How long do everyone wait in between relaxers?

I used to go about every 12 weeks or maybe more. HOWEVER, since I have been using this NIoxin, my hair literally has about 2-3 inches of new growth NO JOKE and it has only been 9 weeks. I dont know what it is but I have so much new growth I dont know what to do with it. I am getting a touch up this thursday which will be 9 weeks since the last one. Normally Id last longer but I just dont see the point since I have all of this obvious unmanageable new growth.

I'm in my 2nd 6 mon stretch. My regimine allows me to do it with ease. It gets tough at month 5. :whip:

It really depends on the styling options I want at the time. I get the touch up anywhere from 8-12 weeks. If Im surgein on a regular basis it's 8 with streching.

I generally relax every 3 monthes, but if my hair is in super growth mode I may relax a month early.

Chaya said:
I used to go about every 12 weeks or maybe more. HOWEVER, since I have been using this NIoxin, my hair literally has about 2-3 inches of new growth NO JOKE and it has only been 9 weeks. I dont know what it is but I have so much new growth I dont know what to do with it. I am getting a touch up this thursday which will be 9 weeks since the last one. Normally Id last longer but I just dont see the point since I have all of this obvious unmanageable new growth.

Chaya, are you talking about the Nioxin Silk Elixr?

Every three months for me. I've worked my way up to every three months from every 6 weeks (pre hair boards).

I applaud all of you who are able to extend your relaxers, but my hair is the boss and I do what it says otherwise it sheds and breaks something awful. For me, 4 1/2 weeks MAX or I'll DEFINITELY pay for it!

before LHCF I relaxed every 4 weeks..my hair is really thick and dense....Now i am wearing weaves so my hair is protected and relaxing ever 12-16 weeks...
last relaxer I was 8 wks this relaxer im waiting 12 weeks....

lol i keep saying relaxer and i have a texturizer...lol

I have massive type 4a-b hair and I usually stretch my relaxers for about 24-28 weeks. I control the NG by doing co-washes frequently, oiling my ends and wearing protective styles such as buns.:)

TonicaG said:
I applaud all of you who are able to extend your relaxers, but my hair is the boss and I do what it says otherwise it sheds and breaks something awful. For me, 4 1/2 weeks MAX or I'll DEFINITELY pay for it!

I agree with you 100%! :notworthy If i go past 8 weeks, I start to look scary. :whip: My hair simply won't wait.

Alli77 said:
I have massive type 4a-b hair and I usually stretch my relaxers for about 24-28 weeks. I control the NG by doing co-washes frequently, oiling my ends and wearing protective styles such as buns.:)

Wow....
24-28 wks. with type 4a-b hair. :eek:

I relax every 3 months. Maybe a bit more sometimes as I'm always putting it off because I hate doing it.
Will probably be waiting more than 3 months this time though as I seem to have very little new growth.

The last time, i relaxed after 13 weeks. I had lots of breaking shedding and everything! Right now im at 7 weeks post relaxer and my hair is a hot mess. Im thinking of stretching till 8 weeks but if i can do sth about my hair, i may relax after 12 weeks

Before joining this forum I would relax religiously every 6-8 weeks. More likely every 8 weeks. Sometimes 9 wks. But now that I've found the LHCF, I stretch my relaxers to 14 weeks!!! My hair has THRIVED from this! :)

My hair is SOO much thicker at the roots, and I don't "see-through" my hair at the roots like I do at the ends. I can't wait until my hair grows even LONGER so that I can FINALLY cut off these thin, whispy, see-through ends. :-/

I usually wait 12 weeks , but ever since I increased my protein intake (80g/day) I can only wait 9/10 weeks.

I used to be every 4 weeks. Right now Im at 10 weeks and my hair does not like me right now. I was going to try and transition but it is not gonna happen this time. I am having too much shedding and breakage.

landakaye said:
I used to be every 4 weeks. Right now Im at 10 weeks and my hair does not like me right now. I was going to try and transition but it is not gonna happen this time. I am having too much shedding and breakage.

I am six almost 7 weeks. I thought I was going to transition my hair also. I am eventually but I have too much damage to do that now. I don't want to transition damaged hair. I have too much going on with my hair now. I am going to call my old beautician to do a cut for me soon. I really want to transition but I don't think the time is now!

I wait 7-8 weeks before I get another relaxer. I'm thinking of shortening it to 5-6 weeks. Since I've exercising and taking my vitamins, my hair is growing a lot!!

Not to change the subject, but why is it important that we should wait so long to get another perm?

Last edited:
I've been waiting 16 weeks the last few times before relaxing. I am going to try to wait for at least 6 months instead of 4 this time. I'd love to be able to only get re-touches twice a year. I stretch my relaxers because I really don't like using the chemicals , but I like showing the full length of my hair. I figure if I can get my re-touches down to twice a year, the less chemicals the better. My hair also seems to be stronger than when I had my hair relaxed more frequently. Also, no matter how well my scalp is based and how short of a time the relaxer is left on it almost always burns and I can't stand that feeling on my scalp so the less relaxing for me the better. :)

Last edited:
If only I had found this forum last year .......b/c once I would get past six weeks I get alot of breakage esp around the crown area...which I'm still dealing with the ramifications of.

I am at 9 weeks....I'm not sure when I will relax/texturize, maybe a week or two.

I usually wait about two months or when my hair wouldn't allow a comb through. Recently I went 9 weeks and 1 day but relaxed my hair. I just learned how to stretch it out even longer so my goal is at least until June or July before my next relaxer... :yep:

Back