How Long Did It Take You To Get Past BSL?

kblc06

I stayed hovering over BSL forever, and now that I'm approaching full BSL/MBL (I'm 5'2), my growth seems stagnant once again. Actually, it's not quite stagnant as much as my ends begin to feel rather worn and dry at this length which then requires me to trim. And then there are the SSKs (although they have been much fewer in number than in the past). I really want to reach full MBL and make WSL if possible by the end of this year (or very close to WSL). I plan on re-starting my wig + juice regimen at the start of the school year after I do a thorough S&D and small trim. What other tips and tricks do you have for getting over the BSL hump. I figured that once I made BSL things would be easy peasy, but that doesn't seem to be the case :look:.

laurend

I stayed hovering over BSL forever, and now that I'm approaching full BSL/MBL (I'm 5'2), my growth seems stagnant once again. Actually, it's not quite stagnant as much as my ends begin to feel rather worn and dry at this length which then requires me to trim. And then there are the SSKs (although they have been much fewer in number than in the past). I really want to reach full MBL and make WSL if possible by the end of this year (or very close to WSL). I plan on re-starting my wig + juice regimen at the start of the school year after I do a thorough S&D and small trim. What other tips and tricks do you have for getting over the BSL hump. I figured that once I made BSL things would be easy peasy, but that doesn't seem to be the case :look:.

I think the really long naturals who are the 4 range do protective hairstyles for 4 weeks for a few months to get over that hump. You might have to cornrow and wear your wig for 3 to 4 weeks and redo them for another 4 week stretch. I'm doing that until December starting next month. I guess this can for all types of hair.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
Girl, thats my question. I've been just above bsl for months..I'm finally seeing progress. Hair is kept in braids, cowash daily, and I've been using braid spray daily which seems to be helping, thats it...oh yeah, also DC'ing twice a week when needed.

Last edited:

aa9746

Girl, thats my question. I've been just above bsl for months..I'm finally seeing progress. Hair is kept in braids, cowash daily, and I've been using braid spray daily which seems to be helping, thats it...oh yeah, also DC'ing twice a week when needed.

I'm in the same boat. I need about another inch for bsl. However, I think I've decided to go back to my wigs now that summer vacation is over because my twists get fuzzy looking with washing and conditioning because I don't redo them every time I wash and condition because I don't want to over manipulate the hair.

Black Hoya Chick

nothing special. i finally started feeling like my hair was kinda long so i didnt worry about it as much. actually, it started to annoy me, there was so much of it lol. so it was always up: buns, ponytails, claw clips. then i was grazing BSL, then full BSL, and now about a bit past it. before i blink again i will be MBL. its true: a watched pot never boils. less manipulation = retention

ActionActress

It took me a while before I hit BSL. I was hanging at that 1" for a good while, now I am a little past it(BSL). I am technically MBL (or the upper MBL) But not MBL enough. But I intend to be waist length by the end of Dec. of this year or very, very close. I will definitely be below waist sometime next summer.:grin::cheers:

AA

ActionActress

nothing special. i finally started feeling like my hair was kinda long so i didnt worry about it as much. actually, it started to annoy me, there was so much of it lol. so it was always up: buns, ponytails, claw clips. then i was grazing BSL, then full BSL, and now about a bit past it. before i blink again i will be MBL. its true: a watched pot never boils. less manipulation = retention

Ditto with this one. Right now I just wash and put it in a braid in the back or a banded pontytail. Sometimes several twists.

Been doing my WHO and JBCO(with a little sulfur). That WGO does keep the hair moisturized and with full elasticity.

I will be doing a Maxiglide in a week or two when I know for sure the humidity has stayed down and the nights are cooler.

AA

kblc06

But the thing is, when I pressed my hair last month it was about 1-1.5 inches long than in my siggy, but I had to cut my progress due to my ends. They were terribly split just dry and felt "old". Does this commonly happen when people reach BSL and beyond. The bottom of my brastrap falls at approx. MBL and I have another 1.5" to go. I just want to be able to keep from having to cut it.

Janet'

:bump: :bump: :bump:

Bumping for you because I would like to know the answer to these questions...Midback Length Ladies, please chime in!

redantz00

Ditto with this one. Right now I just wash and put it in a braid in the back or a banded pontytail. Sometimes several twists.

Been doing my WHO and JBCO(with a little sulfur). That WGO does keep the hair moisturized and with full elasticity.

I will be doing a Maxiglide in a week or two when I know for sure the humidity has stayed down and the nights are cooler.

AA

Please let me know what WHO, JBCO, and WGO means??? I'm very interested in anything that keeps hair moisturized! TIA

NaturalPath

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I recently straightened my hair in anticipation because it was my 3 year healthy hair anniversary and I almost cried because I was about the same length I was last year. I am full BSL and have maybe half an inch past my bra strap but I too have to keep cutting my ends.

OP our hair is similar with similar length, do you consider yourself to have fine hair. IMO it is harder for fine hair to retain length. I am also hoping to reach close to WSL by the end of the year.

I also agree with what others say....might just have to protective style until the end of the year. I think imma have to just do some head wraps until next year bc I despise buns and I do not wear braids.

Last edited:

kblc06

To the bolded YES! Our is quite similar, but I consider my hair more fine-medium because for some inexplicable reason my strands seem to have become thicker and more resistant to split ends (perhaps from the Joico and MSM). I've also noticed that it more difficult to straighten with heat, but they are still quite fragile and split easily, just not quite as easily as before. Wigs and braided and banded ponytails are my friends. But I just get kinda sick of wearing them or having to hide my hair to retain length. I think I may go back to rollersetting or straightening for minute, just for a change of pace. My hair grew so well when I was relaxed was able to just wet wrap it around my head :(. But my hair is currently longer than my relaxed hair ever was except for the first 2 years, plus my scalp is incredibly healthy. And I give the :rolleyes: to anyone who says type 3 fine hair is easier to deal with. It's going on 4 years for this hair journey and I'm still not halfway the length of most of my type 4 natural idols.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I recently straightened my hair in anticipation because it was my 3 year healthy hair anniversary and I almost cried because I was about the same length I was last year. I am full BSL and have maybe half an inch past my bra strap but I too have to keep cutting my ends.

OP our hair is similar with similar length, do you consider yourself to have fine hair. IMO it is harder for fine hair to retain length. I am also hoping to reach close to WSL by the end of the year.

I also agree with what others say....might just have to protective style until the end of the year. I think imma have to just do some head wraps until next year bc I despise buns and I do not wear braids.

NaturalPath

To the bolded YES! Our is quite similar, but I consider my hair more fine-medium because for some inexplicable reason my strands seem to have become thicker and more resistant to split ends (perhaps from the Joico and MSM). I've also noticed that it more difficult to straighten with heat, but they are still quite fragile and split easily, just not quite as easily as before. Wigs and braided and banded ponytails are my friends. But I just get kinda sick of wearing them or having to hide my hair to retain length. I think I may go back to rollersetting or straightening for minute, just for a change of pace. My hair grew so well when I was relaxed was able to just wet wrap it around my head :(. But my hair is currently longer than my relaxed hair ever was except for the first 2 years, plus my scalp is incredibly healthy. And I give the :rolleyes: to anyone who says type 3 fine hair is easier to deal with. It's going on 4 years for this hair journey and I'm still not halfway the length of most of my type 4 natural idols.

Your roller sets always look very nice and I have yet to try your technique lol I have just been lazy. Since I do wash n go's 95% of the time I am pretty sure it contributes to my lack of retaining.

I honestly think that type 4 hair is more sturdier so it does not split as easy as fine hair; yet they still have issues with detangling & moisture. I should have been full waist length by now :wallbash: If I am not full WL by January I am just going to go bonkers and cut it all off lol

I guess I should say fine-medium because my hair has gotten thicker than what it originally was.

southerncitygirl

bumping for more replies.....in june when i went for a dusting i was almost a full inch below bsl ( from apl the previous september) however i put off getting dusted and instead of going at the 6 month mark i waited 9 months and had to cut back to apl:wallbash: health before length....sigh. i'm really tall with along torso so this was a big thing cause i've never had hair that long before. i think for the fall i will wear twists and be wigging it until springtime. i plan on checking my ends in september with my stylist because i wore alot of twistouts thissummer and want to make sure my ends are still on point:yep:, if not i'll get them dusted again and see her in 6months.

SayNo2HairCrack

You guys.. I barely trim my ends.. :nono::nono: lol !! I just don't believe in it.... I just make sure my ends are moisturized ... I may regret it in the future when my hair is the length I want it to be and I want it straighten and neat... *** @southerncitygirl *** ... (( honestly I teared up when you said you had to cut it back to the length u started with!! :blush::blush: )) You NEARLY convince me to trim it but those stylist are scissor happy dudde !! and being natural I don't see it THAT necessary.. :-/

Kneechay

I actually dont even know when I got past BSL. I just remembered going from APL to past BSL after 2 weave take downs, each 3 months. I'm past BSL now and I'm kinda surprised. PSing for a while helps. Weave helped me 'forget' about having my own hair braided up.

Barbara

Princess
This is where my hair gets stuck. I'm about one inch below bra clasp now. This is not much progress considering six inches were cut off by my stylist back in February 2009 to even out the length. So I've only gained three inches during the past 1-1/2 years, but I have to admit that I haven't been taking care of my hair like I used to.

I went to my stylist earlier this month, and I can see that if I keep going to him instead of doing my own hair, then I'll gain the few inches back before the end of the year. Besides, my hair looks a whole lot better when he does it . . . and it holds up very well for at least a month.

I'm trying to save money during these difficult times, but my sister and aunt keep telling me to go back to the salon more often.

Last edited: