How many artists are natural?

Aviah

We've all seen it before. Poets, Authors, Film Makers, Singers, Songwriters, Instrumentalists, etc- who are natural. Its become a little of a stereotype, especially among the poets I see/ hear of (I write also). My question is: Why?
For me being natural and writing poetry are different things, (as it probably is for so many) but I'm just curious about the different reasons behind the many artists that are natural or not, or what link if any there is between the two...

Aviah

Its one of those "just curious" threads...No one?
Or am I the only one who noticed the trend?:look:

Tiye

Well a lot of artists want to go against the grain. In many cases they want to be different, and create their own look instead of doing what everyone else is doing. Maybe their personalities are such that they don't have the patience for the work that goes into maintaining relaxed hair. These are just generalizations. Some artists have relaxed hair coz they like the look - or it's what they know how to maintain easily and they don't want to think about doing something different.

tmhuggiebear

I've noticed this too. I consider myself an artist in some ways (journalist, dancer, singer). I have natural hair. However, in all my years as a dancer, almost every artist( dancer) in my class or performance had straight hair.

I think that part of the reason is because typically artists are creative types that go against the crowd. Therefore, in a society where everyone appears to have straight hair, artists instinctively go against the grain and go for curly or kinky hair.

I can honestly say that is how I thought my entire life. I still do to this day. I hate having something that everyone else has or doing something that everyone else days. I really hate trends and following them in any way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but thats my cents. Any other thoughts?

EllePixie

They don't have corporate jobs, so they don't feel pressured by corporate society to conform. Or do you just mean people who do these things in addition to their job?

Netta1

^^some artist do indeed have corporate jobs (such as myself)...a true artist will find a way to showcase their artistry even in the most sterile environments imo. Artist sometimes get "professional jobs" because not everyone supports the arts.

Now back to the topic...OP

Who really knows why? Maybe some artist believe that their hair is yet another means to be creative and therefore they "live their art" by standing outside of the norm.

I was an artist long before I went natural so for me there was no real connection between my art and my hair...

curlyninjagirl

Artists have a long history of being non-conformists. For myself, as an artist, I realized early on that it's easier for me to embrace my unique tastes than try to fit in. Hair is just one of many many things I'm glad I do differently than the majority.

Mz.MoMo5235

i'm an artists. i've painted and sculpted since i was young...

but i was still an artist when i was relaxed... so the 2 have nothing in common to me

luckiestdestiny

I'm an artist (actress, writer, and now also producer) and I don't really care. I'm natural but I would wear my hair straight or curly in a heartbeat. I have thought about relaxing (for easier maintanence if you see my hair is very dense but also I have tons of fine hair so detangling takes a long time), but there is this innate urge in me not to. IDK what it is and don't think it has anything to do with being an artist. BUT I will say I do like expressing myself. And also I'd like to add that conforming is not something I'm intersted in which is also why I didn't go for the typical dread writer look because to me that's conforming too. I guess my idea of being me is doing what I want when I want independent of what anyone thinks (artist or not) natural or not...and if that means going against the grain of everyone then I'm fine, as long as I'm being true to me (which sometimes could mean that at first glance you'd think I'm conforming). BUT my definition of conforming has nothing to do with looking like another it's trying to be like someone else. Like everyone is doing this. BUT I feel it's just as bad to do the opposite just to proveyou're not like everyone else because I think you're still caring about what others think lol. I think the truest way, for me, is to just do my thing regardless of what any one thinks whether I straighten, wear braids, or whatever it's just an expression of what I currently want to do.

Last edited:

DarkVictory

For some it's probably hair-as-art material... enjoying the appearance, texture, and sculptural qualities of natural hair.

Curlykale

You all are making me curious as I am an art addicted! I don't make art but I just love art history, contemporary art, art from people who are not famous artists... But I won't be rude and say "show me your stuff" unless you spontaneously show your stuff of course LOL :)

I honestly don't have an answer but I do feel that today, with all this information we have to care for our natural hair, people have more choice and the possible difference between corporate and non corporate is disappearing. I like that.

luckiestdestiny

You all are making me curious as I am an art addicted! I don't make art but I just love art history, contemporary art, art from people who are not famous artists... But I won't be rude and say "show me your stuff" unless you spontaneously show your stuff of course LOL :)

I honestly don't have an answer but I do feel that today, with all this information we have to care for our natural hair, people have more choice and the possible difference between corporate and non corporate is disappearing. I like that.
lol the only two things I have to show are things I'm producing (one says associate but I'm also producer of social ntwk) the other I'm one of the producers and doing social ntwk: contacting blogs, etc to get the film in ) Even producing requires art. Sometimes commenting on edits, etc in addition to choosing projects with a vision. IMO even marketing requires creativity. I chose these two projects (in addition to feeling like they chose me:spinning:) because of the director's vision. Even though they're documentaries, they still tell a visual story through their story arc, the way they're shot and the mood the director gives. Currently they're both raising money for rough cuts (one already met the goal but the other will make it too, and then they're submitting to Sundance) BTW you can press play to see the clips of them:

http://kck.st/hhs4tB and http://kck.st/hYlvrp

If you scroll to the bottom you'll see (of the whole g c) art work as well as we're working with an up and coming artist.

My screen plays I'm guarding within an inch of their life until I'm ready to come out with them(and produce them)

Last edited:

empressri

eh, i know it's some of both out there, natural and folks that arent. i think it's just preference.

Curlykale

Even producing requires art. IMO even marketing requires creativity. I chose these two projects (in addition to feeling like they chose me:spinning:) because of the director's vision. Even though they're documentaries, they still tell a visual story through their story arc, the way they're shot and the mood the director gives.

OMG they are BEAUTIFUL! Yes, I have already watched them because I am ill at home and I have already cried because I am a woman :lol: The first one was very powerful and the second one was full of poetry, almost like a dance... I was surprised it could be so moving in such a short time. I cannot imagine something more satisying than making art for a good cause, I will send both to my friends.

I do agree, creativity has so many more colours and shapes than we can imagine. I find documentaries especially interesting because there is about a million points of view from which you can see the same piece of reality... Anyway, thank you so much for the inspiring post!

Good luck for your future projects!!!:yep:

Last edited:

Aviah

They don't have corporate jobs, so they don't feel pressured by corporate society to conform. Or do you just mean people who do these things in addition to their job?

I meant both those who do it for a living and others who do it on the side.

^^some artist do indeed have corporate jobs (such as myself)...a true artist will find a way to showcase their artistry even in the most sterile environments imo. Artist sometimes get "professional jobs" because not everyone supports the arts.

Now back to the topic...OP

Who really knows why? Maybe some artist believe that their hair is yet another means to be creative and therefore they "live their art" by standing outside of the norm.

I was an artist long before I went natural so for me there was no real connection between my art and my hair...

Same for me. But I figured it would be different for different people.

I'm an artist (actress, writer, and now also producer) and I don't really care. I'm natural but I would wear my hair straight or curly in a heartbeat. I have thought about relaxing (for easier maintanence if you see my hair is very dense but also I have tons of fine hair so detangling takes a long time), but there is this innate urge in me not to. IDK what it is and don't think it has anything to do with being an artist. BUT I will say I do like expressing myself. And also I'd like to add that conforming is not something I'm intersted in which is also why I didn't go for the typical dread writer look because to me that's conforming too. I guess my idea of being me is doing what I want when I want independent of what anyone thinks (artist or not) natural or not...and if that means going against the grain of everyone then I'm fine, as long as I'm being true to me (which sometimes could mean that at first glance you'd think I'm conforming). BUT my definition of conforming has nothing to do with looking like another it's trying to be like someone else. Like everyone is doing this. BUT I feel it's just as bad to do the opposite just to proveyou're not like everyone else because I think you're still caring about what others think lol. I think the truest way, for me, is to just do my thing regardless of what any one thinks whether I straighten, wear braids, or whatever it's just an expression of what I currently want to do.

ITA. Anti-conformity is just another form of conformity.

Aviah

eh, i know it's some of both out there, natural and folks that arent. i think it's just preference.

I believe its a preference too, just wondering why the trend, does their way of thinking about art influence their way of thinking about hair or is it just one of those things?

Curlykale

I believe its a preference too, just wondering why the trend, does their way of thinking about art influence their way of thinking about hair or is it just one of those things?

Maybe it depends on the content of their art and their cultural influences, and on the meaning that natural hair has for each one of them. On the tools they choose to communicate something, and why. Some artists communicate their vision through their body art, clothes, hair and whole life as well. Thinking of Andy Warhol. Others don't. But since art is such a spiritual thing, I think each artist creates his or her own symbology, which is dependent and independent at ther same time from trends and culture. They absorb languages, elaborate them, and create new ones, and each artist does it in a different way and for different reasons. This makes it very difficult to understand if there is a relation between natural hair and art.

Last edited:

Aviah

Maybe it depends on the content of their art and their cultural influences, and on the meaning that natural hair has for each one of them. On the tools they choose to communicate something, and why. Some artists communicate their vision through their body art, clothes, hair and whole life as well. Thinking of Andy Warhol. Others don't. But since art is such a spiritual thing, I think each artist creates his or her own symbology, which is dependent and independent at ther same time from trends and culture. They absorb languages, elaborate them, and create new ones, and each artist does it in a different way and for different reasons. This makes it very difficult to understand if there is a relation between natural hair and art.

Very good point. I was trying to articulate the possibility that symbolism may come into but had a hard time so just left it out of my last post. For me I love it, not because its directly related to writing poetry, but because its an expression of my mindset. Initially I was just drawn to it for the look but now I've been natural for a few years I find that its more "free" for me. Just more "me" in general, but obviously I do flat iron from time to time. Still I find it interesting for people to speak on their art form and their hair, even if there won't be a straightforward answer for everyone.

ActionActress

We've all seen it before. Poets, Authors, Film Makers, Singers, Songwriters, Instrumentalists, etc- who are natural. Its become a little of a stereotype, especially among the poets I see/ hear of (I write also). My question is: Why?
For me being natural and writing poetry are different things, (as it probably is for so many) but I'm just curious about the different reasons behind the many artists that are natural or not, or what link if any there is between the two...

I think it is the free spirit involved. Being an artist isn't necessarily "corporate". The freedom to express. To be me.

In some indirect way it can be connected. The artist is usually free to express self and be self.(Not ditching the relaxed people..they can be self too. )

AA

ActionActress

Luckiestdestiny,

I am guarding my screenplays also(All science fiction and adventure). I intend to direct mine and I am also opening an LLC to get something going.

We's got to talk lady!

AA

empressri

put it this way, if folks feel the need to do something because they're an artist or what have you...they aint nothing but a jive a$$ turkey cause they're just following a trend. i knew someone like that too.

ah! i have a good example, i knew a well known musician that decided to grow locs. not because of his status...but because a girl he was with one day started randomly twisting his hair, and he decided he liked it and just kept it. lol no method to his madness.

Aviah

put it this way, if folks feel the need to do something because they're an artist or what have you...they aint nothing but a jive a$$ turkey cause they're just following a trend. i knew someone like that too.

ah! i have a good example, i knew a well known musician that decided to grow locs. not because of his status...but because a girl he was with one day started randomly twisting his hair, and he decided he liked it and just kept it. lol no method to his madness.

:lachen: I'm sure those do happen. Just something I noticed. I'll let it go now...

PinkGirlFluff

I think that maybe artist do not care as much about conforming. Hair style stops becoming about what other people are going to think and more about what you think looks awesome. What is odd in my own experience is that I stopped creating for a while and when I decided to go natural I started creating again. I know people make fun of the whole "natural hair enlightenment theory" but that is what happened. I was relaxing my hair, not because I liked it but because I thought that is what I had to do. Which is the same reason I stopped creating.

Gosh, I so envy the individuals that get to create for a living. Corporate America is a place where dreams go to die! lol.

Solitude

I think this is a big part of it.

A couple of years ago, I was discussing this with a friend when we noticed a lot of our liberal arts professors have natural hair. With tenure, they can do whatever they want basically.

All of my favorite black female writers have been natural for years and years. But, I think it's political for them.