• 30-35

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 35-40

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • More than 40

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i always do my twists on damp, nearly dry hair so i dont have to worry about them taking too long to dry.
i usually do about 17-22 twists but if i want a chunkier look i do about 10 twists. i almost never do braids because i just cant seem to get it right like my twist outs.

8-12braids, but I do it on hair that is already dry---it would take almost 3days for my hair to air dry in braids, or 4-5hrs under a dryer--No M'am!
I lightly spritz the finished braids/twists with rose water for a nice overnight set though.

Last edited:
i always do my twists on damp, nearly dry hair so i dont have to worry about them taking too long to dry.
i usually do about 17-22 twists but if i want a chunkier look i do about 10 twists. i almost never do braids because i just cant seem to get it right like my twist outs.

See that's funny because the only time I attempted a twist out it just looked like a messed up wash n go on me...but I liked my braid out much more.

All of my twists and braids dry overnight. :look: I wait until my hair is damp before I start braiding or twisting. I do 15-20 twists for twistouts and about 10-15 braids for braidouts.

Here's a braidout

36bd2519.jpg

0953227e-1.jpg

If I'm doing a fluffy braid out..Just 6 big braids...If I want it more define..10-15......

Happy Hair Growing!

Opps my bad! I voted before I even read the thread :(

It depends on the look I am going for. The twist out in my current avatar was way over 50 twists, the twist out in my signature was somewhere around 30 or so I would guess....but technique is more important than how many braids/twists you put in imo. I can get a fierce braidout with 6 braids if I use a good technique.

Also, the best twistouts (like the ones in my avi) for me comes from twists that have been worn for a few days so that the pattern has time to set. I usually cowash or wash my hair first, then proceed to add moisturizer+ aloe gel, twist or braid my hair and wear the style for a few days (or weeks) then take them down....

Last edited:
I agree with most of the advice given Elle. My best twist outs are done on hair that has "set" for at least 12 hours. Products also help determine how well it turns out for me.

Twist outs are my staple summer style. I was doing chunky ones 6-10 twists on damp 60-80% dry hair with a three layer product technique. Now I'm using Naptura85 twist out technique with nearly 20 twists, but since its already separated it comes out nice and defined.

My hair is about 3 inches and I have to put in at least 30 twists to have a defined twist out. My best twist outs are on dry hair refreshed at night with my aloe vera spritz, my leave in, and sealed with shea butter. On wash/cowash days, my twists aren't nearly as defined because I'm styling on damper hair (I use a t-shirt to remove the excess water). I'm okay with the less defined look though. Either way, my hair is dry after 6 hours or overnight. If I did larger/fewer twists, my hair wouldn't be dry in the morning and wouldn't have much definition at all.

I did a twist out last night with 6 flat twist to the back pics are in my fotki in 2011 folder. I think next time I will do 10 my hair was dry and I sprayed them with Elasta QP
h20

34 braids!??!!??! Elle, thats enough for a whole hairstyle in itself lol...

i dont do braids but i've done twists and i do about 10-15...usually i do it on an old WnG and spritz each section with water/condish/avg so its damp but not soaking...in the morning its dry and has good definition.

eta: i've seen ppl on YT do amazing braidouts with 2-4 braids...omg i cant wait...

If you are just doing it for a twist out or braid out, I don't think you need that many. Just give it time to set. If you can cornrow easy, those people seem to need the least, like 5 big cornrows. I can get by with around 12 twists for a twist out on stretched hair, or if I'm letting it wet set (so the twist out will not be as fluffy), 20-25 twists. I don't do braids because they take too long to put in and especially take out.

If you are just doing it for a twist out or braid out, I don't think you need that many. Just give it time to set. If you can cornrow easy, those people seem to need the least, like 5 big cornrows. I can get by with around 12 twists for a twist out on stretched hair, or if I'm letting it wet set (so the twist out will not be as fluffy), 20-25 twists. I don't do braids because they take too long to put in and especially take out.

I WISH I could cornrow!!! My life would be complete...

If I do a braidout (which is rare), I do about 4-6 braids and put perm rods on the ends. If I do a twistout, I'll do about 8 twists on hair that is damp with product. If my hair is really wet, I'll sit under the hooded dryer for 20 minutes or so-I can't go to bed with a wet head.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

i do about 30 twists on either wet or dry hair. i just make sure to go light on the leave ins/moisturizers. i've found those make my hair take longer to dry.

i've never left twists in my hair for days just to let it set. they are ready to go when i take them down the next morning (after putting them in around 11 or 12 the previous night)

I wasn't really sure how to answer the question because it really depends. If I'm gonna twist all of my hair, I'm guessing I probably do between 35-40 twists, maybe more.

If I'm immediately planning to do a twist-out, I just do about 8-10 two-strand flat twists.

I always do anywhere from 15-20 twists for my twistouts which I wear 90% of the time. It's the perfect number for me to get the definition I want, and then when I retwist it doesn't take long to do.

Learn HOW! Girl, I am 32yrs old and just learned!!!....It's so exciting because the more I do it the better I get~

Omg I really want to! I need to find someone to teach me...I know that cornrows are basically little french braids but I've never been good with small braids...I'm all fumbly (not a word, I know).

Oh and thank you for the compliment!

I do about 10-11 twists/braids for twist/braid-outs. When my hair was shorter, I had to do like 20-25. So, the longer it gets the less I'd have to do.

OP, I am with Winnetag. I would never expect a braid-out or twist-out to set in a day or overnight. Usually I would braid/twist in a way that I'm happy to wear as a style for a few days and rock that style for a spell, and then when I'm tired of it, I'd enjoy my braid-out or twist-out before I started the process all over again.

This way I am not constantly manipulating my hair and causing it stress...and it doesn't feel like it's a job or an unfinished task that is a "means" to something but rather part of the fun of enjoying my hair.

i really like this train of thought:yep:

and as the hair gets longer you get away with less. i never bothered with twistouts when my hair was short. i currently like 8-10 twists/braids or 6 flat twist/cornrows

I am still in the process of transitioning. I usually will do 5-6 plaits and fluff them out. Also, I have realized that a little goes a long was with product and the key is to massage it through. I only use two products, a leave in for my hair and something for may scalp. I was using too much and it took my hair that much longer to dry. Finally, I got my hands on a perforated triangle satin scarf so I can tie my hair down but air can get in and get it dry.

I do about 12-16 for braidouts. I do the braids on damp hair. My hair is thick so it would never dry in braids.

It depends on the size of the waves you want and how thick/long your hair is. The 20 braids on a thick haired person would create deeper waves than that of a thin haired person. I don't do braidouts much at all. My hair gets really dry and knotty from them among other problems.

My Avatar is four braids.

I prefer the look of 2 cornrows out on semidry hair...I let my hair airdry 90% then add leave in and braid.. or I put 10-15 plaits in... eitherway its always on semidry hair..I find that my hair is so thick and holds the pattern too much...I like looser waves and some hangtime...

I do 6 flat twists/cornrows straight back on damp, towel blotted hair. I don't have the time or patience to do singles and the flat twists/cornrows come out better. I wash early in the AM and slap on my beanie like a half wig and wear it like that for the week. Then I do the twist/braid out for the weekend and repeat the next week.

Back