How much of the info on LHCF did you already know?

I knew to minimize heat. I also had a lot of good products already. I just wasn't using them.

Last edited:
I knew a good amount about hair care. I was already doing protective styles and trimming when needed. I really didn't know about supplements and the real value of protein/ treatments for the hair.

I knew about minimal heat but something was missing. I needed a regimen to organize my haircare. LHCF gave my the means and sooooo much more.

I knew about deep conditioning, I knew too much heat was bad, and I knew that my hair needed moisture (but I didn't know how to properly moisturize and seal). That's pretty much all I knew.

I knew about deep conditioning but I didn't do it. I never knew about clarifying, moisturizing, or protein treatments until this board.

Incredible1ne said:
I knew about deep conditioning but I didn't do it. I never knew about clarifying, moisturizing, or protein treatments until this board.
Same here.

There was one really important thing that I did not know and learned only on LHCF -- and that was about overlapping and stretching relaxers. Back when my hair was relaxed regularly, the stylist would often say that it needed to be pulled through to the ends every once in a while.

Combing hair from the ends up and dusting. Everything else I learned from all of the great ladies here on the forum. Thanks a bunch ;) .

CO washing, and the difference between BAQ henna and compound henna are the things that I've learned here at LHCF. I've also picked up a tiny bit of PJism, but I only try something new when it's time to buy anyway.

I knew a little but I didn't have much knowledge about products and ingredients. That's where LHCF kicked in.

I already knwe to limit heat and to wash at least once each week. I had a deep conditioner but it wasn't until I came to the boards I actually knew how important it was. Other than those tid bits of information, I knwe nothing else.

Rollersets, wash and condition once a week. That was about it. I had limited product knowledge until I came on LHCF. It was just cream of nature, queen helene cholesterol and infusium 23 for me. :lol:

What I didn't know....

*co washing
*deep conditioning
*bagging
*I didn't know that you were suppose to deep condition after putting in color (the breakage was off the hook) :eek:
*protective styling
*didn't know hair care forums existed before 2005
*about fotki's
*MTG
*moisturizing (never let water near my hair more than once a month on wash day prior to joining LHCF)
*stretching relaxers (when I was relaxed I'd put a perm in my hair every 5 weeks faithfully :eek: and couldn't figure out for the life of me why my ends were thin and straggly:perplexed .....ended up going natural because my hair was very see through from root to tip :( ) been natural now for over 10 years :D now if I can just start retaining every inch that grows out of my head...thank God for digital cameras and tracking progress! :yep:
*didn't know that I could style my hair and have it look really cute without the use of heat

What I did know....

*vitamins (been taking them religiously for 20 years)
*dusting (I called it clipping my ends)
*keeping my hair in braids helped me retain length, but (see the 4th asterisk in what I didn't know :rolleyes: )
*I exercised for health (didn't know it was having a positive effect on my hair)

I already knew about good health for my body, like vitamins, flaxseed and flaxseed oil, a healthy diet, drinking lots of water :fat:, daily exercise.

I knew nothing about haircare which is very good-- I started out with a clean slate! ;)
Everything I've learned were like gifts and surprises, one after the other! As you can see from my posts, I'm still on LHCF a lot, always looking forward to the next gift! :)

I already knew about: Protective/Low Maintainance Styling, Bagging, Limiting Heat Usage and Stretching Relaxers. Everything else I learned from LHCF. :)

Things i ALREADY KNEW:
*DC-ing
*limiting direct heat
*sleeping with satin scarf
*the growth potential of using WGHO

Things i LEARNED from LHCF:
*mixing sulfur powder with my WGHO
*protecting my ends to retain length
*hair supplements

ella said:
A stylist told me to use a satin scarf at night to preserve my salon-do

other then that...

NOTHING!

This is exactly what I knew. Other than that I was told I could do anything and have healthy long hair. What a joke.....:lol:

Jewell said:
Maybe about 60-70% of the info I already knew, because I have been a hair book/hair magazine fanatic for years now. I didn't know about the supplements (have known about biotin and have taken that for 4 years now) like Flaxseed Oil, MSM, Silica, L-Cysteine, etc. Didn't think hard about protective styling. Knew about trimming. Didn't think of the benefits of stretching a touch-up. Knew about the dangers of heat, hair colors with peroxide/ammonia (<-- that one by trial and error, :lol: ), alcohol in hair products. Didn't know mineral oil and petroleum were bad for hair. Knew about CO washes, and on and on...

Pretty much the same here... especially the bolded parts. LHCF really gives me a bit of an outlet to talk with women with the same goals. Not so much teaching me a whole, whole lot. Although I've learned a few things, I don't practice most because they don't work for me. But others have.

I knew very little :giggle:

But I knew I was only suppose to relax my new growth, wear satin scarves at night time, stretching relaxers and hmmm...That's about it! lol

Last edited:
All I knew pre-LHCF: wearing satin caps at night or sleeping on a satin pillow case is mandatory and that heat is awful for your hair...I thought heat was a guilty pleasure, I didn't know about using heat protectants and i actually had 2 containers of it in my bathroom but I used them as glossers to make my weave shiny lol...

I just joined in Feb 2010 and I have learned so much that my friends and fam are calling me a hairoligist lol...I thought all relaxed black hair was prone to breakage and hair that wasn't breaking was because of genetics or having a good stylist that you visit weekly!

I had no ideas about protein/moisture balance...I was faithful to "ethnic" hair products, especially doogro and paid little attention to how they made my hair feel. I washed my hair with mane n tail or cream of nature and I saturated my whole head with shampoo instead of just applying to my scalp...Now I read the ingredients in every single hair product just like I read nutrition info on food products...I used to only read what the label promised that the product would do, and I had the nerve to be upset when it didnt do that on my hair lol...I once believed that products not procedures made a person's hair flourish....and after LHCF I began to avoid silicones, mineral oil, petrolatum and sulfates like the plague!

Before LHCF, I didn't know zilch about hair care. The only thing I did for my hair was protective style with extensions, and that was because I was too lazy to do anything else with it!

I didn't know too much. I knew to rollerset and wrap. I never used heat but I didn't know how bad it was.

I knew to deep condition, but I didn't do it regularly. I always wore my hair in a protective style but it wasn't helping because my hair was dry.

I didn't know about stretching relaxers but I did that anyway, I only relaxed once or twice a year before coming here.

Everything else I learned when I came here.

I knew VERY little sadly enuff.. BUT Ive become so knowledgable espec when it comes to taking care of my natural hair!!

I wore a satin cap to preserve salon fresh hair styles..
I figured out the low manipulation when I realised that when I didnt mess with my hair too much my stylist didint 'have to cut my ends'

I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I was protective styling and didnt even know till I found all that growth when I pulled out my weave. Actually I new relaxers were the debil!!!

Back