it took me about 20 months from the first inch of ng until i reached apl.

hth

That makes sense. I'm natural...last relaxer was 15 months ago and my nape area is about 3 inches above apl. Now.....how long will it take for the FRONT of my heair to reach apl? probably a couple of years :(

LynnieB

That makes sense. I'm natural...last relaxer was 15 months ago and my nape area is about 3 inches above apl. Now.....how long will it take for the FRONT of my heair to reach apl? probably a couple of years :(

girl, who you tellin? :grin: see i still have these bangs...................................

it'll get there, don't worry!

moni_kerr

well it took me a year in a half to get to this point ..
http://images33.fotki.com/v1074/free/64b67/1/1270478/5736648/42007-vi.jpg

This is a year and a half from my last relaxer (100% natural)

sweetsuccess

hair grows alot faster natural?? or slower? ....im debating whether i want to do a relaxer ever 6-9 months....... or just go natural... i plan to wear my hair straight at all times.. therefore i should get relaxers huh??

FAMUDva

well it took me a year in a half to get to this point ..

This is a year and a half from my last relaxer (100% natural)

I just checked out your fotki and your hair is beautiful! It grows so fast! I think it would take me 3-4 yrs to see that kind of growth :( But hey, I have the rest of my life to grow healthy long hair... I'm in no hurry :)

moni_kerr

Thank you! And actually I didn't do anything special. I transitioned for 9 months and my hair was around 4.5 inches in length and I mostly grew it out by doing a lot of twist and no heat. I never cut/trimmed it and it grows an average .5 inches a month. I mostly just conditioned, conditioned, and conditioned ! I did co-washes a a lot because it was easy and fast when it was shorter.

FAMUDva

Thank you! And actually I didn't do anything special. I transitioned for 9 months and my hair was around 4.5 inches in length and I mostly grew it out by doing a lot of twist and no heat. I never cut/trimmed it and it grows an average .5 inches a month. I mostly just conditioned, conditioned, and conditioned ! I did co-washes a a lot because it was easy and fast when it was shorter.

My good friend mentioned that she conditions, conditions, conditions... and she has WL hair that she relaxes every 6 months. I think I'll try it :)

You've been such an inspiration today!!! I pray that by Dec 2009 I'll feel comfortable cutting my relaxed ends even if I'm not completely at APL... I hope to eventually be BSL or longer when stretched/pressed. I'll keep my eye on your fotki. Thanks for the inspiration!

BillsBackerz67

Hmm in my siggy pic Im slightly past APL but my hair is in barrel curls...I wanna say thats almost 1 year and 8 months of growth.

FAMUDva

thanks for all the responses ladies!

It sounds like on average it takes close to 2 yrs. For some shorter and others about that. I know I'm not a super fast grower... *sigh* My last touch up was in Dec. 07, so hopefully I'll have seen a total of 5-6 inches of growth by Dec. 08. That would put me on pace to be almost APL natural (stretched) in 24-26 months.

I plan to trim no more than an inch every few months of my relaxed ends as I reach for the goal. :)