how long is to long to stretch your relaxer

Christina Dior

sorry i didnt do a poll but how long do you think is to long i wanna go 8 months but i dont want my hair to break off TIA

bellezanegra826

i think it really depends on your hair and your growth rate. if you can go to 8 months without breakage then its not too long, but if you get to 2 months and your hair is snapping off, then 8 months is too long.

wheezy807

i think it really depends on your hair and your growth rate. if you can go to 8 months without breakage then its not too long, but if you get to 2 months and your hair is snapping off, then 8 months is too long.
ITA. Like myself i can stretch up to 16weeks. Actually i most likely can stretch more but 16weeks it when i prefer to retouch. As long as your taking care of your hair and it's not breaking off.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
It really depends on how you manage your hair while stretching and if you feel you can handle the two textures. Be sure to baby your ends and pay close attention to your line of demarcation and for shedding or breakage that is an uncomfortable amount for you. Keep your protein/moisture balance in check, deep condition regularly and you should be fine. HTH

cecilie

It really depends on how you manage your hair while stretching and if you feel you can handle the two textures. Be sure to baby your ends and pay close attention to your line of demarcation and for shedding or breakage that is an uncomfortable amount for you. Keep your protein/moisture balance in check, deep condition regularly and you should be fine. HTH

Nothing to add ,I streched almost 8 months and appply all Lovenharmony advices , and when I was tired to deal with my NG I relaxed I didn't have breakage .

tapioca_pudding

Cosign with the above: depends on your hair and what it can take. I recently learned that 4 months was entirely too long for my hair, so I won't stretch past 12-13 weeks again. But ladies like sylver can go 6 months to a year and do just fine.

My suggestion would be not to set a time frame... just add a week to your normal stretch time, and assess your hair weekly thereafter. If it seems to be okay, add another week. If you start to notice shedding/breakage/etc, then it may be time to stop stretching. Listen to your hair, don't tell it what to do. :)

freshlikemoi

As long as you can keep it healthy and and evenly moisturized you can keep stretching.

--I stretch for 4/5 months at a time. (I do this with a weave around the 8th week or so)

OrangeMoon

10-12 weeks depending on the status of my new growth. I can sometimes go longer depending on my hair styles and how well I can get this madness to laydown.