How Long?

mswinni

I am trying to figure out my hair type. How long did it take to figure out your true hair type? I've never really strechted my relaxers long enough to tell. Right now I am about 4 wks post relaxer and this is the time I'd usually relax. But since I've started taking better care of my hair (just this month) the new growth doesn't seem as ruff and I plan on strecthing a few more weeks. Is this enough time to figure what my hair type is?

Thanks Ladies!

hOnii

i could only tell for sure when i stretched out my relaxers and had a lot of new growth. i could see a distinct "Z" in my curl pattern. however i also have a little "S" so i'm mixed.

if you do protective styles, that can give your hair time to grow out and maybe you can discover your true hair type.

Sweet_Ambrosia

mswinni said:
I am trying to figure out my hair type. How long did it take to figure out your true hair type? I've never really strechted my relaxers long enough to tell. Right now I am about 4 wks post relaxer and this is the time I'd usually relax. But since I've started taking better care of my hair (just this month) the new growth doesn't seem as ruff and I plan on strecthing a few more weeks. Is this enough time to figure what my hair type is?

Thanks Ladies!

Wait atleast another month,by then you should be able to figure out your hair type.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When I first joined the forum back in April, I thought I was Type 1 since my hair was bone straight from relaxers. I didn't know anything about natural hair texture. After couple of months, I thought I was type 3b or something, then 4a in the summer... now, I really don't know because most of the explanations of each type sound the same to me! :spinning:

Here's how I explain my hair type: My natural hair grows in tight spirally curls. When my hair is wet, my natural part of my hair (the new growth) is wavy. It can take a while to straighten. When dry, it's coarse. And my hair is thick because of the medium density, but it's actually fine textured because of the width of each strand. :antlers:

mswinni

Thanks Poohbear. I guess I'll just have to wait. Since it short I should know in the next couple of weeks. The new growth seems to be coming in wavy and when I tied and air dried last night it seemed wavy. I guess I'll figure it out soon enough.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
mswinni said:
Thanks Poohbear. I guess I'll just have to wait. Since it short I should know in the next couple of weeks. The new growth seems to be coming in wavy and when I tied and air dried last night it seemed wavy. I guess I'll figure it out soon enough.
You're welcome. My hair is wavy as well, especially around the edges, after I had it tied, but I know underneath the hair laying down, I still have some spiral curls (especially in my crown area). It's so neat to grow out your hair! :weird: