How long do you wait for a touch up?

kisz4tj

It's been 9 weeks since my last touch-up? I want another because I can't wait to see the difference with a lye relaxer. But my hair is pretty straight thanks to my blow out at the dominican salon on Friday, ooh la la
smile.gif
smile.gif
But what's a typical waiting period for you?

I haven't had a relaxer since January (early February) and I can usually wait anywhere from 4 to 5 months as my new growth grows in really soft and wavy. I am trying to hold out until the end of May. Hopefully by then I would have made a decision about using Mizani or Affirm.

i normally wait 8 weeks but im on a new quest to wait 5 months, i am currently on week 6 (i know i have a long way to go) so i hope i make it.
grin.gif

Between 6-8 weeks...any longer my hair begins to break. I tend to stay closer to 6 weeks.
Rhonda

usually every 4-5 months, but when i look at pictures of my youth with natural hair , im starting to think i might have 3a/3b hair. cause my roots are straight, by straight i mean dead straight with just a lil quater size wave to it. ive been relaxing my hair out of habit that ive never really noticed my new growth. but i might try to do a temporary natural and wait a yer before i relax again.

Every 8 weeks, but I was able to stretch it out to 10 weeks recently. I am trying to go every 12 weeks now-i am getting there gradually. I can't wait-as you can tell i am excited about stretching it out. (when i first relaxed my hair, i did it every 3 months-don't ask me what happened?
confused.gif

I just relaxed mine after waiting 16 weeks for the first time ever!!! Normally it's 12-14 weeks. During the summer months I seem to want to do it at 12...(it must be the humidity!!
crazy.gif
)

Anywhere between 4-6 mths. However, my last touch up was in April, only after 3 mths, and that was really stretching it cause my new growth had taken over. Hopefully, I can get back on my 4 mth schedule with the next one... we'll see...

[ QUOTE ]
cause my roots are straight, by straight i mean dead straight with just a lil quater size wave to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emgurl, you must really be happy with that.. however what you are describing is not a 3 type pattern maybe a 2. What relaxer did you use?

i've been known to do one as early as 4 weeks (in my underprocessed hair hell) but that is by no means my norm.
I generally try to realx when i have about 1.5 inches of new growth or whenever my hair starts to break from the 2 battling textures. Normally that's around 8-10 weeks

PEACHTREE...

I have 4 a/b hair like you. I'm wondering how you manage to stretch your touch ups out so long without suffering lots of breakage??????
confused.gif
I usually go every 6 weeks but this time I'm going for 8 to see how that goes. What is your secret to managing your new growth for so long?????

I'd like to add, that you have to also decide when to go by your new growth (and believe me, it does talk
smile.gif
mad.gif
). You might like waiting for 3-6 months, but if your hair grew a lot, and you have a lot of new growth, then it would be beneficial to go a little sooner versus having to combat breakage. Also, a lot of people are taking different vitamins around here, so that plays a part also, in growth and the state of the new growth, so even if someone has the same hair type as you, you still have to look at your individual growth and the strength of your hair. For some people, it wouldn't be beneficial to wait 4-5 months to relax 3-4 inches of new growth, if you're going to lose 2 inches or more (or thickness) from breakage.

It will be 10 weeks this Saturday...I'm glad that I went this long without a touch-up without looking like
censored.gif
but it's time for a touch up..

I have a lot of new growth and there isn't much I can do without being able to frequently wash my hair...

I think this will be the typical time for me to touch up..I used to go no more than 9 weeks. I've proved to myself that I can do that w/o damage and without looking crazy, but I still don't want to go too long..
tongue.gif
erplexed:

Thanks to MSM, S-Curl gel and activator and the ponytail air drying method, I'll be @ week 12 on May 15. Week 14 ain't exactly stressing me either and I have thick hair.

Adrienne...

You're another 4 monther huh? I just can't figure out for the life of me how you do it.
confused.gif
I'm almost at week 7 and my hair has become dry and hard. I'm even starting to break more hairs. I doubt it I can go past another week without some chemicals!!!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?????????????

Why do you like waiting so long between touch ups?

[ QUOTE ]
week 7 and my hair has become dry and hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

ny2atl,

try washing every other day with a conditioner or a very moisturising shampoo. your hair is dry and hard so give it what it wants, more moisture and oils to lock in that moisture. and then handle it as less as possible. hot oil treatments will also keep your new growth super soft believe me...
smile.gif

Back