How much gel is 'too much'?

tash85

I have been trying out various techniques to define my natural 4a hair. The best method I found was to style and smooth using a denman brush and some gel

at the moment I am shampoo washing and co-washing once a week (washing twice in total) and using the gel method on both occasions.

I usually wash (with shampoo or conditioner), do a light protein treatment (aphogee 2minute or doo gro) then a 30+ minute deep condition with ORS replenishing conditioner (sometimes I'll add a little baking soda to it). My hair always feel super soft after every wash. I then wash it out and apply leave in and EVOO to my soaking wet hair and as I detangle through with my denman, I smooth in some gel.

I have tried aloe gel and ic fanstasia but find Eco styler to be the best; I was so happy when I found this in the uk, it gives me the most amazing curl definition and hold. I would love to try some of the other curl defining products available eg miss Jessies but it Is both out of my willing-to-pay price range and impossible to get over here. In addition to the gel, I respray a good amount of leave in to my hair everyday until it is damp.

My issue is that as a novice, I am concerned about whether or not a prolonged and ample use of gel will do anything to my hair. I have not noticed any changes in my hair health although it is a little crunchy on day1

should I be concerned? Does alcohol free gel have any known adverse affects on hair health? Should I change my technique?

Help a slightly neurotic sister out!:drunk:

You have to just listen to your hair. I only use gel that has no alcohol. When I used a protein gel, I could tell on wash days that my hair just "felt" different. Now, I only use gel to smoothe my hair down when I'm wearing a bun (which has been almost every day). I do not put gel on the length/ ends of my hair (unless I'm yearning for some knots):rolleyes:.

For me any kind of gel is a no-no. I still remember, I used gel (let's jam) about 16 years ago for a simple ponytail. My hair broke off something terrible. Since then I have never, ever touched the stuff again.

^^^^ oohh your scaring me now! My hair still feels good when I wash it and im not seeing any breakage. It even feels soft with the gel on it.

Im just a little worried, my hair has had gel on it in some capacity for the last 2 weeks! im just loving the style and the definition.

When I first started wearing my hair curly I used gel in it everyday for about a year. But since my hair is almost apl and really, really thick, it takes to much work to put gel in my hair everyday. Mostly I use water and scurl. I see no harm in using gel it just depends on your hair. Also I don't care anymore if all my curls are defined, I am liking the curly frizzy look know.

Listen to your hair. I did wash n gos for a year with KCCC with no problems. I do smoothing with a denman and hairveda whipped gelly or Afroveda pur gelly too, with no problems. I make sure everything I use is alcohol free, which the Ecostyler and fantasia IC both are; I think so long as you pay attention to your hair, keep it properly moisturized and strong, you should be okay. If you feel it start to be stiff or break, then you know you may have a problem, but I think you're fine :yep:.

An alcohol free gel has never harmed my hair. I used to have to use a whole ton to get the curl def I wanted.:rolleyes: You may want to cut down the shampoo use if it has any sulfates in it. I love ecostyler gel, but it still is not better than the very expensive Kinky curling custard. If I could learn how to get multiple day hair from ecostyler gel, then I would be very happy!:yep::cloud9:

Back