How do I stop the shedding?

QB

I'm currently strecthing in my 10th week, never strecthed this long before. I've tried henna and protein, everytime i comb my hair it's all over my shoulders and the floor.

I'm currently strecthing in my 10th week, never strecthed this long before. I've tried henna and protein, everytime i comb my hair it's all over my shoulders and the floor.

Is the hair on your shoulders longer or short?

If you relax, you should refrain from manipulating your hair (combing, curling, blowdrying, etc.) just to get it in a style at this time in your stretch.

Condition wash or just rinse with warm water and place in a protective style if you have to for work, going out, etc. The difference in texture between your new growth and relaxed hair can break at the demarcation line even if handled gently.

Also, please be careful with stretching. Not everyone can stretch long periods of time and 10 weeks may be your maximum amount of time.
Get yourself a touch up and then follow with a reconstructor. Several days later, do a deep conditioning treatment.

Also, be careful and space out your henna treatments, say every 4-6 weeks. unless you do a henna gloss.

A tea or coffee rinse may help along with garlic pills or even some garlic shampoos.
But I agree with the first poster. That was excellent advice. Not everyone can stretch that long.

If it is all over your shoulders, it is most likely breakage and not shedding. You've used henna and protein but haven't mentioned moisture. I'm a few days shy of 13 weeks post and I am having the same issue this week so have just been keeping my hair back in a bun and moisturising daily. I didn't use heat with my most recent DC so I think I didn't get enough moisture to balance the protein I used this time around.

Just be sure to keep your hair well moisturised by DC'ing weekly (maintaining the moisture/protein balance) and keep manipulation low.

If it is all over your shoulders, it is most likely breakage and not shedding. You've used henna and protein but haven't mentioned moisture. I'm a few days shy of 13 weeks post and I am having the same issue this week so have just been keeping my hair back in a bun and moisturising daily. I didn't use heat with my most recent DC so I think I didn't get enough moisture to balance the protein I used this time around.

Just be sure to keep your hair well moisturised by DC'ing weekly (maintaining the moisture/protein balance) and keep manipulation low.

Thanks for the advice, I use JBCO as my daily moisturizer and I deep condition at least once a week with ORS.

Thanks for the advice, I use JBCO as my daily moisturizer and I deep condition at least once a week with ORS.

IMO, JBCO isn't a moisturizer. JBCO is an oil, which can be used to seal your hair. Now, if you don't have a moisturizer applied to your hair, JBCO seals your hair so that no moisture can reach your hair; if you have moisturizer applied to your hair JBCO is sealing the moisture IN. I don't know where you are geographically, but if you are in a cold climate, moisture is especially important this time of year because the cold, dry air will suck out whatever moisture you have, so if you don't have any, your hair is going to break. Try adding a water-based moisturizer to your hair - focusing on the new growth, line of demarcation, and your ends. Seal it with the JBCO.

A tea or coffee rinse may help along with garlic pills or even some garlic shampoos.
But I agree with the first poster. That was excellent advice. Not everyone can stretch that long.

^^^^^^^^^^I agree...Im 10 weeks post and its been a breeze with tea rinses and DC's; The tea rinses are the best:yep: I steep a yogi green tea for active body(caffeine) and a Chopra ayurvedic invigorating tea for my scalp;when cooled i pour in a spray bottle and saturate my scalp, hair and face:yep: ...I alternate with Alter ego Garlic Conditioner and Rusk Calm Conditioner.

JBCO is an oil that should be used to seal and not moisturize. Find a good daily moisturizer like Qhemet Biologics Buttercreme.

Try the Pantene Relaxed & Natural Breakage Defense Mask as a deep conditioner. That will help as well.

Back