How often can you use hair gel?

ravenhairedcharm

How often can you use hair gel in a week without having it having detrimental effects to your hair? I was thinking about wearing a bun for a couple of days this week, but I want to know how often I can use hair gel to slick back my hair without washing. I normally wash my hair once a week. If I use hair gel one day, and reapply it the next morning without washing is this bad?

Note: Last week I wore a bun for the first time, but at the end of the day, I rewet the areas where I applied the gel and applied leave in conditioner so that my hair would be re-moisturized? Is this right? :confused: (I only used gel once on that specific day, so I never reapplied it and I'm washing my hair today).

KoriKiyomi

I hardly ever use gel. I'm starting to keep it simple. If I'm wearing a wash n go and I want smooth edges, I will gel them down but I will wash it out the next day. Since I started using less products my hair has retained a lot of length.

Embyra

I use eco styler EVERY WEEK and leave it in for a week i cowash once a week im mid back now in length its never caused me an problems retaining

Bun Mistress

I use gel when I wash about two to three times a week. Why don't you use the scarf method for your sides? If I wear a bun I will use moistueizer and a scarf around my egdes the bout before or for an hour that morning.

ravenhairedcharm

Thank you all for being so helpful!

I use gel when I wash about two to three times a week. Why don't you use the scarf method for your sides? If I wear a bun I will use moistueizer and a scarf around my egdes the bout before or for an hour that morning.

Yes, I used a scarf to tie down my hair that time to make it smoother. Do you think if I used gel on Monday, use the scarf, THEN on Tuesday, rewet it a little add a little leave-in or whatever (so it doesn't look old) and tie it down I will get the same effect? Ok typing that out it made a little lightbulb go off in my head :drunk: lol

kupenda

I think have to see what works best for your hair. Last week I used gel every other day and the scarf method every day. This allowed me
to have smooth edges even i didn't gel my hair down again. Also, my DCer and leave in are pretty good so I no longer have to moisturize if I don't want to. Do you cowash? When I go to the gym I just let water run through my hair and use a conditioner if I need it. This breaks up any gel that may have hardened and allows you to manipulate the hair better

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SuchaLady

I use gel once a week. Less after a touch up, more the deeper into a stretch. Try using a stronger one. I use Eco Styler once a week and rarely have to retouch.

beautyaddict1913

I think it depends on what type of gel you use. I wet bunned everyday for a month between January and February, which means that I was co-washing daily and applying gel daily. I used Claudie's gel, Qhemet gel, and Koils by Nature gel. I didnt have any issues. I shampooed with a sulfate free cleanser once per week during this time and sometimes used a co-cleanser (Curl Junkie Daily Fix) in the middle of the week.

ravenhairedcharm

I think have to see what works best for your hair. Last week I used gel every other day and the scarf method every day. This allowed me
to have smooth edges even i didn't gel my hair down again. Also, my DCer and leave in are pretty good so I no longer have to moisturize if I don't want to. Do you cowash? When I go to the gym I just let water run through my hair and use a conditioner if I need it. This breaks up any gel that may have hardened and allows you to manipulate the hair better

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

No, I don't cowash, but I spray some water and apply leave-in at the end of the day so it isn't crunchy and dry. I wash at the end of the week.

I think it depends on what type of gel you use. I wet bunned everyday for a month between January and February, which means that I was co-washing daily and applying gel daily. I used Claudie's gel, Qhemet gel, and Koils by Nature gel. I didnt have any issues. I shampooed with a sulfate free cleanser once per week during this time and sometimes used a co-cleanser (Curl Junkie Daily Fix) in the middle of the week.

Thanks, I'm thinking about switching over to a more natural gel. I have to finish using what I have for now which is the Ecostyler gel and that Ampro stuff.