How Long Is Conditioner Good?

Ennyaa

Howdy Ladies,

Well I have decided that I will use up the conditioner I have for my weekly conditioner washes before I spend another 10 bucks for the KeraCare that I like. But here is my problem...

I have a BIG OLE bottle of Mane N Tail Conditioner that I've had for at least 5 years! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif And I want to work my way through that but I'm not sure if it's actually still okay to put on my hair after all this time. Anybody have any idea what the shelf life of these products is?

pebbles

Hi Ennya,

If it has no odor or hasn't changed color, it may still be good, but I would just get another bottle, just in case. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlkMane

Most hair products can last a long time. Since it is a conditioner
and not a RELAXER or anything like that, even if you put
it on your hair and it was a little old it wouldn't cause you any harm.

This is the test I do on old products:

First I open the bottle and look inside (if possible) BEFORE shaking it up to
see if the product has separated or is moldy or shows other signs that it is
too old to use.

If it looks fine, then I proceed to pour some in my hand. I smell it. If the smell is
off from the "normal" smell, I toss it out. If it smells fine, I test the consistency.
If it is lumpy or gritty or is in any other way very different from the way it appeared
when it was new I dump it.

If it looks, smells and feels fine--I use it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlkMane

Forgot to add...you are only using it for conditioner WASHES anyway,
so I'm thinking it should be fine as long as the above applies.

Ennyaa

Thanks ladies. I'll try to apply all those tests when I get home tonight. It's such a HUGE bottle I'd really hate to have to toss the whole thing ya know?

Tara

Hi,

I just called the company for you (I also have a big bottle that I'm trying to use up and the number is on there)

They said that the shelf life of the conditioner is 12-15 years! WOW! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif The lady who answered the consumer questions also said that if you look in the back of the bottle where the instructions are there should be a code, so it will say something like "2G688" the 2G means it was made in the year 2000, so she said that's another way to check how long it's been on the shelves at your local store.

Their # is: 1-800-827-9815 option 4.

If it wasn't kept in extreme heat or extreme cold it should be o.k.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ennyaa

OMG!!! Thank you SO MUCH for doing that! /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

Goodness gracious I love the ladies on this board!

Jade21

Tara,

Is that right? 12-15 years? That has got to be a record! I thought the average conditioner lasted 3 years at best. My goodness!

~Jade~

Tara

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Jade21 said:
Tara,

Is that right? 12-15 years? That has got to be a record! I thought the average conditioner lasted 3 years at best. My goodness!

~Jade~

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you see my /images/graemlins/shocked.gif face next to that right? But that's what the lady said. I'd post all the ingredients but my hands are tired. I was wondering what's in it that would allow it to have that long of a shelf life. Like Twinkies I guess eh?

Anyway, the number is posted if anyone wants to call for more questions /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Hi,

I just called the company for you (I also have a big bottle that I'm trying to use up and the number is on there)

They said that the shelf life of the conditioner is 12-15 years! WOW! The lady who answered the consumer questions also said that if you look in the back of the bottle where the instructions are there should be a code, so it will say something like "2G688" the 2G means it was made in the year 2000, so she said that's another way to check how long it's been on the shelves at your local store.

Their # is: 1-800-827-9815 option 4.

If it wasn't kept in extreme heat or extreme cold it should be o.k.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Tara,
That's really nice of you to do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Needless to say, that information comes in very handy!! Anything I don't like I can save and pick it up at a much later time.

Thanks girl!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif