Too Soft Hair - Overconditioned?

Neith

I find that if I don't use gel after washing my hair, it is VERY soft, has increased breakage, looks dull and lighter colored and feels feathery light.

I use leave - in, jojoba oil and gel in my hair.

I only use gel ONCE a week, right after washing. As long as I do that, my hair is fine.

If I don't, weird fluffy hair. Leave - in and oil don't help.

Could the gel be hiding overconditioned hair? It makes it harder and heavier. It just looks all around better, shiner, darker and feels like normal hair.

I have just done an aphogee treatment a week ago. Is it possible for it to still be overconditioned even after hardcore protein?

I just find it weird that my hair NEEDS this gel.

I use aubrey organics B5 gel... natural gel with no glycerin or silicones.

I use IC fantasia gel very rarely, only if I run out of the Aubrey Organic gel.

LivingDoll

Most gels have a form of protein...wheat, silk, keratin....etc. I think the protein makes your hair stronger. :yep:

LunadeMiel

Seems like your hair may be over moisturized. Try a protein treatment

oh I wish I could have that problem...:ohwell:

JustKiya

I'm surprised it still feels like that after a hardcore treatment - it definitely sounds like it might be a bit overmoisturized.

Have you tried a low-Ph rinse to be sure your cuticles are closed tight?

You might wanna do a slightly milder protein treatment, and see what your hair thinks...

Neith

I did use an aphogee treatment. It is the same.

Water (Deionized), Aloe Vera (Organic), Gum Arabic (Organic), Tragacanth Gum, Rosa Mosqueta Rose Hip Seed Oil (Organic), Inositol, Sulfer Containing Amino Acids (Methionine and Cysteine), Horse Chestnut Extract, Horsetail Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Nettle Extract, Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Biotin, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, C, E), Balsam Oil (Organic), Orange Oil (Organic)

There are the ingredients. It does contain protein, but so does my leave - in conditioner (giovanni direct)

Neith

I'm surprised it still feels like that after a hardcore treatment - it definitely sounds like it might be a bit overmoisturized.

Have you tried a low-Ph rinse to be sure your cuticles are closed tight?

You might wanna do a slightly milder protein treatment, and see what your hair thinks...

I'll try a acv rinse next wash day :yep:

I co washed with aubrey organics GPB yesterday. No improvement. Maybe I'll DC with it next wash day too.

Irresistible

I have never experienced overmoisturized so I dont know, didnt even know it was possible

I think your just used to how your hair feels with Gel and thats 'normal' to you. Not that there is something wrong with your hair without it because it doesnt feel right to you. I cant stand how my hair feels with no product, oils/butters/leave ins thats just the 'feel' I am used to and anything else feels wrong, if your doing protein already I doubt its over moisturized or not strong

Irresistible

I did use an aphogee treatment. It is the same.

Water (Deionized), Aloe Vera (Organic), Gum Arabic (Organic), Tragacanth Gum, Rosa Mosqueta Rose Hip Seed Oil (Organic), Inositol, Sulfer Containing Amino Acids (Methionine and Cysteine), Horse Chestnut Extract, Horsetail Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Nettle Extract, Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Biotin, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, C, E), Balsam Oil (Organic), Orange Oil (Organic)

There are the ingredients. It does contain protein, but so does my leave - in conditioner (giovanni direct)
very good ingredients! maybe your hair just likes this product and you like your hair with it in it!

Irresistible

Screech! ur putting protein in your hair daily with a leave in and the gel and still doing the hard core one? do you feel your hair needs that or somethin?

Neith

I have never experienced overmoisturized so I dont know, didnt even know it was possible

I think your just used to how your hair feels with Gel and thats 'normal' to you. Not that there is something wrong with your hair without it because it doesnt feel right to you. I cant stand how my hair feels with no product, oils/butters/leave ins thats just the 'feel' I am used to and anything else feels wrong, if your doing protein already I doubt its over moisturized or not strong

Good point.

I did have more breakage though.

Nothing excessive and freaky, but more than twice the amount that I usually get with detangling.

It also seemed that it wanted to break/shed the whole time it is wet, which isn't normal for me. When it's dry with no gel, it doesn't break.

I keep experimenting, to see if my hair will behave without gel. I add the gel in and can see an automatic improvement.

Neith

Screech! ur putting protein in your hair daily with a leave in and the gel and still doing the hard core one? do you feel your hair needs that or somethin?

The hardcore is only every 6 weeks. Cuz I do have a relaxer and want to keep it healthy.

I just assumed that light proteins are okay to use. Always seemed moisturzing to me. The direct leave in is soybean protein based I think. My hair likes the gioanni and loves this gel.

Hmmm... maybe I'll see what it does with just gel and oil.

Irresistible

The hardcore is only every 6 weeks. Cuz I do have a relaxer and want to keep it healthy.

I just assumed that light proteins are okay to use. Always seemed moisturzing to me. The direct leave in is soybean protein based I think. My hair likes the gioanni and loves this gel.

Hmmm... maybe I'll see what it does with just gel and oil.

oh ok, yeah thats fine I think, but if your using them daily , maybe for your bigger protein treatment, get one a little less hardcore maybe? because your already getting plenty on a regular basis. maybe your hair is addicted to one or more of the ingredients in the gel. it can happen , then your automatically responds to that, that happened to my daughter with glycerine, I had literally withdraw her hair off of it. What about your porosity , have you checked into that?

well dont worry girl as long as its working keep giving your hair what it likes as long as there is no downside to it later

Irresistible

Good point.

I did have more breakage though.

Nothing excessive and freaky, but more than twice the amount that I usually get with detangling.

It also seemed that it wanted to break/shed the whole time it is wet, which isn't normal for me. When it's dry with no gel, it doesn't break.

I keep experimenting, to see if my hair will behave without gel. I add the gel in and can see an automatic improvement.

u comb ur hair while dry with gel in it? and thats when it doesnt break? but its breaking while wet? without the gel in it?

hmmm I would think dry w/gel would be the circumstances it would break more under......this is different

Neith

oh ok, yeah thats fine I think, but if your using them daily , maybe for your bigger protein treatment, get one a little less hardcore maybe? because your already getting plenty on a regular basis. maybe your hair is addicted to one or more of the ingredients in the gel. it can happen , then your automatically responds to that, that happened to my daughter with glycerine, I had literally withdraw her hair off of it. What about your porosity , have you checked into that?

well dont worry girl as long as its working keep giving your hair what it likes as long as there is no downside to it later

I stay away from glycerin too.

I always assumed that my hair has low porosity since it is super resistant. I tried porosity tests, my hair passes with flying colors. You know the one that you put a hair in water and see how long it takes to sink? My hair doesn't sink at all :ohwell: lol

I dunno. I just have it in my head that healthy hair will be okay with no product, low product or even good product that jut may not be ideal for that persons hair. Maybe less soft and less shiny, but not having breakage.

Neith

u comb ur hair while dry with gel in it? and thats when it doesnt break? but its breaking while wet? without the gel in it?

hmmm I would think dry w/gel would be the circumstances it would break more under......this is different

No, I don't comb it while it's dry unless I want a true frizz ball. :lol: I'll try that and take pictures now.

It breaks while wet with no gel in it, when it's dry without gel it doesn't break, but it doesn't seem moisturized, is extremely soft and even looks lighter/redder in color.

It doesn't break at any point with the gel.

Irresistible

No, I don't comb it while it's dry unless I want a true frizz ball. :lol: I'll try that and take pictures now.

It breaks while wet with no gel in it, when it's dry without gel it doesn't break, but it doesn't seem moisturized, is extremely soft and even looks lighter/redder in color.

It doesn't break at any point with the gel.

my hair is light, whispy, and lighter in color too with no product. I dont know whats up with the breakage but that might be a normal amount and your just worrying about it, but its normal for your hair to feel totally different naked. I cant deal with my hair naked, wet for a while yeah,but as it dries no, it shrinks 200 percent and gets massive and is dry! It will litterally begin to wrap around istelf. So I never let that happen. Well its good you have a product that your hair loves and works good for you, thats half the battle