How much does two-strand twists costs?

Tru_Mind

I called a salon that specializes in natural hairstyles and I asked them how much it would cost to do two-strand twists. I could not believe it...she told me $130! /images/graemlins/mad.gif My hair is short! No way am I going to pay $130 for short hair!

How much does it cost for you ladies to get your two-strand twists done by a professional? Is this too much? A friend with super-long hair only paid $30.

I tried and I can't do it myself, because they unravel.

Ayeshia

Actually thats a good price...They take extremely long and it seems as if we have similar hair types and my har is short too...I paid 120 I believe and it was worth it. It took about 10 hours though /images/graemlins/frown.gif It depends on who does them. The professional ones look best. Ive seen people get them done at someones house and they weren't cute at all. Did your friend use her own hair? Usually the cost of the twists include the packs of hair and labor.

Tru_Mind

No she didn't do her own hair...she has toooooo much hair.

My friend used her own hair and I want to too. Maybe they didn't understand that I wanted to use my own hair. Dang I wish that I could do them myself. Have you ever tried putting two-strand twist in your hair? Dreamypisces done it with no problem.

Tru_Mind

I just looked at Dreamypisces two-strand twists I thought that she used own hair...I don't want weave. I've never had weave and I don't think that I will feel comfortable with weave.

oglorious1

Mixologist
[ QUOTE ]
tru_mind said:
I called a salon that specializes in natural hairstyles and I asked them how much it would cost to do two-strand twists. I could not believe it...she told me $130! /images/graemlins/mad.gif My hair is short! No way am I going to pay $130 for short hair!

How much does it cost for you ladies to get your two-strand twists done by a professional? Is this too much? A friend with super-long hair only paid $30.

I tried and I can't do it myself, because they unravel.

[/ QUOTE ]
actually $130 is a good price, a lot of salons start at $150 and up, I've paid as much as $175.00...will never do that again...

Tru_Mind

[ QUOTE ]
blkbuttahflyy said:
In Maryland, I paid $70 using just my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that's more like it!!!!!!

hOnii

[ QUOTE ]
tru_mind said:
Is this too much? A friend with super-long hair only paid $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, thats not too much. it takes time.. reguardless of how short the style. if your friend payed 30 she probably didnt get them done professionally. thats always another option.

Tru_Mind

[ QUOTE ]
hOnii said:
[ QUOTE ]
tru_mind said:
Is this too much? A friend with super-long hair only paid $30.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi HOnii!
Even if I use my own hair?
no, thats not too much. it takes time.. reguardless of how short the style. if your friend payed 30 she probably didnt get them done professionally. thats always another option.

[/ QUOTE ]

ladylibra_30

i have a friend who is natural & bra-strap-length and gets two-strand twist (flat twist in the front) once a week at natural trensetters in ft. lauderdale, fl and i doubt that she pays more than $35.00-$40.00 each visit.

btw-she gets wash/condition/blow-dry for this price. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mkstar826

supersonic
if they are NOT going to add hair, it should only cost between 40-60 bucks in my opinion. I think $130 is bogus for added hair too though, lol.

I really think you can learn to do them yourself though for FREE. What product are you using to do them? How many times have you tried to do them?

Tru_Mind

[ QUOTE ]
mkstar826 said:
if they are NOT going to add hair, it should only cost between 40-60 bucks in my opinion. I think $130 is bogus for added hair too though, lol.

I really think you can learn to do them yourself though for FREE. What product are you using to do them? How many times have you tried to do them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi mkstar!
I tried doing them with gel at least three times. I gave up. I thought that maybe if I pay once to have them done I could see how it's done and copy...but I don't want to pay $130.

Tru_Mind

I'm going to call that salon tomorrow and explain to them that I want it done on my natural hair and my natural hair is short.

lovelyme

have you tried braiding it a few rotations then twisting? i had the same problem until i did that along w/ twisting on damp hair & using rollers on the ends until my hair dried. hth /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
tru_mind said:
I just looked at Dreamypisces two-strand twists I thought that she used own hair...I don't want weave. I've never had weave and I don't think that I will feel comfortable with weave.

[/ QUOTE ]

they usually add hair with two strand twists..I have them in my album as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
mkstar826 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah it is pretty bogus but I would prolly charge that much too if it took ten hours /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Like my head did /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

I thought you were talking about extensions...you can do them yourself, practice. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mkstar826

supersonic
[ QUOTE ]
tru_mind said:
[ QUOTE ]
mkstar826 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi mkstar!
I tried doing them with gel at least three times. I gave up. I thought that maybe if I pay once to have them done I could see how it's done and copy...but I don't want to pay $130.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I would try another product. For me gel never worked on twists. I eventually just starting twisting with no product at all. Now that it's colder I'm using coconut oil. I think if you have to use a product, something like a butter or pomade would work well. (Elasta QP Mango Butter or Salon Selective Molding putty are two good ones) I have a guide to twisting in my album if you want to try again before you have to pay. Here's the link:

http://public.fotki.com/melanizm13/natural_hair_care/taking_care_of_natu/pictorial_guides/

Just scroll down to the twists/twist-out section /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DragonPearl

Good advices, mkstar826.

Tru, you CAN learn how to twist. As with everything, practice makes perfect. Don't get discouraged, and keep trying. You can try twisting your hair wet or dry. If they tend to unravel, you can braid the hair at the base and twist the rest. EXPERIMENT. Good luck!