How much protein is too much?

ScandalousBeauty

I know that it can make your hair too strong and snap it off if you use too much protein. So, how much is too much?

I have the Aphogee Treatment (is this a protein treatment?), as well as 4 other protein treatments from different brands. I guess I can't rotate them all once a week, keeping the aphogee on the 6th week?

Also, what are your favorite protein treatments?

angellazette

I think it's really hard to say what's too much because what may be too much for my hair, may not be enough for yours. So I would say that if you plan on using all of those regularly, you should be able to tell when you are using too much when your hair starts to become hard and brittle as you already mentioned. Always follow up with a great moisturizing conditioner.

baglady215

angellazette said:
I think it's really hard to say what's too much because what may be too much for my hair, may not be enough for yours. So I would say that if you plan on using all of those regularly, you should be able to tell when you are using too much when your hair starts to become hard and brittle as you already mentioned. Always follow up with a great moisturizing conditioner.

What she said!

Isis

I agree with Angellazette, especially about always using a great moisturizering conditioner after the protein.

You'll know when you are using too much protein because your hair will be hard and breakage can occur. I use a protein reconstructor - Keraphix and even this can be too much if I use it all of the time. I wash 2x each week so every 4 - 5 washes or so I intend to use Keraphix. This last time, I forgot to use it for several weeks and my hair is still doing fine although I used it today. I haven't tried any other brand of protein.

Also, make sure the protein reconstructor is rinsed off very well. It won't harm your hair if it isn't, but the hair can become a little stiff.

nchristina

I use the aphogee treatment every 6 to 8 weeks and the green tea spray after every wash or CW.

ETA: It is hard to say how much is too much for your hair. I have thin strand and this is what I use. My hair is healthy but I reinforce it with the protein treatments.

Last edited: