How long do you leave affirm mild relaxer in......

BrEE

to acheive straight hair??? the instructions say 13 minutes but i really dont think that will straighten my hair. i was thinking 20 minutes.

nicki6

I used Affirm (normal strength) on my 4a hair and left it in for 25min includ. smoothing and my hair was maybe 70-80% straight. I am accustomed to bone straight hair, so I am not pleased. In my opinion, I needed a touchup at week 3. Before I was using no-lye Precise so that may account for the difference. Hope my rambling helps somewhat.

Britt

Re: How long do you leave affirm mild relaxer in..

Bree are you including smoothing time?
I ordered Affirm Mild-lye and will be using it this weekend. My hair is underprocessed so I think I may sit around with it in my head for a little while. I really don't want to be underprocessed again. Sometimes the hairdressers are in a rush to wash it out, but I must make sure that I am fully relaxed before I rinse out the relaxer.

BrEE

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
I ordered Affirm Mild-lye and will be using it this weekend. My hair is underprocessed so I think I may sit around with it in my head for a little while. I really don't want to be underprocessed again. Sometimes the hairdressers are in a rush to wash it out, but I must make sure that I am fully relaxed before I rinse out the relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, including smoothing time.i'll be doing the half and half so it should be easier spending all my time working with one section. my hair's underprocessed too. maybe i should have gotten the normal.pleaseeeeee lemme know how it turns out when you've relaxed.

RachelL

When I used the Affirm mild, I left it in for 25 minutes, including smoothing time, and my 4a hair was still more underprocessed that I would like. I ended up ordering the Normal strength. I leave that in for about 20-25 minutes, and it doesn't get bone straight, but I consider it to be fully relaxed .

kitchen_tician

I use Affirm Lye Mild and it takes me much longer than 13 minutes to put the perm in.
I think it's closer to a total of 25-30 minutes and it's straight enough for me, but not bone straight. I perm my whole head at one time.

I would use a regular formula if I let a professional do it, because they could work it in faster.

Chichi

Mine (Affirm Fiberguard Mild Lye) took 23 minutes inluding smoothing to get my desired 70% straight. I did it in four sections, so each section got maybe 15 minutes relaxer time because I washed it out in the order that I applied/smoothed. Hope this makes sense...

Chichi

cutebajangirl

If you want straight hair it is not necessarily the time you leave it in but what you are doing to. I think to get straight hair you are gonna have to be smoothing and maybe even combing throught the new growth to get the bonds to reform in the pattern that you desire.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
If you want straight hair it is not necessarily the time you leave it in but what you are doing to. I think to get straight hair you are gonna have to be smoothing and maybe even combing throught the new growth to get the bonds to reform in the pattern that you desire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what she said!

S

Stylepink

I left mine in for 23 minutes, i think i could've left in in longer or worked it better. This was my first time, so next time, i'll know better!

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
bree said:
[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, including smoothing time.i'll be doing the half and half so it should be easier spending all my time working with one section. my hair's underprocessed too. maybe i should have gotten the normal.pleaseeeeee lemme know how it turns out when you've relaxed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would let them take thier time and really smooth the relaxer and then let it sit for a little while. Even if the whole process takes 35-40 minutes. I've done this before with a mild relaxer to ensure that I am not underprocessed. I will def. let you know how it turns out though. Sometimes its kinda hard to tell, then one week after you wash your hair you notice that you are underprocessed

BrEE

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
[ QUOTE ]
bree said:
[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would let them take thier time and really smooth the relaxer and then let it sit for a little while. Even if the whole process takes 35-40 minutes. I've done this before with a mild relaxer to ensure that I am not underprocessed. I will def. let you know how it turns out though. Sometimes its kinda hard to tell, then one week after you wash your hair you notice that you are underprocessed

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!!!!!!!!! that is exactly what keeps happening to me. i get relaxed and everything looks fine. then a week later i wash and airdry, i see curls and waves everywhere. it's driving me crazy.

cutebajangirl

Wow I thought I was the only one that ever let a relaxer be in for 30-40 minutes.

itismehmmkay

So I have 4a/b hair (tight like a 4b, but definite curl coils like a 4a)......how long should I keep an Affirm mild in if I just want to loosen the curl to those of a 3b hair type? Would that be 50-60% relaxed or what?

Tai

I would do a strand test so you can tell how long you want to leave the relaxer in to get the results you want.

I would think if you're leaving a mild relaxer in for over the time recommended (30-40 minutes) that you might want to consider using a regular formula so you wouldn't have to worry about underprocessing or what might happen to your hair if leave the relaxer in for too long.

aqualung

I'm 4b with fine hair in tight coils that resist straightening.

At first my stylist used a timer such that application and smoothing (combing the new growth with a fine toothed comb) lasted 17 minutes with Affirm mild lye. When I kept complaining that I was underprocessed with this technique, he switched me to Affirm regular lye for 17 minutes. I kept griping, so he left it on longer each time. In May we went 20-22 minutes with Affirm regular lye (at my insistance) and my "scalp of steel" got chemical burns. I've backed off to 17 minutes with regular now.

If he didn't comb through the new growth after application, my coils would NOT straighten. They're tight like that.

itismehmmkay

Thanks, Tai....I always forget about the strand test!!

I am seriously excited here. I'll recommend that to the hair stylist I'll be consulting with!

Mamacita

I wanted to oder the Affrim relaxer also, my stylist just used regular so I have to see after I wash it, if I should use regular. But what are the steps in the process, I want to self relax, my hair comes out soooo much better when I do it myself. Also how long does it take for the to send the products? TIA